For Dominican Voters in DC/VA/MD Metro Area

Those who are interested

Via the organization GDP-WASH (Group of Dominican Professionals in Washington DC)
http://www.gdp-wash.org

PRIMERA JORNADA DOMINICANA DE EMPADRONAMIENTO ELECTORAL DEL ?REA METROPOLITANA DE WASHINGTON

Fecha: S?bado 13 y S?bado 20 de Diciembre de 2003

Hora: de 12:00pm a 5:00pm

Lugar: Julito's Discotheque

1401 East University Blvd. Hyattsville, MD 20783

(Langley Park, en el Mall La Uni?n)

a) Requisitos para el Registro o Empadronamiento en el Exterior establecidos por la Junta Central Electoral:

1) Tener c?dula de identidad y electoral vigente (c?dula amarilla).

2) Llenar el formulario requerido (que ser? entregado el mismo d?a).

El proceso de registro o empadronamiento se llevar? a cabo en ambas fechas: el S?bado 13 y el S?bado 20 de Diciembre.

b) ?C?mo obtener la c?dula amarilla si s?lo se tiene la antigua c?dula azul o la constancia de solicitud de registro de Rep. Dominicana (el recibo)?

El ciudadano debe presentarse en el centro de empadronamiento con su C?dula Azul ? con la Constancia de Solicitud de Registro de Rep. Dominicana. En ambos casos, deber? traer dos fotos 2 x 2 con las siguientes caracter?sticas: de frente, fondo azul o blanco, sin aretes, ni cadenas; cuello y manga.

El proceso de renovaci?n s?lo podr? llevarse a cabo el S?bado 13 de Diciembre de 2003.

c) ?Se pueden usar otros documentos para realizar el empadronamiento?

No. El uso de otros documentos (pasaporte, c?dula de identidad de librito), no es permitido para el empadronamiento en el exterior. En ese caso el ciudadano tendr? que dirigirse a las oficinas de la Junta Central Electoral en la Rep?blica Dominicana y solicitar personalmente la actualizaci?n de sus documentos.

La fecha l?mite para el Empadronamiento o Registro de los dominicanos que residen en el exterior es el 16 de Enero de 2004. Para m?s informaci?n, favor contactar a la Oficina para el Registro de Electores en el Exterior de New Jersey al tel?fono 973-279-3633

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Thanks for posting that, Joe. I'm embarassed to say that I had that information last week and intended to post it, but forgot. My wife was among the GDP volunteers who assisted the JCE in the process last Saturday (and it was my computer printer lent to them for the day that kept them from having to shut the process down! :confused: ). She says that they had an amazingly large turnout. Any Dominicans in the DC-MD-VA area not yet registered, this coming Saturday is your last chance!
Regards,
Keith

Thanks for the follow-up. After my wife passed the news, she had several phone calls from Dominicans asking for more info.

I was a bit surprised it was posted in the newspaper. Many of the Salvadorian centered newspapers in DC are not known to post much about Dominican issues except when it comes to sports.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Thanks for posting I had seen in it DR news and couldn't find any additional info about it, I suppose we'll try to make it this Saturday. We would have gone last week but were not sure where and what to bring.

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
Could it be.

sancochojoe said:
Thanks for the follow-up. After my wife passed the news, she had several phone calls from Dominicans asking for more info.

I was a bit surprised it was posted in the newspaper. Many of the Salvadorian centered newspapers in DC are not known to post much about Dominican issues except when it comes to sports.

You know,my dad happens to live in the d.c metro area and from some of the research that I've done,I assertain that there are very few dominicans in that region.Not to say that they don't exist there,just not in numbers substancial enough to constitute-dominican neighborhoods or communities.

I've been told that most of the hispanic population in the d.c. area-to begin with is primarily made up of recent centeral american migrants from el salvador,nicaragua and honduras.

What's your take?

Carl

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Re: Could it be.

carl ericson70 said:
You know,my dad happens to live in the d.c metro area and from some of the research that I've done,I assertain that there are very few dominicans in that region.Not to say that they don't exist there,just not in numbers substancial enough to constitute-dominican neighborhoods or communities.

I've been told that most of the hispanic population in the d.c. area-to begin with is primarily made up of recent centeral american migrants from el salvador,nicaragua and honduras.

What's your take?

Carl
Carl, not quite. That was more true 16 yrs ago when I first moved back to DC area from NYC. But now there are many Dominicans in the area. The difference from other Latin communities here is that they just haven't (yet) congregated to create a single, identifiable neighborhood. As for the local mix, a good many of the Salvadorean & Nicaraguan immigrants here are far from recent arrivals -- many came in the waves in the early to mid-1980s. (I know -- my comadre is one of them.) Even then, there were almost as many Andean immigrants -- primarily Peruvian, but also many Bolivian and some Ecuadorian -- as there were Central American. Official census figures tend to bear this personal observation out. For some reason, few Chileans, Argentines, Venezuelans and Brazilians, and I have yet to meet a Uruguayan or Paraguayan here. In 1960s-70s there was a small but very coherent Cuban community, but they seem to have all left for warmer climes. ;)

These days, most of the recent latin immigrants are from Mexico, especially in places like Manassas, Va.

Best Regards,
Keith

DC is primarily a Salvedorian community due to the War they had in the 80's and I beleive the United States open the door for them into the DC metro area, this is the info I gathered when I lived in a large Salvadorian community.

Dominicans influx into DC area is due to Word of Mouth. Many want to get away from NY. They are finding that work and cost of living is much better and if they move further south from DC they are getting a since of a more "country or rural" type of living.

Thats my take coming from my Dominincan friends, my wife and other latinos who left NY.

I have one dominican friend who has an Aspestis removal company and he convinced a lot of Dominicans to move down to work for him. So he has about 30+ Dominicans working for him in the Mannassas/Fredericksburg area and of course they are getting their family and friends to come down from NY as well.

But almost everday I run into a dominican in this area, one is an undercover cop for the DC police force, a few are stationed here in the military, a couple I ran into working at home depot, wal-mart. So it is growing.

ElPulpo

Nov 1, 2003
New to DC,MD & VA

Hi, I just wanted to say hi to all my people in here. I originally from Boston use to live en santiago DR for 8 years and missing it. But I been living in Northern VA for over a year and still havent meet no dominican people mostly centro american. I tought I was alone here lol
its good to know theres more here.
Can you recommend a good merengue, bachata club here? Thanks