Do foreign insurance companies operate in the DR?

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
Does anyone know if there are US or Canadian insurance companies who serve the DR with property loss protection policies (such as fire, earthquake, etc, etc)? I have had several bad experiences so far with some of the big local companies and would like to have insurance that I could in fact count on shuld the need arise.

Gregory

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Iffin' I wuz you

I would certainly consult with Franco Acra. They are perhaps the largest insurance brokers in the country.

They will give you the straight scoop. Ask to speak with Nelson Franco.

HB

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I use "Confederacion del Canada Dominicana S.A." Don't know if it's Canadian owned though. All my vehicles, Condos and Bar. So far so good. Only had one claim so far (Broken windshield) and they paid.

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Health insurance?

Interesting subject.
Has anyone ever heard of US-health insurance that can be joined even by non-us-citizens, residing in the DR?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Sure Gerd, there are foreign companies offering health policies- BUT WHO WANTS THEM?

I get local health insurance for about US $600 a year. They pay about 40% of a hospitalization, (in the DR, good hospitals run about US$50 to $100 a day for EVERYTHING) but I pay only RD$20 per visit to my normal Dr. for an office call.

I also have an international catastrophic plan with a big deductible in case I need a kidney or a new heart, installed in Miami or New York. The cost is peanuts.

Last time I checked with Aetna in the US, those bastards wanted about $600 a MONTH , but they would pay 80% on a normal claim. (BTW, the SAME EXACT policy, but purchased in the US, was about $900 a month)

No thanks. I will take my chances on the D.R. insuror going balls up, and I will also avoid making the US insurance company pay the damn malpractice lawyers on top of it.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Greg is a great guy and owns the Coastal Gas Station in Sosua which also has quite a nice supermarket inside as opposed to the usual convienience store inside.

He is also a wealth of info regarding the DR and Sosua/Cabarete particularly. I always go there to shop and buy gas for my car along with ask for advice on occassion..

Check out his place of business. You will truly be surprised once you take a look inside! Stopped for gas once and wondered inside and spent an hour checking the place out.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question about Casualty Insurance but anxious to here the answer myself. I got burned on the Segma myself with the Car although it wasn't a big burn since the policy was about to run out..

Regards,
Scott

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I'm younger than most of you, so I need less coverage. I just have the high deductible plan ($5k) from that company I mentioned above. If something smaller happens, I'll just pay for it at a local clinic.

If you need to go to the doctor a lot here, maybe a local plan would be worthwhile. But I can't imagine it would be that expensive here to pay for it yourself.

Coastal

Jul 14, 2003
Thanks to everyone for your responses!

My problem is with the insurance carrier (one of the largest)that handles my business. I have a ton of insurance, but having just made a very small claim, they are giving me the classic run around about paying. Makes me wonder what would happen with a large claim. Anyway, I am taking both Eddy's and Hillbilly's advice and checking with Bob White's company and Franco Acra's group in Santiago. Since this is somewhat specific, I will not bore everyone with any follow-up but if anyone would like to know, simply PM me and I will give you the gritty details. Thanks again!

P.S. Thanks Scott for your comments! Stop by when you are in town and I will tell you what is going on with this as you are interested (re your pm).

Gregory

orlando2p

Nov 7, 2005
busco informacion

El padre de mi abuela le dejo una poliza de seguro de vida con la confederacion del canada dominicana s.a y ella nunca la ha reclamado el se llamaba DAVID SANTAMARIA y mi abuela se llama ALTAGRACIA ANTONIA SANTAMARIA JOAQUIN si algun representante de esta compania tiene informacion util me pueden contactar a mi e mail mangu2p@yahoo.com

orlando2p

Nov 7, 2005
informacion

El papa de mi abuela le dejo una poliza de seguro de vida con CONFEDERACION DEL CANADA DOMINICANA S.A y ella nunca la ha reclamado el se llamaba DAVID SANTAMARIA.y mi abuela se llama ALTAGRACIA ANTONIA SANTAMARIA JOAQUIN si algun representante de esta compania tiene informacion pueden contactarme a mi e mail mangu2p@yahoo.com