Bus travel from Santo Domingo to Santiago

Paco

Dec 13, 2003
I can fly from Miami to Santiago for $415, or to Santo Domingo for $315, & take a bus to Santiago. I think a Caribe Tours bus goes there in about 2 hrs. for around $10. Any advice from those w/ experience travelling in D.R. will be most appreciated. I speak intermediate level Spanish, and have travelled quite a bit in Central America. Thanks in advance, Frank in S. Florida

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If you can take the time , save the $

Since you are going to Santiago, the buses from the capital are very regular , and there are two companies to choose from, Metro and Caribe.

You will not save quite as much money since the flights to Santo Domingo airport are a $20-$25 +/- cab ride to downtown Santo Domingo to get to either Metro or Caribe's terminal. There aren't buses from the airport so you are stuck with a taxi. Haggle.

The ride is pleasant , air conditioned and like a Greyhound ( e.g. not like a gua-gua) and as Santiago is a "hub" for other destinations in the North, there are a lot of buses that go there. In fact I guess you could say they all go there first if that isn't the final destination.

I am not sure for the smallish net savings if I'd bother with going to the wrong city as you will have to pay again for the bus and the taxi in reverse to get back to SDQ to leave. And 8 or 9 lost hours all told, more like 10 with the airport to downtown segments.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Paco,
I think it is more like a 2.5 hour ride from Santo Domingo to Santiago. I have never taken Caribe tour, I have taken a complete roundtrip from Santo Domingo to Santiago using the Metro bus at least two or three times. Very comfortable ride and air conditioned, with blinds on the window. Luggage compartment for carryon type of bag and storage for bags if you have quite a few in the storage compartment built into the side of the bus. Great view of the DR as you venture from the capital into Santiago. I know it cost either 200RD or less for a one way trip using the metro. They have buses leaving hourly I believe to Santiago. Any taxi driver will know where to take you if you say the Metro bus station. It is very small station and the last time I traveled on this itinerary was in Sept 2003. They have bathrooms, small concession stand there, and across the street from the shopping center where they have a Burger King, various restaurants, and stores in the building. Once in Santiago, at the Metro station, you can catch a taxi, eat at the restaurant next to it(I can't remember if it's a McDonald's or Burger King) or even catch a bus to Puerto Plata if you want to catch the beach on the North Coast which would be about a 1.5 hour drive I believe. Sorry I have never used the Caribe tour buses, always the Metro or other small buses/gua gua's.

Am editing because Rick beat me to the punch on the reply and he always has good points. I have a few questions: if you intended to stay on the north coast(Puerto Plata, etc), save your time and fly into Santiago. If residing in Santiago you would only save approximately 50US and lose several hours total time if you flew into Santo Domingo due to Taxi from airport to Metro Station, bus fare, and taxi from Santiago to your residence, and would have to do this twice. But if you have the extra time and want to see more country side and save a little bit of money, be adventurous and take the bus.
dale7

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
ricktoronto is right - be careful of the taxi costs in SD vs Santiago. You may end up saving $50 (after the more expensive taxis in SD), but it will cost you 5 hours of your time.

I live in Santiago and frequently fly to the US. For a $100 difference, I would pay the extra and leave out of Santiago.

If you can get a flight into Puerto Plata that can be worth the savings for Santiago.

Paco

Dec 13, 2003
Thanks for the info, Rick ,Dale, & Adrian

There are 3 of us amigos, attending Fuente cigar convention: 2 days in Puerto Plata, then 2 more in Santiago. We don't want the added expense of flying in to POP, & out of STI, so we planned to go via STI. However, AA departs MIA @ 5:30 PM, arrives 8:30. By the time we taxi to P.P., it will be around 10 PM. (We lose a whole day!) The S.Domingo flight is around 8 AM, & is cheaper,PLUS we would get to sight-see. However, after reading your posts, & talking to some Hispanic cigar-folks here in Fla., I have pretty much accepted that we should just fly-in to Santiago, use a taxi to get between there & P.P. In any event, we are looking forward to an informative, & enjoyable sojourn to the D.R. ( and lots of rare, premium puros!) Thanx again, ya'll. Frank (Paco)

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Paco,
Good plan. Since you have to be in Santiago and Puerto Plata fly into Santiago because you will arrive at a decent hour and with 3 of you splitting costs for a taxi you will have a great time and not spend that much. Since it seems like you will only be there around 4-5 days your time is precious and taking buses would limit that considerably. Taking a taxi from Santiago to POP will only be a little more expensive(since there are 3 of you splitting costs) than taking a bus from Santiago to Puerto Plata and then having to take a take a taxi from Puerto Plata to where you are residing. You will also save time by having a taxi driver because they like to drive fast:)
dale7

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Taxi fare.

I believe the taxi fare from Santiago to Puerto Plata is about US$ 55. Some of the other DR1 posters familiar with the area may have a more accurate figure and quite possibly an amount in Pesos also. .....Note: always when you contract with the taxi driver confirm the price before you get in the taxi, write it down on a piece of paper and show it to him. Regards, PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I might be able to help you

When will you be getting here.?

I could pick you up and make sure you get the best price to POP.

I have a good friend that used to be my driver years ago and he works the airport.

When is the Convention? Maybe I'll call Carlos and find out...might be interesting...

Give me a PM or an email...Be my pleasure

HB