marlbe and granite

JOHNQ

Dec 11, 2003
I own a granite and marble business in Florida. I import most of the stone from Brasil, Italy, and India. My business is not importing but the actual fabrication and installation of kitchen and bathroom counter tops. I was wondering if there is any kind related business in the dominican republic.

thanks in advance
JOHNQ

Miko

May 23, 2003
there is

Yes JohnQ,
Redone my bathroom last summer and needed a granite counter. Number of places in Santiago (and even in Sabaneta) that handles local and imported granite and do installation.

JOHNQ

Dec 11, 2003
If you don't mind, how long did it take for them to measure, fabricate, and install. How much did you pay per square foot.

It usually takes three men 8 hrs to fabricate a 100 square foot kitchen by hand. If any profile machines are used it might take them 4 hrs. installations should take about 6 hrs if no complications arise. Current square foot price is $50.00 for level one stone.

Miko

May 23, 2003
was delay

If I remember right, the cost came to 6,000RD (which is about $187.50 US) at that time's current exchange rate including installation. Counter is about 7 feet long, bullnose, double round sinks. These openings were made on premise (which made a hell alot of dust)The problem was more of delay. They were supposed to bring the counter in five days after placing order, was delayed 2.5 weeks. It's an amarillo colored granite (which I believe is local) and absolutely stunning. Had to call everyday. The manager did say when he came with installer (poor Haitian that was cutting inside a closed bathroom with all the dust, I had to get him a dust mask, his boss just did not care) that there was a mistake in pricing from the girl who I had ordered from in Santiago, the amarillo goes for alot more and that normally shipping and installation are extra. I kept it to the agreed price.:cool:

JOHNQ

Dec 11, 2003
A 7' by 2' top runs for about $500.00 in Florida. Thats an incredible price. When I buy a house in the DR I will use the locals it seams cheaper no sense in importing my own.

Sep 20, 2003
Dominican marble

Has anyone had a marble floor installed recently?

What is the cost (sqft) of Dominican marble?

Are there any companies that will produce custom made marble columns?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Has anyone had a marble floor installed recently?

What is the cost (sqft) of Dominican marble?

Are there any companies that will produce custom made marble columns?
Wouldn't granite be better for a floor than marble? I understand marble can stain because it porous.

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Marble vs Granite

Wouldn't granite be better for a floor than marble? I understand marble can stain because it porous.

My husband and I have a tile, marble, granite, glass mosaic installation business for 20 years. Granite is the superior product of course. Marble is acceptable for floors ,too. The caveat with marble is how it is finished and how it is sealed. Both procedures can and will pevent staining IF done properly. JohnQ can give you the tech details on that process. Both products must be cleaned carefully to prevent damage to the surface. I.E NO Cloro or other harsh chemicals

Hope this helps.

BTW..the 1376 sq. ft of wall tile and 30 glass block? What a major deal! We would have charged a minimum of $12K - US.:cheeky:

Last edited:

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
labor

Note that the $700 he mentioned was "in labor". most likely meaning not including materials. And his post was from 2003.