Companies and Spamming

kraiosis

Nov 17, 2003
www.macorisnetwork.com
There are alot of companies making business by using mail spamming. The bad side its that in Dominican Republic we dont have a law that protect us as users. im getting an average of 6 non-solicited mail to my private e-mail accounts whitout any suscription to those sites that send me emails. I hope somebody can help us to fix this problem in our country. This contributes to the products piracy likes music, videos, movies cos almost the 80% of those emails are promoting ilegal services.

If someboby has the same problem im preparing a report to denounce at INDOTEL all these companies that are using spamming on DR.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It has to be Codetel that is giving/selling addresses to the spammers. I have a Codetel email address that I almost never use, and have never sent email from it to anybody in the DR. But I do get mail, all of it spam from DR politicians and businesses.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I wish......

......I was getting 6 spams a day. I currently recieve about 70 to 80 per day. Nothing I've done seems to help. Any computer gurus out there with a suggestion.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I ended up killing the codetel email address. Since I use other addresses Codetel was just getting spam.

[Monty Python] Lovely spam, wonderful spam... spam, spam, spam! [/MP]

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is this on your Yahoo account or a different one? I've got several Yahoo addresses and I find that lately Yahoo has been doing a better job of pulling out spam and putting it in bulk mail for me to check to be sure it is spam. Also, when you get spam are you taking the minute it takes to let Yahoo know the message is spam. They claim to be using this input to improve their filtering process.

I also have a fastmail account and they have a good filtering system. In addition to their own filtering, each user can add his own rules as to what he wants in his inbox and what he wants in a junk folder.

But then I get my mail online. If I were using Outlook, Eudora, or one of those programs I'd try the most higly rated span filtering program I could find.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Spam is Bad!

I use a commercial spam filter that filters everything where the e-mail address is not in my address book. I then have a choice to quickly scan through and decide what I want to let through.

It was quite hard to be disciplined when I started this, but it has worked very well since. I do lose a legitimate message or two now and again, but that is the price for freedom from spam. Sometimes one or two spams get through as well. These are few and I can deal with them. (300 plus spam a day in all my mailboxes combined)

kraiosis

Nov 17, 2003
www.macorisnetwork.com
free email accounts and spamming

Guys remember that if you have a free email account you can recieve spamming. Thats why there are so many companies offering free email. when you sign up ypu have to read the conditions and term of use for the service. But, there are a lot of people who pay for private email, like me, to avoid the spamming . even this you keep getting spamming.

Codetel do not allow spamming on thier email accounts. they do not sell the database. They use it for their own porpose. but if you have suscribe to some mailling list you will get emaiuls from the site you made the suscription. however, there are a lot of companies here that do search crawlers to get emails from the internet. Example: do "codetel.net.do" at google and you will see what im talking about.

until now i have to companies that are doing ilegal spamming here. "IM NOT ACCUSING THESE COMPANIES FOR SPAMMING". But im getting non-solicited emails from id.com.do and mailc@codetel.net.do (this one i made the design of the website for rubycom) i thing its belong to rubycom.com and when i made this website they were doing spamming but now its diferent. :S i hope codetel know about using their codetel.net.do domain to send spamming.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't see how you can be so sure that Codetel doesn't permit spamming. I have almost never used that address, and never in the DR. Never. Nor does it appear on any mailing lists. I get no mail at that address except spam from Dominican Republic sources.

kraiosis

Nov 17, 2003
www.macorisnetwork.com
Answer

Ken said:
I don't see how you can be so sure that Codetel doesn't permit spamming. I have almost never used that address, and never in the DR. Never. Nor does it appear on any mailing lists. I get no mail at that address except spam from Dominican Republic sources.

As i said. Codetel policy do not allow spamming to their clients. for example if you have a codetel.net.do account you should have a phone line service or any other pay-for-service. This means you will not get spamming form them. But, as i mentioned there are companies thats do scann over internet for "codetel.net.do" try doing a search at google.com : make a search for "codetel.net.do" and you will get surpised about what you will got. This is what all these companie do . Imaging 2 guys making this search and copying all emails they get or use a crawler like GoAgent, Email-Tracker, Visicom or any other and you will see. If Codetel are making spamming im not sure at all, it can be posible, but if you can read their policy and term of use you will see they do no promote spamming.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
All I can say is that you have more confidence in Codetel and the integrity of every employee than I do.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As you suggested, I did a google search for codetel.net.do What I got was a notice saying no information was available for that url. Is that what I was supposed to be surprised about?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I am pretty sure it is not Codetel per se...

But I am also pretty positive that employees at Codetel are selling their email list. I am not a newbie in the net, I am supposed to get more spam in the email address that is listed in my website and that is all over the net... but no, Codetel wins hands down, and it's all local spam.

[Monty Python] Have you got anything without spam? [/MP]

;)

Darn, I love MP

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I share your belief re the employees, Pib.

Tom, one thing you can now do with your spam is forward it to the US government -- uce@ftc.gov Federal regulators are creating a huge spam database to go after the worst of the marketers.

I don't expect to see such a law in the DR in my life time, however.

gilbert

Nov 19, 2003
I receive well over 100 spam emails a day. It really sucks when your cleaning the office or something and you hear your mail sound go off and you find out its just spam. However when I am on my computer it's not really a problem as it's fun to hit the delete button and see what products or services other internet companies are trying to make money off of. You would need a good email client such as outlook though in order to have any tollerance. Hotmail would be a pain in the outhole :alien:

gilbert

Nov 19, 2003
I still get spam to my domain address emails. I don't even know how the hell they find out the email address