Where can I find fresh fruits and vegetables?

Dominique

Dec 8, 2003
Hi,

How are you all doing? ;)

I was wondering where I can buy fresh fruits and vegetables, if possible organic. A fresh food market maybe. Is there something like this in Santo Domingo?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes,

Dominique

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Supermercado Nacional Comes to Mind

A 50,000 square foot supermarket with many kinds of food, fruit included. Snato Domingo must have thousands of groceries and such. Are you there now and are unable to find any stores?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Most supermarkets have an organic section now, and I would single out Bravo on Ave. Churchill for the freshest selection of all fruit and veg. I buy my organic veg from Mercado Ecologico on Calle Leonor Feltz, Mirador sur. They call or e-mail you once a week (Weds) with what is going to be available, you place your order and they have it on the Friday - they deliver or you can collect.

Their e-mail address is fama@codetel.net.do

Tel 482 7463

More info in this article.

Chiri

Dominique

Dec 8, 2003
Hi Chiri,

Thank you for your fast reply! You've been of great help to me.

I was aware that some supermarkets have small organic food sections, but they mostly sell only up to four different kinds of organic food, and not always fresh.

I've heard about a market where fresh fruits and veggies of all kinds are sold, even fish and meat, and herbs and nuts. Do you have any idea where this could be? It's said that this market is where all trucks bring their food right after they transport it from the inner part of the country.

Best wishes,

Dominique ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Your best bet is the Mercado de Productores at La Feria Ganadera which is on the Malecon (not sure how many kms to the west) near the Presidente Factory. I think the area is called El Cacique. Veg and fruit there is fresh and cheaper than the supermarkets, but if you are obviously foreign beware being charged gringo rates!

I am not sure if it is on every day, it is defintely there all weekend. I tend to go on Sunday mornings and it is a fairly pleasant place, although so much more could be done with it.

If you have kids it is a nice place for them to see farm animals and there are several people offering horse and pony rides.

There is a smart restaurant there as well as several comedores populares.

There are also markets in other parts of the city, like Ave. Mella surrounding the Mercado Modelo crafts and souvenir market.

Chiri