Scuba Diving in dR..going tomorrow...help!!!

D

Deanna

Hi. I'm staying at Juan Dolio beach tomorrow at Coral Costal Caribe Hotel. I heard that the scuba diving and snorkeling in DR is not all that great. Does anyone know of this particular beach that i will be at? Also, i'm not a certified diver, and i know in Mexico you can scuba dive without it, are they the same in DR? Please write back ASAP, i'm leaving tomorrow. Thanks

J

Jodi

Hi Deanna...first of all, let me tell you that I am extremely jealous that you're leaving for the DR tomorrow!

Okay, now that that's out of the way....I'm not familiar with your hotel however I can tell you that free scuba lessons are given at the Decamaren Resort (Juan Dolio) by the Boca Chica Resort Dive Centre. You do not have to be a certified diver. Below is a copy of a post I recently made in response to someone else's dive question:

The diving in the Boca Chica area is quite good. There is a PADI dive centre run out of the Boca Chica Resort's watersports centre. The number is 809-523-4521 ext 353. Dives are $50 U.S. each...less if you buy a package. There are divers there who speak Spanish, English, German, French and Italian. Your dive will also be recorded on a professional quality video available for you to purchase at $50 U.S.....Tell them Jodi sent you.

D

denise

You are so lucky. If you take an underwater camera, don't do what I did and forget it on the boat! Put a sticker on it somewhere with your name and hotel name and home address or something in case it gets lost! If I would have done that I wouldn't be missing my 27 underwater, beautiful pictures. Have a blast! Signed, DR vacation lover!

J

Jim Hinsch

As with almost all resorts in the Caribbean that offer scuba diving, you will find what is offered is called "resort certification". This usually involves a few hours of instruction in writing and in a pool and a dive the same day, with an instructor, typically a 30 foot dive. The "resort certification" is good for more of the supervised dives during your stay but is useless once you leave the resort. Some resorts do not charge for this service.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

J

Jodi

With the Boca Chica Resort dive centre, the free lesson in the pool lasts for a couple of hours...longer if you require more time. There is no written lesson. As lessons are given in the afternoon and the best time to dive is first thing in the morning, your beginner dive would be arranged for another day.

D

Doreen

I don;t think your message stated how long you are staying for...but I recommend you get the lesson as soon as you can because there is a 24-48 hour window you are supposed to keep from diving before you fly again (to do with air pressure/oxygen in the blood?)..so check into this. I think it's pretty important. Enjoy every minute! And yes the dive sites aren;t the best, but when you are new, it's still exciting and you'll see some great things.