Updated taxi fares Santo Domingo - SDQ airport and back ?

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
I know this question has probably been asked and answered many times, but I thought it merits a revisit now that DR peso is worth only half of its value a year ago.

What would be the ballpark figure in DR$ for a taxi ride from central Santo Domingo (say, Bella Vista) to SDQ airport ? What would be some recommendable taxi companies ?

Also, from the SDQ back to Santo Doming, does one have to suffer the inflated rates quoted by the taxi mafias outside the door or can one arrange for a pre-arranged pick up, even if 3 weeks ahead ?

(I've heard that these unionized taxi drivers often threaten other taxists from pick up customers from the airport).

Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback !

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
My friends pay around RD$400. City - Las Americas.

If you ring the taxi company, they will tell you the rate.

I'm sure with your Spanish you will not have any problems.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Formosano2000 said:

Also, from the SDQ back to Santo Doming, does one have to suffer the inflated rates quoted by the taxi mafias outside the door or can one arrange for a pre-arranged pick up, even if 3 weeks ahead ?

I have my driver from Boca Chica come to departure level down where the AA 1st class check in/ security entrance is.

Whoever is guarding the road up top there don't seem to care. So no taxi mafia at all and the escalator right as you come out takes you right up there.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Where??

papillon said:
From Juan Dolio in Santo Domingo to SDQ I paid 500 pesos including tip.

Juan Dolio is 30 Km east of the airport and Santo Domingo is about the same west of the airport, so how exactly did you get to Juan Dolio IN Santo Domingo?

papillon

Nov 4, 2003
Re: Where??

ricktoronto said:
Juan Dolio is 30 Km east of the airport and Santo Domingo is about the same west of the airport, so how exactly did you get to Juan Dolio IN Santo Domingo?

oops, my brain said Arroyo Hondo but my figers typed Juan Dolio. Early stages of Alzheimer! From Arroyo Hondo to SDQ 500 pesos.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The taxi union has a two-tiered rate structure now. Rates that are dollar-pegged for tourists and rates that are peso based for Dominicans headed to a residential address. For instance, we took a taxi from SDQ to an address near La Sirena at Winston Churchill and it cost us RD$500. A taxi without air-conditioning from the same address to the airport will be RD$400. I believe the rate is US$25 though for tourists arriving to SDQ and headed for the city. This is the same rate as last year. Tourists are not being given the benefit of the depreciation. For Dominicans, the transfer rate has gone up from RD$300 to RD$500.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
The cheapest I have gotten a taxi at SDQ recently was 350 pesos but that was to the near side of the bridge.

I have a buddy with a taxi that will pick up my novia, drive her to the airport, wait with her for me to get my luggage etc. Then he drives to his house, I take the keys and pay 700 pesos to rent his car.
Not a bad deal.