Flyfishing around Romana/Bayahibe?

gilgilman

Dec 9, 2003
Are there any flyfishing flats around Romana/Bayahibe?

I am looking to hire a boat and a guide to do some flyfishing in this area - I hear there is good snook fishing in the mangroves haven't heard much about bonefish flats, also looking to do some some snorkling or if it is too windy I'll bring my kiteboard. Can anyone reccomend some spots if I can't find a guide. Many Thanks

- JG

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Flyfishing LaRomana

Forget the bonefish out that way....you aren't going to find them. Snook is another matter. If you speak spanish you can hook up with some of the locals to take you out to fish the Chavon. Nice snook there. Poppers work great on the edges if you are going to flyfish. What you will likely hate, however, is some of the tour boats and "skiers" that rip up and down the river (depending on the day). So get out way early in the morning or for a couple hours at dusk and you should have some action.

FYI....a 56# snook (yes...56#) was caught on a handline in this river in 1995 by one of the locals...so some big ones are in there.

Tight Lines!

Dave

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
Tons of flats out of Bayahibe east towards the Parque Nacional del Este and just North of Isla Saona...I know it is excellent in that area, but very few people know about it..I know this area is visited by many flats fisherman from Puerto Rico that "discovered"this pristine area years ago, but there is very little in the way of organized fishing tours to the area. I would suggest to go to the villiage of Bayahibe and ask the local fisherman if any of them would take you out that way..could become a great adventure! Good Luck.

Thefly

Apr 29, 2004
Flyfishing information

Hi all, i'm writing from Italy and within few days - May 10 - ?ll come to BayaHibe (Playa Dominicus). I'm a fly fisherman, i've read all previous posts finding them very helpful. Now here i am kindly asking your suggestions e.g. where do i have to go fishing near there, which flies, lines ....tackle, whether do i have to pay something before, duty, licence...all information would be very appreciated. Final...last but not the least....? heared about the "Parque Nacional del Este", is it flyfishing allowd there?

Thanks in advance for your kind answers.

Stefano de Martini
Genoa - Italy
...just married :knockedou