The tax man is coming after you

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Be prepared for the onslaught being brought upon the Dominican taxpayers after the holidays. I understand that Hippo is in so bad a need of cash that he has ordered his lambon Cesar Sanchez at the CDE to increase electric bills even higher than recently mentioned in the press. How much??? Listen to this, a typical bill of $8000 could go as high as $50,000 a month!!!!!! I am not joking.

What is even worse is that most businesses will have a minimum of $100,000 regardless of usage. That is on top of the idea that the ITBIS will probably be increased to 16%.

How will businesses survive this boggles my imagination. But let me give you an idea. The mighty Santo Domingo Motors has now cut the Pontiac line. If you want a Pontiac you have to bring it yourself. Sooner than later we are going to turn into another boring European city filled with European and Japanese cars. So long American cars. I may move back to Miami after all where American cars are still visible.

If I were Bush I would tell Hippo "you give my cars a fair chance, or else". American cars pay higher taxes than equally priced Euros and those mickey mouse Japanese sardine cans.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Golo100 said:

What is even worse is that most businesses will have a minimum of $100,000 regardless of usage. That is on top of the idea that the ITBIS will probably be increased to 16%.

What I have heard is that the ITBIS will stay at 12% but he'll tax everything that still doesnt pay itbis. items such as chicken, beans, rice, platanos and all other comestibles de primera necesidad.

Pontiacs are definately not comming, but then again they are pretty ugly cars!!Besides, you cant complain about american cars with high end Cadillac Escalades, Chevy Tahoes and Avalanches running around!!

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Pontiac

It seems to me that Pontiac availability will be the least of our worries. I also think it's more likely the DR will come to resemble Caracas, Bangkok, or 1980s Brazil than it will resemble any European city. The electric rate increase and hyper tax policies threaten to drive inflation up another 20 to 30 points!

Add to this the increasing reports of Hipolito's intention to divert IMF funds to electioneering. It's getting hot in herrrrrrree.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Didn't Santo Domingo Motors cut 300 staff as well?

I'm sure they must be hurting right now along with many other car importers.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
arturo

If Hippo gets IMF dollars, they will be closely watched for spending. He will also have to endure someone looking over his shoulder for other expenditures to prevent the flow of IMF money into 'real expenditure"(i.e. salaries for personel) while other government money will disappear into re-election.

It is my guess that he will use the money from the fixed rate scheme to have himself re-elected.

MD

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Re: arturo

MerengueDutchie said:
If Hippo gets IMF dollars, they will be closely watched for spending. He will also have to endure someone looking over his shoulder for other expenditures to prevent the flow of IMF money into 'real expenditure"(i.e. salaries for personel) while other government money will disappear into re-election.

It is my guess that he will use the money from the fixed rate scheme to have himself re-elected.

MD

Is it just me being na?ve, or isn't there a limit to what money can buy, even in the DR?