Red Sox open new baseball academy

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I was fortunate enough to take in the inauguration of the Boston Red Sox Baseball Academy in El Toro today.

Hippo of course delayed everything by an hour and a half, showing up when he felt like it. The roads leading to the complex were littered with M-16 toting militia a full two hours before his arrival, beating the bushes, double coverage on all crossroads.

The festivities were pretty neat, at least for me. I got to talk to many people I never would have imagined having the chance to. It was obvious this was more about developing youngsters in the DR more than it was about developing players for the Red Sox.

They seem committed to helping the players develop into quality, value based young men, as well as ballplayers. This was emphasized by every speaker.

They also announced the signing of a highly touted local by the name of Luis Soto (or Sojo) from Bani. He was there with his parents and Pedro gave him an earful of inspiration and advice.

David Ortiz was really funny. The President of Public Affairs did his best in doing the presentation in Spanish and I'm going out on a limb here, but I think my Spanish is better. When he introduced Ortiz, David said "man you speak funny" to a loud round of laughter as it summed up everyones thoughts. Really funny moment.

Pedro was as smooth as silk, and very gracious in his time with everyone. I was impressed, also by his yellow H4.

The president wore a Sox cap and ran down the line of players on the 3rd baseline just before the ribbon cutting, clapping all the players hands as if he was being introduced at the All-Star game. I was just hoping he'd trip.

I'm 6'2" and all but one of the kids was taller than me. Just pure athletic monsters, huge hands, built to win.

Also in attendance, Luis Tiant, the Alous, Ramon Martinez, Junior Neboa, Cesar Cedeno and many others whose names I couldn't place.

A Boston reporter I struck up a conversation with asked to borrow my phone as his went dead. Little did I know at the time, but he was breaking a story on the owner lashing out at Nomar Garciappara's agent. I came home to find it on the front page of Boston.com.

Like I said, "neat" for me. I'll have some pictures available tomorrow if Robert sees it in his heart to keep the thread open, it being ALL DOMINICAN!

shopgirl

Nov 13, 2003
i'll be on the north coast in late December and would enjoy attending any games scheduled.....the DR baseball site is down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Cleef

Nice report!!
Questions for you:

1)Were you able to find out who was the chick that accompanied Pedro Martinez?

2)How many people threw-up when Hipolito threw the ball and saw his big "panza" sticking out with loose shirt buttons?

3)How many ribbons did our "stupid bald one" cut out and gave out to the "lambones" there?

4)Is it true that Luis Soto got a signing bonus of US$500,000?

5)Did they say what position was Alex Rodriguez going to play in Boston with Garciaparra at short? Is there another trade coming?

TW

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Re: Cleef

Golo100 said:
Nice report!!
Questions for you:

1)Were you able to find out who was the chick that accompanied Pedro Martinez?

2)How many people threw-up when Hipolito threw the ball and saw his big "panza" sticking out with loose shirt buttons?

3)How many ribbons did our "stupid bald one" cut out and gave out to the "lambones" there?

4)Is it true that Luis Soto got a signing bonus of US$500,000?

5)Did they say what position was Alex Rodriguez going to play in Boston with Garciaparra at short? Is there another trade coming?
TW

Thanks.

1 - No I wasn't able to find out who she was, other than she was with him, shame on me for not finding out. She was gorgeous from 15ft., cute from 3ft. She was not introduced as part of his clan nor was she near him at all during any parts of the ceremony, perhaps after though, I didn't stay for what looked like a party of mongering. I only took notice after overhearing some crude comments from some of the low lifes. Although there were very few, their untoward comments brought them out of the woodwork - the old saying.... "you can dress them up, but....."

Also, I regret to say I blew through 2 rolls of film like this was a martian landing and I'd discovered how they press those crops down into neat geometric shapes. So I didn't take any picture of the cutie.

2 - The only one I thought really was loathsome of Hippo - outwardly - was Pedro. He didn't seemed thrilled to be near him and I thought I picked up on a reluctance to shake Hippos hand. For instance after his speech, he came back and shook hands with all of the brass that were seated around him, sans the bald one. Not a huge deal as it may have been in recognition of the organizations involvement in bringing together this project, but I was looking for just such notice, and found it.

In addition, when approaching the tents where the media session was held, Pedro did not accompany the presedential entourage as did everyone else. Perhaps I'm reading more into this than is valid, but again, just my notice.

Hippo was dressed nicely in a suit, presumably because he had another, more formal ceremony to attend down the street afterwards at the Military Academy*.

*I'm assuming that it's some sort of Armed Forces Academy, something like that. Just down the street, closer to the little town.

3 - Didn't notice any of that.

4 - True. Not a huge amount, very good, but nothing out of the ordinary. In addition, with 9/11's effects, there is no longer the inherent risk of Luis being 24, with 4 kids, as was the case in prior signings. He seemed like a nice kid, did all the right things and I doubt he isn't worth it if they would go through this effort to put him on stage. A hunch, but a pretty good one I think.

5 - ARod is a SS. Nomar, if he stays - which is unlikely it seems - would move to 2b - a dire need - or as I'd prefer, an outfielder. More likely to the Dodgers for Odalis Perez, Paul Loduca. Loduca and others would then be shipped to Oakland for one of their stud younger pitchers - in the minors, the name escapes me.

This still has a long way to go, and is obviously dependent on ARod defering money to make the deal happen. LONG way to go.

I'll have pictures up shortly.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Cleef

I read in ESPN that John Henry threw some parting shots from the Santo Domingo Boston Red Sox Academy at Garciaparra's agent, who has been complaining of treason by the Sox for attempting this trade with Alex.

From reports I read Garciaparra has no place in Boston if they bring Alex. He would be shipped out, like you mention, for players or prospects, likely from the Dodgers. Garci boy will be very upset if the deal does not go thru.

By the way, I saw in a TV news program where Pedro held the hand of that dark skin girl(very pretty in film). They had to be dating for sure. There is a Venezuelan talk show hostess who is dying for Pedro and has even written a short story about her love for Pedro. I guess she will be very upset to see these pictures.

I confirmed that Soto signed for US$500,000.

TW

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Found a picture of her

I can send it to you if you?d like, she?s definitely cute. Good for him.

JWH did flame back at Arm Tellum, the SS?s agent. The reporter who broke the story on Boston.com actually used my cell to do it. His wouldn?t work out in the swamp. I thought that was pretty neat, something to tell my...... oh nevermind.

My hunch is that if they get Arod they will trade Garciappara, however, they have him signed for another year, so there is the potential for him to stay and move positions. Until which time they get the value they are looking for, they have this luxury. Doubtful, but then again so was Schilling a month ago.

Never know.

The new kid - I?ve seen his name listed as ?Soto?and ?Sojo?was listed in the Listin at $510K, for what it?s worth. He?s a SS, slick fielding and switch hitter. Strong from the left side and very developed as a hitter; hits off speed stuff, pulls inside pitches. Could be a quick riser, perhaps in Spring Training in 2005.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
It's in San Isidro by what the paper says

It's before Boca Chica on the old road leading east, inland from the current road to the airport.

I went through Port au Prince to get there it seemed, but it's about 40 minutes N/NE of Santo Domingo.

It is on the same road as a couple other baseball academies and a few military instalations (sp?).

The largest baseball academy in the world (supposedly) will be completed just down the road from it shortly; 7 fields, and supported by 5 MLB teams.

Not positive, but that's what I hear; Seattle, Arizona and Florida among them.

Last edited: