Computer Security ?

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
I'm am curious about the various methods people use to keep their computers secure. I'm not refering to hacking, but more towards physical security - ie someone (maybe even someone you know) steals your computer. This is the same computer that is used to maintain your online access to investments and so on. For example, do you use encrypted hard drives? I'm certain that I don't trust MSFT to make sure that passwords can't be extracted from a system (even if you instruct windows not to "remember" them).

If this has been asked and answered I apologize. The only hits I got with searching seemed to be related to someone hacking into a system. I'm already familiar with firewalls, and so forth.

Thanks,
Mike

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
For the ordinary 'computer thief' I rely on a well constructed password - although password cracking software can retrieve the passwords if you know what you are doing.

For the rest, I rely on a good lock at the door.

Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
You need a lot more than passwords. If you connect to the internet make shure your PC is configured well. Make shure you don't have any shares. Update to the latest Service Pack and Security Fixes.

I am a Security consultant here in the Dominican Republic. If you have questions send me a PM

Sakke28

Nov 26, 2003
100% security

Hi Michael and others!

Did You know that here in Finland they have developped a computer named Giwano. It is absolutely safe computer to use in internet. It consist of two different computers placed to the same box. The one for use in internet and the other for use to other applications. The data transfer between those units will happen using compact flash memory cards and both the units are galvanic isolated from each others. They deliver this product globally.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
There's no such thing as a 100% safe system.

Sounds more like Guano to me.

Tom (aka XR)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Michael Strong said:
You need a lot more than passwords. If you connect to the internet make shure your PC is configured well. Make shure you don't have any shares. Update to the latest Service Pack and Security Fixes.

The question was about physical security, i.e., if someone steals your computer...

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
Indeed. Hacking is pretty easy to prevent (unless NSA is after you). Don't open attachments, keep your firewalls up (router HW, and something like Zone Alarm), and practice virus checking. End of problem. Physical is tougher. I'm planning on converting to a laptop before I leave, so I think I'll invest in a USB / Firewire drive combined with some encryption software. Maybe keep the drive separate, although I can be pretty lazy about things like that.

Like the saying goes, I know I'm being paranoid, but the question is, am I being paranoid enough.

Mike

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Don?t forget spyware. With all the regular virus protection, firewalls and so on, it is necessary these days to see if any spyware just happened to be installed on your computer. The worst offenders here in my experience are the p2p services like kazaa.

Paranoid, no way - I?m not paranoid... not even my husband touches my computer.

Edited to add a good alternative - Buy a Macintosh!

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Is this a DR related question? Probably you won't get the best responses here on security.. and who cares if someone in the DR takes your machine? They won't be able to do anything with it anyways, they'll just erase the HD and sell it. You just need to have a good backup.

I personally just make sure I keep my place well locked, and don't let too many people in to see what I have. I also have it set up so you can enter my living room and not see the rest of my equipment. I have not had any troubles to date with theft.

I think this more depends on where you live.

Last edited:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Physical security of a computer, or of anything, is a huge problem in the DR. Any time you return to the premises it might be gone.

Concerning a portable hard drive, a better option than an external one might be to make your hard drive removable. That can be done by buying a plug-in (CD drive sized) panel into which you can attach your hard drive. Such can be bought for as little as $10. That gives plugin/remove access to the hard drive from the front panel. You can then simply turn off the computer, pull out the drive and take it with you whenever you want. For added sophistication, have a dummy (almost empty) one ready to replace it.

Another option is to keep nothing important on the hard drive but on a web site or remote computer (outside the DR).

As a consolation, if the computer is stolen in the DR, the motive is probably simple thievery. The thief is not necessarily trying to obtain sensitive information. Make the computer as inaccessable as reasonably possible. Place it far away from a door or window. Have lots of cables attached to it, even if they're dummies. Have decoy objects like vcr's and boom boxes between it and the door. Remember, the potential thief is not likely very sophisticated.

Someday, I believe that information stored on hard drives (or whatever the medium) will be completely safe. In fact, it won't be long. Computers are still getting faster even though they seem to have basically caught up to the primary tasks at hand now - music, video, internet.

So why do we need still faster computers? I think that it is for encryption, ultimately. Imagine the result when they get fast enough to encrypt the format itself of the hard drive (or other medium), as opposed to simply the data encryption of today. Then, the hard drive would simply be a piece of junk in anyone else's hands.

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
I think I have a pretty good picture now. Thanks everyone for your insights.

mike

Jonny

Dec 3, 2003
Use CryptoHeaven

I would strongly advise against storing any important information on your PC in DR - or anywhere in the world for that matter. For most people the information contained on their PC is worth far more then the computer itself.

I use and can highly recommend CryptoHeaven for storing all your important documents online. This way if your computer is ever stolen you do not loose your information.

You can use that service for secure document storage, secure email and secure instant messaging. It is very fast and easy to use, the encryption is transparent so you don't really have to know too much about computers to use it.

Here is the link:

<a href="http://www.cryptoheaven.com">www.cryptoheaven.com</a>

Jonny
jonny@cryptoheaven.com