Methane/Biogas/Biodiesel

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
What about methane digestion

Ok what about methane digestion. The burn the methane in internal combustion engine. They do it in India all the time. Villages start co-ops where all the farmers bring their manure to be digested. Then when the manure is processed they get back the ready to use fertilizer and the village gets the electricity.
Animal waste can be used and a mixture of vegetable waste can be added. I don?t remember the ratio. This was researched back in my move up in the hills and become a survivalist days.
Anyway small-scale village owned I think would be the way to go. If you have black out you have only yourself to blame.
John
edited for spelling

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Re: What about methane digestion

jsizemore said:
Ok what about methane digestion. The burn the methane in internal combustion engine. They do it in India all the time. Villages start co-ops where all the farmers bring their manure to be digested. Then when the manure is processed they get back the ready to use fertilizer and the village gets the electricity.
Animal waste can be used and a mixture of vegetable waste can be added. I don?t remember the ratio. This was researched back in my move up in the hills and become a survivalist days.
Anyway small-scale village owned I think would be the way to go. If you have black out you have only yourself to blame.
John
edited for spelling
JS,
Yeah, there are very interesting experiments underway in Latin America along these lines. Santiago, Chile's bus system is increasingly run using a mixture that involves methane captured from landfills (I have a paper on the project done by the official in charge, in case you're interested). The sanitation company for Rio de Janeiro, COMLURB, has experimented with running all their vehicles off methane captured from their landfill (I can put you in touch with the appropriate officials there, if you're interested. Be forewarned, not all of them speak English or Spanish). It's do-able.

I also know of a very interesting experiment in Peru, conducted by IPES (http://www.ipes.org/ProgramaGA.htm), with help from PGU-ALC, to collected used vegetable oil from restuarants and chicken fry stands, "re-refine" it (basically filter out contaminants) and run motor vehicles with it. I have an interesting Powerpoint presentation on it if you're interested, just PM or e-mail me and I'll sent it along.

Best Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
hippies

I am not really in a position to do much now. My resources are more on the individual level when I finally get down to the D.R. I do know that with the trouble with power and so forth I was thinking of setting up my homestead as an independent small village. I know that since my Fianc? is from a poor family and if I live there I will be stuck with her family around either way so I was just figuring I would homestead and put them to work feeding themselves and taking care of our own energy needs as far as possible.
Thanks for the offer though. As far as using vegetable for fuel hippies were doing that for years. Mother Earth News is filled with info on that. Wood gasification and methane digesters and so forth. Many homesteads in the US use all of the above as well as heating water with compost piles. I know that is not something needed in the D.R. but it is done.
John

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Re: hippies

jsizemore said:
I am not really in a position to do much now. My resources are more on the individual level when I finally get down to the D.R. I do know that with the trouble with power and so forth I was thinking of setting up my homestead as an independent small village. I know that since my Fianc? is from a poor family and if I live there I will be stuck with her family around either way so I was just figuring I would homestead and put them to work feeding themselves and taking care of our own energy needs as far as possible.
Thanks for the offer though. As far as using vegetable for fuel hippies were doing that for years. Mother Earth News is filled with info on that. Wood gasification and methane digesters and so forth. Many homesteads in the US use all of the above as well as heating water with compost piles. I know that is not something needed in the D.R. but it is done.
John

Cool. Be interested in seeing some of that stuff. Been awhile since I delved into ME News.

I have a Dominican friend who is doing some very interesting personal experiments with composting and worms and is convinced that every Dominican household could take care of a huge portion of their waste output with a small worm colony and some practical training. Hey JM, I know you're lurking on DR1, why don't you educate the folks on how this might be done in the Dominican context?

He is of the feeling -- and I tend to agree with him -- is that alot could be accomplished in the DR through "down to earth solutions" harnessing the power of community participation and education. I know that the Peace Corps has attempted to do just that in places like Ecuador -- anyone here on the board, whether in the Corps or not -- know of a similar project in the DR?

Best Regards,
Keith

Last edited:

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
hippie want to be

Ok my background. West Virginia Six generation is a county with no stoplights to this day. I am the first generation with electricity and plumbing. I still have relatives that live with out modern conveniences.
In Honduras and Thailand I saw 1/6 acre or so fish ponds about 3 feet deep with chicken houses over top of them. The chickens were fed garden waste and the fish fed off of the Manure and alga. The water from the ponds was use as a manure tea to fertilize crops.
Now I do not know how a plan I had for homesteading in a temperate zone would work in D.R. but I will give you the run down of what I had researched as a teenager and found it still is relevant.
I would have set up a series of ponds. In those ponds I would have used cattails and other water plants that had edible parts. I would harvest the plants and feed them to goats and rabbits. (Rabbits unfit for D.R. due to heat I believe.) I would process all animal waste in a methane digester and produce natural gas. I would have worm beds to process the sludge left from methane digestion and all plant waste. The worms I would use to feed fish in the ponds and chickens set up in pens around my gardens. The chickens in the pens would provide natural pest control as wel as eggs and meat. The worm casting I would use for potting soil in the raised beds of my gardens. The excess and wasted crops would be fed to hogs. The Goats would be used for dairy and meet. Excess milk also goes to the hogs. The methane would be used for generators for electricity. Crops in the gardens would be high priced truck crops.
A few years ago there was a variety of Strawberry that was produced that was day neutral so it could be grown in greenhouses year round. I have read the info about bringing new plants each year into Haiti and growing strawberries there. If the day neutral variety could grow in the D.R. without the need for constant plant replacement from outside sources then strawberries and lettuce grown in heavy shade would be good money crops.
Someplace in a scrapbook I have the figures but off the top of my head I can give you this. A one-acre body of water with out outside food and aeration will produce 1000 pounds of edible fish per year. Fish give you a return of over 70% of meat produced per input of feed. If aeration and outside feeding is given then the carrying capacity is 10,000 pounds per year. For each pound of animal waste a methane digester will produce 3 cubic feet of methane.
Well when I have more time in a month or so when I am back in from sea I can look up more.
John
Edited to add link on strawberries
http://www.tropical-seeds.com/tech_forum/fruits_anon/strawberries.html

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
JS,
West (by God!) Virginia????? Man, what a coincidence! I was raised in Huntington. While we had electricity, stoplights and indoor plumbing, I know well of many places in WVa which still do not to this day.

HB and kingofdice are also West Virginians participating on this board. Look out, folks! We're taking over! ;)

LOL

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Clay

I am from Clay and the population is 11000. Like I said no stop lights. I knew HB was from Kanawha County. My sister went to Marshall and my old National Guard Unit before I joined the Navy was at the Tristate Airport in Ceredo.
My dream after I get my Fiance up here and I retire fromt he Navy is to hoemstead in the D.R. My pension will be $1500 a month and I am building assets slowly now. I retire in under two years. I am probably going to use my Gi Bill and Finish the two A.S. degress I am with in a semster each in and follow through with one B.A. Tnat should use up my benifits pretty well.
I like to explain to people when they call me a redneck that a hillbilly is the highest level that rednecks wish they could attain.
John

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
do I need another thread

My comments have been somewhat related to waste recovery but with a slant toward homesteading. Does another thread need to be looked at or the subject still valid for this thread?

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
what about small scale

HB what do you feel about small scale such as the type that are used in villages in India and China. I feel if someone were going to be playing at farming and just trying to be busy enough to keep pride going then a small scale biogas system would be a cost effective way of cutting out the grid and having full time "LUZ".
Maybe it is my West Virginia roots coming through but I got to stay a redneck.
John
http://www.knowledgebank.irri.org/troprice/Biogas.htm

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Well, I've got to jump on the West Virginia bandwagon. And I know a bunch of Sizemores, because I was raised in Clay county.

But back to this methane subject for energy conversion. My family gets royalties from natural gas wells on our property in Clay Co. At present, the latest thing before the WV legislature is property owner rights regarding methane..

Therefore, my question: Since Methane deposits usually pocket a few hundred feet or less under the surface, do such deposits exist in the D.R? If so, the cost to drill would be a lot less and would be a cheaper source of energy for the country. Has this been looked at by the Dominican government or private companies?

Last, not much mention of wind generated power? Wouldn't it be a hell of alot cheaper to generate electricity for the country, by putting up dozens of 250 ft. tall windmill turbines? This would reduce dependency on buying oil from Venzuela and other countries to supply generating plants.

Any comments?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is gittin' tah bee a Wes' Virginny page!

By Gawd!

We done talked about win' and such. We's gotten a feller like TOM F (?) who's dune a bunch o' stuff w' solar an' wind. Yah git mah drif??

Seems like there are three places identified as good wind sources, one out East, one near Samana and one ontheNorth Coast, iffin I recall.

I's purty shure we ain't got no methane, with all the holes they's been a pokin' into this place lookin' for water an' erl. Wud'a blowd 'em up fur sure...

Gotta go feed the hogs.. see all y'all later down the hollar...

HB

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
HB, ...thought there might be some underground methane in the D.R. I will peruse the archives on wind power, but seems like that would be a good way to go. Don't know if it would produce all the megawatts needed, especially for a metropolis like Santo Domingo.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Clay County Sizemores

If You Know R.T. Sizemore of Sizemore?s IGA in Clay he is my First Cousin. If you knew E.J. Sizemore who had the grocery store at the lower end of town in the early 70s and was killed in 1975 that was my dad. If you know John A. Sizemore of Hartland Retired Coal miner. That is my uncle. If you know Edward Jesse Sizemore of Clay Surveyor that is my brother. Every Single Sizemore in the County is my kin as well as every Sizemore in KY. NC. VA. And TN. but I can only tell you how close for the Clay ones.
Has anyone looked at wood gasification for small-scale generation?
John
P.S. my family has been in Clay or Roane County since before they were counties.
I will be in Sosua on 16 December for ten warm days.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I mentioned in an earlier post experiments elsewhere in Latin America on utilizing methane recovered from landfills to power vehicles or run industrial boilers. I just ran across an interesting article about a project in the US intended to tap landfill methane to cut the energy costs of a SC Johnson manufacturing plant: http://www.jsonline.com/news/racine/mar03/123597.asp

Seems to me this could be possible done in the DR, perhaps to provide power to an industrial zone or a free zone...

You might say, well, Keith, the DR doesn't have a real landfill to tap. True enough, but a Brazilian environmental engineer friend of mine, Jose Henrique Penido -- in fact, the guy who runs such a project for Rio de Janeiro -- claims in a 1996 paper he gave me that

Even an open dump is suitable for a recovery installation, once it has received a sufficient quantity of waste (about 100.000 tons, which is the amount produced by a 50.000
inhabitants city in nine years) and is disposed with an eight meters thickness, at least.

The open dump has to be prepared properly to be able to tap its methane, but such recovery systems can be "extremely simple" according to Penido. The recovered gas can not only be used for industrial boilers and furnances or to power vehicles, but also for domestic use -- cooking, lighting, refrigeration etc....

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
ld news but forgotten news

In london in the Jack the Ripper days the street lights were gas lights. The gas source was sewer gas. So here we are trying to enlighten the third world when we should look at what works.
John