Help need advice

freeman

Dec 9, 2003
I have decided to quit my boring office job and take a break from the same old routine and go traveling for a year. My spoken Spanish is quite good so I've decided to go south of the border. One place I would I like to live for a while is Santo Domingo, how long will depend on living expenses. While I'm there I would also want to attend a university course to improve my Spanish.

I have read a lot of the threads and I must say on the most part they have convinced me that life in DR would be a great adventure and a life changing experience. Can anyone please help me try and avoid some of the pit falls foreigners face when moving to a new country and culture?

First the MONEY issue.

Most of the threads about this issue were aimed at people wanting to retire and not for singles in there mid 20s who just want to chill for a year. How much does it currently cost to:

?Rent an apartment in a safe part of Santo Domingo with good living space for one. I don?t want all the luxuries just safe, clean and comfortable.

?Does the rent usually cover utility bills or do I need to make allowances for that.

?How much is food. I'm not much of a cook more of a fast food kinda guy. Is eating fast food safe or should I stick to restaurants.

?Is the night life expensive i.e. cost at the door and drinking

?Does anyone know how much a Spanish course costs at the local universities?

Next the PEOPLE, one of the main reasons for considering living in DR are the Dominican reputation of having a hospitable and friendly population. However, when reading some of the threads it seems most of the Dominicans who get involved with foreigners are only interested in money and it would be hard to form genuine relationships, it this true? I really don?t want to live in a country always feeling like a tourist is the DR a place where a foreigner can become part of the culture.

GIRLS and I'm not talking about pros, it has been made clear that there is a large sex tourist industry in DR. Obviously meeting girls is going to be my number one past times there however I don?t want to always go around with a girl who's only interested in the size of my wallet. Are most girls there economists when closing boyfriends or are girls who are just looking for fun as common as the hookers.

SAFETY, the Dominican Republic like most Latino countries are going through hard economic times, is Santo Domingo still a safe place to live.

It would really be helpful if anyone has any answers to these questions especially about money and any other useful advice about living in DR. Thanks in advanced?.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
You want to move to the carribean and live in a dirty city without a beach?

In my opinion any woman who will get involved with you in the DR is a pro or semi pro. It is all about the money. What do you have to offer a woman from a good family with some money?
Things are tough in the DR and will be for the near future so it will only get worse.

Santo Domingo is very expensive to live. Most expensive place to live in the entire country.

Good luck.

Lissy

Nov 12, 2003
Just because a Dominican female is not from a good family ($$$) does not mean she is a prostiute or a semi prostitute. Hey we weren't all born with a gold spoon in our mouths...that doesn't mean we will sell our cat for some doe.....

JHH

Dec 5, 2003
first about the women,I met and marrid a very nice Dominican lady.She can from a very poor family,and I am far from being rich.We just celebrated our 5 th anniversery in nov.My advice is if you are looking for a long term relationship,use your head (to think with).There are good people as well as gold diggers no matter where you go.
I don't know to much about the cost of living ,but my sister-in-law has been telling us how the cost of food has went through the roof so take lots of money with you

freeman

Dec 9, 2003
Thanks for the response guys, Escott if the Dominican Republic is that bad I'm shocked anyone would want to move there. If what you're saying is true I think I will stay a couple of weeks to see the country and then continue my travels. I've been to other Central and South American country's even Cuba and used my Spanish to mix with the locals and they weren't at all like that. If a beach is all the Dominican Republic has to offer it sounds like the country's got a real problem.

The reason I would want to live in the capital is because I imagine thats where the better universities are. I would have about $1800 US to spend each month in any country I choose to stay, is that enough to live and study in DR??

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Where to live...

There is something to be said for being in Santo Domingo, with regards to meeting women, as there are so many people there and it improves your odds. However, most people would prefer to live in a prettier, quieter less polluted place.
It's not difficult to get "one on one" Spanish lessons without going to a University.
Living close to a beach has it's merits. Santo Domingo gets outright hot in the summertime and you'll be wishing there was a beach, if you choose to live there.
The cost of living in Santo Domingo is higher than in most parts.
Utilities may or may not be included in your rent. There is not set rule.
As nice as it is to want to "mix" with the locals, you might find that there are numerous advantages to living in an area with a sizeable ex-pat community, as you will want and need advice on certain matters and might enjoy some "like minded" company.
The DR is considered to be one of, if not the safest country in the Caribbean, however, like anywhere else in the world, big cities have higher crime rates.
As you have an entire year to spare, you will have ample time to investigate the ideal place for you to live, should you decide to come here.
Public transport is fast and inexpensive throughout the country, so it would be easy to see it all with your own eyes in a couple of weeks and make your decisions from there.
Best of luck to you.
Regards, Marco.