Bringing Dog To DR

philly

Feb 14, 2003
Hi does anyone have experience bringing in a dog through santo domingo las americas?

Do I need any paperwork from my vet? or can I slip the guy a couple of dollars (like I usaully do) to get past customs with no problems?

Thanks
philly

JBL

Oct 20, 2002
I am planning to bring my dog to the DR in Jan. (Puerto Plata airport). At this location you need a paper from vet stating the dog has no health problems and that he is up to date on rabies vaccination. Friends who have brought dogs through here with these documents haven't had any hassles. I haven't heard anything about the Santo Domingo airport but I would think they have similar requirements. The airline (American) also tells me they need the same documents as well as a signed letter from the vet stating what tempuratures the dog is acclimated to. Apparently the airline has temperature restrictions and can refuse boarding a dog due to this. For instance, coming from New England they can refuse to put a dog on if the tempurature is below 20. They also have restrictions on kennel size & type. You might want to check with them about this. Hope this helps.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That was good advice

I brought a dog here.

I went to the Vet, got the necessary health check and a document from him that the dog was in good shpe and had his vaccinations up to date ( "Books" jingled like a reindeer with all his tags) .

I went to the Dominican Consulate in NYC and got the Vet's Certificate of Health, certified...paid like $10 for the stamps.

Called the airline, made reservations, told them I was travelling with a dog. When I got to Kennedy, they (AA) provided a travel cage-I paid for it-and checked the dog through.

This was in March, so heat was not a problem. When we arrived, I picked up the dog, showed the Inspector the certificates and on we went. It is not a major problem, you just have to have the paperwork handy.

I certainly would not show up with no paperwork....

HB

MaryS

Feb 13, 2003
Contact Dianne of D & D on the board too. They brought a dog over and commented it cost more than a person.

Mary

philly

Feb 14, 2003
thanks everyone for you comments

I checked with us air and they repeated what JBL posted about vet check and rabbis cert

That sounds like good advice the last thing I want is to have my dog quarantined!!!

philly

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Heatstroke anyone.

I too thought about bringing the family dog down from Toronto...glad I didnt.....probably would have died in the continuous heat.....or .. would never leave the Fan...bought some as pups here...no problem.. now they are 15olbs each.. short haired ... Cant imagine someone bringing a long haired down...no rolling in the snow here...my opinion anyway.. Cheers.M