Hey, how many anglo speakers in DR.?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Just curious, yellow? Has anybody an idea as to what the anglo speaker population is in DR? Is it large enought to justify founding an english-language newspaper? Is there one already? I'm not aware of any. Judging by reading DR1 forum, there seems to be lots of well educated, knowledgeable hipsters there. I bet one of us could possibly have or can get the start-up capital to put one together. what you say?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Been their done that, got the ulcer...

DR1 was born out of an English language newspaper.
The Santo Domingo News (27 years in print).

If you have deep pockets, I'm sure we would be more than happy to help you out. Deep starts at around US$80-100,000.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
80k? reeely?

Hey, Robert , how 'bout putting together an edition and contracting out the actual printing to an establish press such as Listing Diario, El caribe etc. And maybe as a suplement to their daily editions? I can bet my shorts that you can sell lots of ad space to hotels, restaurants, and all kinds of businesses that cater to foreigners. you can publish ads in the major languages not just english. You can give free editions to arriving tourists at major airports. Correct me if I'm wrong: Isn't tourism the single most important industry in DR? How many millions of dollars does it generate annually? How about the thousands of people there that prefer to get their news in the most precised, logical language in the entire freaking universe? Viva la angla! Cogno!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We can offer you 27 years of experience in doing this in the DR.

Remember, this is the DR, things work a little differently here.

If you come up with the funding, we at DR1 are more than happy to show you how to do it.

Would you like our bank wire details?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Darn!!

Alrighty then, how about a weekly tabloid? for gowds sakes. There has got to be tens of thousands anglo speakers in DR! I mean, Jeeesh! There's no market for such a thing? Do we have to rely on the uninteligible Listing Diario to get our news? I mean how many thriving spanish-language papers are there in DR? Last time I visited,there were seven! In Santo Domingo alone! What are THEY doing to stay in the black? C'mon people help me here!

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Don Juan'

Just a thought.

Have you ever heard the expression "Wild ideas foster wild responses"?

The "Anglo" speakers live in all parts of the country. Would you send them a copy a day late?

Nor financially feasible.

Texas Bill

Texas Bill

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Juan,
Read Robert's lips ..... Been There, Done That & got the ulcer!! I used to read Puerto Plata News (a subsection of Santo Domingo News) & "She that must be Obeyed" even wrote articles for that journal! (Ahhhh, those were the days eh Dolores? Up in Hot air ballons at 6 in the morning & interviewing ship wrecked mariners at Long Beach!!!). The newspaper didn't bring in enough income to make it a viable proposition, especially with the advent of electronic messages etc.

Why should people spend out hard earned money on a paper edition when we have DR1 News?? We can get DR1 Travel News too & with DR1 notice boards, we are fully covered for news AND gossip on DR related topics. For International News we can call up any English speaking periodical or newspaper on the Internet.

To answer your initial question as to how many ANGLO speaking people are on the Island - I would suggest very few. There are numerous English (of various dialects & from multitudinous countries) speaking people here, but feware true Anglo Saxon speakers. - Grahame.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
No more "anglos"

Alright, alright I stand corrected. Robert's been there, done that. I'm sorry there isn't a paper that any of us can enjoy. I guess if there isn't one today well......... you know. Also sorry about the term "anglo", I meant it to be short for english-speaking. no offence.

Hey! How about an english-language radio station?!!!!!!

Last edited:

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
reading news through ....

online translator, obviously is a joke, so I would just like to have an ENGLISH Online version of one of the seven, altho' I do remember Santo Domingo News and did enjoy that,
thanks, Robert.
seems to be a good book day.....

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Sorry Don Juan, but I don't think the radio or even TV angle will work either. I think the DR has laws prohibiting transmissions in a foreign language (non-Spanish).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Like Bushbaby and She Who Must be Obeyed, I was a regular contributor to the weekly Santo Domingo/ Puerto Plata News for a number of years, doing a weekly column and feature articles from Samana. It was a great newspaper and certainly met a need, but over the years I could see the number of ads decrease as other mediums became available. I was sorry to see the paper close, but understood the reason.

DR1 with its daily news summary and knowledgeable posters ready to answer questions is a great replacement.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Your be pleased to know that many local Dominicans read and prefer our news. Especially in the business community.

They tell us it cuts out a lot of the BS, is unbiased and saves them time.
Plus stories are often backed up with information from "credible" sources.

The radio station idea has merit, but you need to focus it towards tourism and come up with multiple revenue streams.
Plus how to collect revenue so you have a steady cash flow. When you can answer those questions, then we are more than happy to invest in the project.

The two biggest problems here are distribution and collection. Trust me, it ain't easy!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Robert, do you have any demographics of your list? ie how many are Dominican nationals in the DR vs expats in the DR vs Dominicans in the US?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
What about English radio?

I think an English radio station would be cool, maybe the startup costs would be less as well. It seems to me that most radio stations here are pretty shoestring budget, so entry may be cheaper than anyone suspects. With the right connections and payouts, official licensing could probably be postponed indefinitely. I think there may be listeners looking for any non-merengue/bachata/salsa programming, news and local commentary in english and advertizers willing to promote to the expat and visitor crowd. We are consumers, most of us desperately seking higher than usual levels of service and quality and most willing to pay a (reasonable) premium for it.

I have never spent time in SD, maybe there are english radio stations there, but here in Santiago and on the North Coast I would rather listen to conchos honking horns than local radio.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: What about English radio?

[B]MrMike[/B] said:
With the right connections and payouts, official licensing could probably be postponed indefinitely.
I don't think so. Seemingly Indotel is doing a good job enforcing the new Communications Law. I also heard somewhere that no new stations will be created, you are left then to buy one of the existing ones and unless you buy La 91 FM no other radio station reaches the whole country.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
adrianb said:
Robert, do you have any demographics of your list? ie how many are Dominican nationals in the DR vs expats in the DR vs Dominicans in the US?

I can tell you that 20% (2,600+) of our Daily News subscribers are local. I cannot tell you how that breaks down.

We get lot's of feedback from the local market, so we know we are reaching at least some of them.

Anyone, who is anyone is a subscriber to the Daily News. Also more of the larger external financial groups are starting to use DR1 to get their reports into the local market.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I used to read the Sto Dgo News and the Puerto Plata News

They were witty and informative. Even had a column in German if memory serves. Some good Brit humor, too.

However, without government advertising, ie., official notices and so forth, and a large ad base it just wasnot viable.

In San Juan, I used to read the San Juan Star, a very good, prize winning, paper. But I don't think it is still being printed...

As for the English language radio?? The demografics would have to be targeted towards the NYC rap, gangsta, hip-hop crowd. Good luck.

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Damn HB,
Does that mean a BBC (Bush Broadcasting Corporation) with a "Proper" English voice (plums & all in the mouth) isn't going to be viable here??? And here was I thinking I had just the right voice to communicate with all the US Americans, Canadians, upperclass Dominicans etc!! Just have to leave that to Golo I suppose??!!

Ahh well, back to the drawing board for another look for a 'Late Life' profession!! 'Till then I suppose I will have to rely on Golf (& lots of wishful thinking/dreaming) to keep me occupied!! - Grahame.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
Your be pleased to know that many local Dominicans read and prefer our news. Especially in the business community.

They tell us it cuts out a lot of the BS, is unbiased and saves them time.
Plus stories are often backed up with information from "credible" sources.

Robert is right. Is not only business people who read DR1 to see what is going on. People at the World Bank in DC do, State Department....and even a certain place across the river from me. Heehee. It is called what hippo does not have.