Wireless with Flash?

S

Stephen

Question, I am not sure whether I understood the tecnicians at Codetel FLASH or whether they understood me.

I have wireless DSL in the US, so I figured that all I had to do was buy a wireless router and install it on my flash here. It won't work, and Codetel says it won't work.

Anyone know if this is true? I just figured that the wireless part was a function of the router and it I had a wireless router and a wireless card in my laptop that it would work.

So, I disconnected it, put my previous back and everything works fine with cables.

ANYONE KNOW IF YOU CAN USE WIRELESS IN THE DR???

THANKS

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Sounds Like

You just replaced the wrong part. You must use the Codetel router. But I don't see how there'd be a problem taking the 10Base-T ethernet into a wireless hub, or WAP. Fromt there any machine on the LAN should be fine, wireless or not.

Tom (aka XR)

S

Stephen

Thanks for the reply Tom,

but I guess that I should have said that I replaced the hub???
I get confused with the router and the hub.

I kept the codetel box (modem) that the phone line plugs into, then took the line from that out to the WAN port of the wireless router and then went to the WIRED computer first in order to set it up, but couldn't get it to work??

I don't know, I just getting very confused because when I connected it in the US everything worked fine!

Thanks

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
I think you need to read the router's manual to reconfigure the network settings on it. Since you have a different IP address and everything, the router's settings just probably needs to be changed.

S

Stephen

A simplier question!

....does anyone have their codetel DSL connected to a wireless router in the DR??

Thanks

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yes, our office has been wirless with Flash for over a year.

It's very simple, you just plug the Codetel DSL modem into your wireless router and it works :)

You do not need a router from Codetel.

What wireless router are you using?
What wireless cards are you using?

This stuff is always a little tricky to do over the Internet.
Are you in the capital? I'm more than happy to take a look.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
You may also need to set up your networking a little differently on your computer. Let Robert take a look, or if you?re on the North Coast, I?d be happy to take a look. Don?t worry, scores of technical people get confused with the differences between a router and a hub. And those who tell you that they know the difference definitively, are defnitely confused.
;)

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
JDub said:
I think you need to read the router's manual to reconfigure the network settings on it. Since you have a different IP address and everything, the router's settings just probably needs to be changed.

I agree that this is probably where the issue is.

A wireless router contains a bunch of settings such as the IP addressing from your old ISP and possibly WEP settings as well.

If you have the manual for your router you should be able to figure out how to reset it and then enter your new settings. Some routers have the manual built into them which you can connect to with a LAN cable and read via your browser.

If you don't have the manual or can't access the router's internal manual, get to another computer and go to the router Mfr.'s site and look for an online coy of the manual for your specific model.

Also, if you use XP and have turned on the ICF, I'm told it should be turned off when used with a router, which acts as it's own firewall and will conflict with ICF. (I'm no networking expert... just stuff I learned when setting up my own wireless router.)

Dave

S

Stephen

Maybe I need to clarify

1. I have Codetel Flash. It presently works with the codetel Zyxel Prestige 600 modem. I then have a US Robotics 5 port 10/100 Ethernet switch, which runs via cable to 3 computers and they all work fine.

2. I bought a new DLINK DI-624 Wireless Router (802.11g). I have the manual etc and know how to install it because I have done it in the US.

SO,

Now, someone is telling me that the reason it will not work is because with the modem codetel uses, each computer is getting a separate IP address (which I know is true, cause each one is one number higher than the other). Dynamic/static blah blah blah which I don't understand.

Do i need a wireless switch, instead of a wireless router?

If anyone can give me any insight into this matter it would be greatly appreciated and also maybe help anyone that plans on trying to go wireless from this point on!

Thanks

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
www.coralbayrealestate.com
Wireless LAN

Stephen,

I have the same set up which works perfectly. You need to change the settings on your wireless LAN config page.

This is a http:// address which you access via a browser. Make sure you use a standard ethernet connection for the config. and do not try to use the wireless connection.

Go to the home page and WAN settings. Enter in the information from the Codetel box re:

- IP address
- Subnet Mask
- ISP Gateway address
- Primary DNS
- Secondary DNS

All this information is on the leaflet in the codetel box.

Once you have set up a "wired" connection, install your PCI card. If you are using D-Link cards, this will not need any additional configuration to talk to the router.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have or at least had flash for about a year using with a linksys wireless access point/hub. I actually have 2 access points because wireless signal through cinder block sucks;-)

I didn't bothe confifuring the router, I just put the IP address and DNS stuff that codetel recommends into my network settings on my laptop.

I am not sure you plug the modem into WAN. I think you should try uplink as some of the codetel modems are also routers?

Also when you have hooked it all up have you done an IP config release and renew? The wireless is probably sending you an IP over DHCP which is different that what codetel gives you.

S

Stephen

Finally

First I would like to thank all of you who gave me information in order to help me install my wireless router. I tried and tried for about 2 days straight and finally gave up. Some DR1's even sent me emails etc.

Last night, after 2 months of just forgetting about it, I was thinking about it again, and woke up this morning and again installed the router and within 5 minutes I had all three of my computers (wired) connected and my laptop (wireless) working.

It is really easy when you THINK about it, and if anyone wants such a service I know mine works and I have the DLINK AirPlus Extreme G #DI-624.

I get a 54mbp connection on most of the first floor with an "excellent" connection and when I go to the second floor it drops off. Of course the ONLY place that I really wanted the laptop to work wireless was in the far bedroom on the second floor and that's where it loses signal. BUT at least I can go outside and in all the first floor with the laptop and not have to be tied to the desktop in my office.

Thanks again.

Stephen

Last edited:

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
I was just checking the verizon page about the coverage, it says among others, Puerto Plata. Has anyone information if this does include Sosua as well?
Just don't feel like calling 220-1111 to hear "Yes, I think it should work there as well..."

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I have 2 access points in my apartment. I use linksys. I set the first one to the IP address codetel wants, and I have it serve DHCP addresses to the wired and wireless computers.

To add a second wap, I needed to change the IP for the second WAP, and turn off DHCP or the two WAP/routers wind up fighting each other. I ran a cable from the first WAP in the bedroom to the second in the living room, that way I get great signal any where in my apartment or balcony. Of course it is a small place.

I guess that sort of defeats going wireless, but it works for me. I know that hawking sells booster antenae as well. I know they work with linksys not sure about dlink. So plugging more powerful antenae into the WAP might get your reach up to the second floor.

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Flash, yes, I have this too in Sosua.
But wireless?
We're talking "Flash M?vil 3G", aren't we?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
MR Mike does Rockys have a wireless access point? To me any business in the DR with Flash should set up a WAP as it will draw in more business. If Rocky's has a WAP, I know where I will spend most of my time in Sosua!

I know codetel has a WAP at a few universities in Santo Domingo and also in the Acropolis. Not sure what kind of coverage they get in Acropolis, but if I can sit at the bar in Fridays and be online. . . . .I will eat at Fridays more often.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Last I checked they did not, I had my wireless laptop with me so I would have liked it if they did.

If i spent more time in Sosua I would donate one to them, but since I don't I will sell them one at cost if they're interested. (I like Rocky's - it's a great place)

I don't know how much of a business draw it would be, since most people don't have wireless laptops - and that kind of customer tends to be a bit of a camper. (don't consume much during a very long visit) It would definitely be cool though.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Me too! Never thought of that. Let's start hassling Marco.
You can buy a wirless access point or router for US$60-80 these days.

Last edited:

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
WAP and Wi-Fi are two different animals

I think some folks are confusing WAP with Wi-Fi.

WAP = Wireless Application Protocol and for lack of a more official definition is a methodology for browsing on a mobile phone or PDA. It has nothing to do with what is being discussed in this thread.

Wi-Fi (802.11) is a close range (a couple hundred feet or less) wireless extension (access point) of some form of Internet service. If you have DSL or cable for example, you can buy a wireless router to connect your DSL or cable modem to.

From the wireless router (operating in one of 3 versions of the 802.11 standard, usually b or a) you can connect to other computing devices if they are equipped with a compatible 802.11 device, such as a PCMCIA card for a laptop. USB Wi-Fi connectors are available for the PC and printers was well.

Many laptops and PDA's are now coming with Wi-Fi/802.11 built into them.

When you hear people referring to a wireless "Hot Spot," that is a Wi-Fi access point which is not encrypted and is therefore open to access by any Wi-Fi enabled device which comes within range. This is what is becoming more common in restaurants, hotels, etc. Some are free... some require payment for use.

For home users of Wi-Fi you don't want your connection open to other devices, so you should enable WEP (Wireless Encryption Protocol) in your router and mating Wi-Fi receiver(s).

There is a ton of information on all this on the Web. (Web=Internet, not to be confused with WAP or WEP!!)