Why Batteries and Lighters are Confiscated!!??

kokakahlua

Dec 29, 2002
We have been to the DR several times and finally a tour guide explained to us why the staff at the airports take batteries and lighters.

First of all, THEY CAN ... IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SECURITY!

Apparently, a lot of Dominican families own things such as TV's and Radio's, but they all RUN ON BATTERIES!

And, batteries are very expensive to buy, soooooo, they try and get as many as they can from us tourists!

I'm not sure why they take the lighters?! Maybe it's a partial effort on security??

Anyways, for my next gift to the maid, I'm bringing extra batteries.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
you got to be kidding? this is the first time i hear those problems it has never ever happened to me. batteries? lighters are dangerous aboard an airplane.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Batteries are among the most useful, cost effective items that can be given to Dominicans.

They can be bought cheaply at places like Sam's Club, even cheaper over the internet.

Dominicans are hit with a triple whammy on batteries. They need them desperately because of the scarcity of electricity, but batteries are expensive in the DR, and it's difficult or impossible for them to order over the internet.

BTW, nothing less than alkaline ones are worth the trouble.

Seany

Oct 19, 2003
www.angelfire.com
I'm off to the Dr in Jan. I'll be taking camera equipment with both NiMH AA's and dedicated Fuji re-chargables. Is it likely they'll try and take them off me, or do they just want standard types? What if they try, and I refuse?