Would Like Advice Please

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hello Travellers -
I've been reading the posts here for the last few months and have decided to move to the DR for a few years at least. I've lived in Haiti, Grenada, and Puerto Rico so I can pretty well imagine what all awaits me. I'll have a stipend and am writing a book (about $3k a month) - and I can teach English and/or French (my Spanish is only passable) and sing and play guitar (not that the Dominicans can't teach me - but maybe I could teach them as well!!) - would like to be among European tourists and Dominicans with some American expats - does Las Terranas sound like the place for me? I am 57 but not really of a retirement mind set - love to sail and snorkel. I probably won't get all my stuff up here sold and sorted out for months and months so I'd love to have you all hollering advice at me in the mean time. I am tempted by Bayahibe but suspect that it might be too urban and crowded. Is Altos de Chavon just a Disney set or a genuine artists colony - what I saw from the prices appeared that only VERY sucessful artists are there but it looks glorious. I won't have much money to travel so I had better root quickly. Bring on the advice. Thanks a lot - Annie

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Visit, then Move

You didn't say if you have even been to the DR or seen any of the areas you mention. Travel there for a month, learn Spanish quick and keep learning while you are there and then decide.

Norma Culligan

Dec 12, 2003
Dear Mountain Annie,
I love your name. We are at present living in Gibraltar (on southern coast of Spain), but are Irish and hoping to move to Dom Rep to try out for 3 months from June. We did go in Apr for 2 weeks to 'spy out the land', but unfortunately I went on one of those Jeep Safari trips and yanked my neck. They are great if you like 'rodeo'. This was about an 8 hour trip and we thought it would be a good way to view the area. So by the time we left I never wanted to see the place again. But I have changed my mind and will go armed with medication next time. We stayed in El Portillos resort (my husband's niece and husband manage it) which is next to Las Terranas. It is a very small 'usual type' South American' village,very highly populated. You would need to be careful if you are a woman on your own. I feel there are 2 extremes in Dom Rep, very low prices and very high. We were hoping for a middle of the road. I too would appreciate any advice on living there. We lived in Ecuador for 1 year and loved it. As has already been mentioned to you, learn Spanish. A good book to help you on your own is Madrigal's Magic key to Spanish, by Margarita Madrigal. We hope to go to Puerto Plata next time and rent just outside the city. Any advice greatly appreciated. Teaching English sounds good, I have taught in an Academy here in Spain for 2 years.
Greetings to all from a warm sunny Gibraltar.
By the way Blaithin is Irish for'little flower'

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Las Terrenas is certainly a good possibility, Little, if any, snorkling or sailing, however.

On your monthly stipend you should do fine.

Altos de Chavon is entirely different.

Really depends on what sort of an environment will be most stimulating to your writing efforts.

I predict you will find the Dominicans quite different than the people you were in contact with on the other islands. My wife and I have spent time on most of the Caribbean islands and prefer the Domiican peoople. Most friendly and laid back.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Crikey! The odds against this are collossal!

Norma Culligan said:
We are at present living in Gibraltar (on southern coast of Spain)

Greetings to all from a warm sunny Gibraltar.

Greetings to you too!

Chiri (Llanita in Santo Domingo)