Another DR driving licence question

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
What if you've never had a drivers licence, you've moved to the DR and now need to get one? If you're legal can you just take the tests? Is it possible to do the test in English?

Stay well,
Amy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No

We have to speak and read Spanish to get a license.

That doesn't mean that you have to really do that but that is the law. I am sure that there is a way around it.

I just go to Florida and get my license, where it takes like 2 hours...start to finish.

If you go to one of the "Driving Schools" they will train you to take the test, and, at least in the old days they had copies of the test foryou to practice on...Do not know if that is so nowadays...

But, and this is really terrible. You do not need a license. The car has to be insured, you can be insured. If you don't have a license the fine is like RD$50 pesos...(something I think that they are trying to change)

And too many people here know this and do not have licenses..and many don't have insurance either.

I am sure that a person with your language abilities can get throught the test...

HB

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Thanks HB

I think I might go to one of the driving schools ..... seems like such a small effort to avoid a LOT of trouble. Then again, I could always 'make' a South African license. I'm sure no one would know what they were looking at! But then I'd have to leave every 90 days - better just to take the test.

Stay well,
Amy