Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where is the best place to live in DR???

I want to know where is the best place to live in the Dominican Republic and WHY???

Obviously this is a matter of opinion, but a general answer would be interesting to a person deciding where to stay in the DR.

Also how does expense differ from place to place, for example Santo Domingo is the most expensive place to live in DR but by how much (%) when compared to a cheaper part of the country.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the best place is greatly dependent on what the person trying to decide is looking for. Each area has its pluses and minuses. What are your priorities?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty common for newcomers to a country to congregate in certain areas initially. Learn the ropes / language, then decide the best place. That being the case, North Coast seems a good starting point.

Just $.02
    Mike

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mike. Jump in and check it out.

I chose Sosua on the North Coast. If I was under 30 I would have choosen Cabarete.

Scott

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Scotty's not under 30!!!???

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Freeman?
    Going give us an Idea of what you want?

For what it is worth I wouldn't live anywhere Near the North Coast.
    Santo Domingo is the place or maybe a Villa in Casa de Campo. Although if that Cap Cana project come to a complete fruition it is tempting!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

For me,

Santo Dominigo
    Jarabacoa

oops I forgot,

The reason,

Santo Domingo, I like the city, the congestion, the noise, limited tourist, horns honking, great place if your single, and just being around plain o'l city folks.

Jarabacoa, I like the climate and country setting.

Jarabacoa would be my number 1 place though.
    Last edited by sancochojoe; 12-16-2003 at 12:43 PM.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are my top 3places to live in the DR:

1. Santo Domingo: it's the perfect city in the caribbean basin. Everything you want is on sale somewhere in the city. Every type of people are constantly "on display" on it's vibrant streets. It's a surprisingly pleasant city (much of it doesn't even resembles third world at all), it has a sizable moneyed class which add that sense of "keeping up with the jones" lifestyle if that's what you want. Keep in mind that "keeping up with the jones" lifestyle is slightly more melow in SD than in say NY or London. And of course, the city is CENTRALLY LOCATED. The most extreme points in the country (the boarder, the north coast, and Punta Cana) are all about the same distance from town.

2. Santiago: it's a smaller version of Santo Domingo. It's smaller for now, the town is blooming into a metropolis at an alarming rate. Hopefully, it will continue to be a pleasant mini-santo domingo. It's only about a 1.50 to 2 hour ride along the smooth Autopista Duarte from Santo Domingo. It's in the middle of one of the most beautiful valleys on earth, the Cibao. The people are slightly more refined than those of the Capital. And the mountains are a stone throw away, very convenient on those occasional hot july and august days, when the mountains are in there 70s during the day and a cool 50 during the night.

3. On a ranch out in the provinces of El Seibo or Hato Mayor. Beautiful quiet countryside, life goes at a slower pace than most places in the DR (most places are slow to begin with), your not bothered by dominican capitalism as much as you would in Santiago or Santo Domingo, especially Santo Domingo. The potential to create a ranch with horses and other animals and agricultural stuff and then market the place as a tourist attraction are great in this region. This place is good for people looking to really get away from it all and simply relax under swaying palms and drinking Presidente or Brugal while you watch the cows graze on the super green lawns. I personally would like to have a getaway home here for those weekends when SD gets on your nerves.

Personally, I would like to own a luxury apartment in a highrise in Santo Domingo as my main residence, then own an alpine style country home in the Constanza valley for a weekend getaway into the mountains, a wild west style home in the Enriquillo Basin overlooking Enriquillo Lake and sorrounded by cactuses and very very hot air for those days when the Desert gives me "a call", a beach front palapa style villa in Cap Cana for those days when life is a beach, and a oversize typical dominican countryhome (the ones that are square and made of wood) but with balconies, two floors, elaborate mohagony lattice work, etc. A real caribbean jewel out on a ranch in the El Seibo or Hato Mayor country side. Thats for those days when the childhood dream of becoming a cowboy comes back for a weekend at least. Yeup people, I have some humungus dreams. But then again, I am still young and the more I see my self in my dreams, the greater the chance I will work wiser to attain them.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Nal0whs
    Here are my top 3places to live in the DR:

1. Santo Domingo: it's the perfect city in the caribbean basin. Everything you want is on sale somewhere in the city. Every type of people are constantly "on display" on it's vibrant streets. It's a surprisingly pleasant city (much of it doesn't even resembles third world at all), it has a sizable moneyed class which add that sense of "keeping up with the jones" lifestyle if that's what you want. Keep in mind that "keeping up with the jones" lifestyle is slightly more melow in SD than in say NY or London. And of course, the city is CENTRALLY LOCATED. The most extreme points in the country (the boarder, the north coast, and Punta Cana) are all about the same distance from town.

2. Santiago: it's a smaller version of Santo Domingo. It's smaller for now, the town is blooming into a metropolis at an alarming rate. Hopefully, it will continue to be a pleasant mini-santo domingo. It's only about a 1.50 to 2 hour ride along the smooth Autopista Duarte from Santo Domingo. It's in the middle of one of the most beautiful valleys on earth, the Cibao. The people are slightly more refined than those of the Capital. And the mountains are a stone throw away, very convenient on those occasional hot july and august days, when the mountains are in there 70s during the day and a cool 50 during the night.

3. On a ranch out in the provinces of El Seibo or Hato Mayor. Beautiful quiet countryside, life goes at a slower pace than most places in the DR (most places are slow to begin with), your not bothered by dominican capitalism as much as you would in Santiago or Santo Domingo, especially Santo Domingo. The potential to create a ranch with horses and other animals and agricultural stuff and then market the place as a tourist attraction are great in this region. This place is good for people looking to really get away from it all and simply relax under swaying palms and drinking Presidente or Brugal while you watch the cows graze on the super green lawns. I personally would like to have a getaway home here for those weekends when SD gets on your nerves.

Personally, I would like to own a luxury apartment in a highrise in Santo Domingo as my main residence, then own an alpine style country home in the Constanza valley for a weekend getaway into the mountains, a wild west style home in the Enriquillo Basin overlooking Enriquillo Lake and sorrounded by cactuses and very very hot air for those days when the Desert gives me "a call", a beach front palapa style villa in Cap Cana for those days when life is a beach, and a oversize typical dominican countryhome (the ones that are square and made of wood) but with balconies, two floors, elaborate mohagony lattice work, etc. A real caribbean jewel out on a ranch in the El Seibo or Hato Mayor country side. Thats for those days when the childhood dream of becoming a cowboy comes back for a weekend at least. Yeup people, I have some humungus dreams. But then again, I am still young and the more I see my self in my dreams, the greater the chance I will work wiser to attain them.

Sound like you would be a great travel agent

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to pull this thread of topic, but being a travel agent is not really something I look forward to. Now, owning a travel agency that will eventually branch into all markets of the world that I can penetrate, now that is what I want. I'm sorry. I am the capitalistic type of person. I like to lead, not follow, unless I'm following on the footsteps of a well worn trail to riches!!! By the way, riches to me doesn't mean money, it only would mean money to me once I find true happiness. That's the only time money has some real value in ones life, when there is some happiness involved. Not that giggly feeling one gets when one buys something, but that feeling good about yourself feeling, just for being alive and well. That's the happiness I'm talking about. But, to stitch this reply back to the topic of this thread, I must say that I am striving to make my dream of living in SD a reality everyday in and out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast