dominicans finest ????

mereco

Jun 5, 2003
who would you consider the best dominican and why
1)comedian
2)singer
3)athlete
4)writer
and which Dominican or act a Dominican has comitted made you the proudest?

leo_DR

Dec 8, 2003
www.geocities.com
I nominate myself as the finest writer. ;)

Okay...I may not be internationally known, but within my academic circle I am- that has to count for something...

All joking aside,

I'll have to get back to you on this, I need to ponder it more...as far as athlete and singer are concerned.

Leo

Comedian -

El difunto - Julio Cesar Matias alias "Pololo"
Cuquin Victoria
Freddy Veras Goico
Boruga
Cecilia Garcia
Cachita

Sports -

Sammy
Pedro
Los Alous
Manny
ARod

Singer

Joseito Mateo
Juan Luis Guerra
La Soberana Del Merengue
El Caballo Mayor
El Mayimbe
El Majimbe de la Bachata
El Papa de la Bachata
El Cieguito De Nagua
El Torito

Writer

Dr. Balaguer
Professor Jaun Bosh
Pedro Milr

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
mereco said:
1)comedian
2)singer
3)athlete
4)writer
and which Dominican or act a Dominican has comitted made you the proudest?
1. Freddy Beras Goico, because all the others suck.
2. Camboy Estevez, because something about "Mi Calle Triste" gives me goosebumps whenever I listen to it.
3. Juan Marichal. Think Hall of Fame.
4. This one's hard. So many. Tie between Juan Bosch and Junot Diaz, because I love their style.

And lastly, the Dominicans and Dominican act I'm mostly proud of are my Dominican parents, for having had ME in the Dominican Republic. They outdid themselves.

-Indie

mereco

Jun 5, 2003
comedian:
i use to enjoy cuquin victorias show when he left channel 9 ,but it seems he was funnier when he was around freedy beras goico
pololo was funny with roberto salcedo with his skit's of "felipito el resbaloso"i DIDNT like celia garcia ,nor cachita !

(offtopic)i have to say though that tele-relajo was very funny it resembled "in living color"

sports would have to be :
1)juan marichal
2)sammy sosa
3)tony "cabeza"fernandez
maybe you will be surprised why i picked tony fernandez ,and i will explain ,i lived a block away from el estadio quisqueya when i was 10 years old ,i had season tickets and every nite this guy would amaze me with some type of play ,not only was he a class act on the field but off the field ,he may not of had the biggest impact in mlb. but he was the reason why i started to play shortstop in las liga mercedes !
i dont consider a-rod dominican (thats a whole post by itself)
and manny ramirez is a great baseball player but has yet to grasp that he needs to be great off the field as well to enter the superstar status he deserves.

cantante:
being that my mom is from loma de cabrera
1)Fernando Villalona
2)el torito
3)anthony santos
4)frank reyes
5)tatico henriquez
there are more that i like but ill stop here !

writers
1)juan bosch
2)balaguer

painters
1)guillo perez
2)candido bido

i have so many good experiences with different people in santo domingo that it would be hard to pin point one person .i have to say that from living in various countries that i would never give my country up for another one !
just my 2 cents

:cool: :cool:

Come on Mereco, show your love

Both of A-rods parents are Domincan, so I don't know why he would not. When he lived in DR, thats where he was introduced to the sport. He may have been born in NY but his blood is Dominican and he does not deny that and nobody should deny that from him. And he is a 250 million dollar Dominican

You are right, there were threads talking about that.
You and Golo both made the same claim.

Last edited:

mereco

Jun 5, 2003
I got love for him , but he just doesnt show it back
when you got 250 millions i think you can take a trip on the off season and try to help out !!!!
dont get me wrong ,he is the best baseballplayer ,but does he make me proud .....naw ....he better look over to sammy and learn a big lesson !

I guess your response can lead to a new topic.

I really dont know what A-rod has contribute, but sometimes you don't need to be public about it, only reason why I say that, is that I like contributing anonymously, and others need a Press Conference.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Mereco

I agree with your list but as far as painting goes, you can't compare Gillo Perez and Candido Bido with Dominican artists such as Yoryi Morel, Celeste Woss y Gil, Prats Ventos or Jose Gausachs(who was Spanish but produced most of his work here and Pablo Picasso considered one of the greatest painters of his time). Even more contemporary ones like Ramon Oviedo and Severino are much better.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
mereco said:
I got love for him , but he just doesnt show it back
when you got 250 millions i think you can take a trip on the off season and try to help out !!!!
dont get me wrong ,he is the best baseballplayer ,but does he make me proud .....naw ....he better look over to sammy and learn a big lesson !

I know for a fact that A-Rod give back to the community both in the US and the DR. he does it for all the right reasons...Unlike Sammy and others who doesn't lift a finger unless the media is around.

1)comedian: My Niece Sarah. She cracks me up. All those twits on TV Like Freddy are pathetic. Even Jerry Lewis would call them silly.

2)singer: Taty Salas because I dated her. Can't sing a lick though.

3)athlete: Adrian Abreau, Porfio Rubirosa(Not the DR1 poster)

4)writer: Pedro Henriquez Urena

and which Dominican or act a Dominican has comitted made you the proudest? Bernardo Vega.

mereco

Jun 5, 2003
you ever heard "para los gustos los colores" well it so happens that i like the style of guillo and candido

damn toby you must be old because taty salas goes way back and as i remember she was uglier than vickiana and olga lara
:lick:

sammy has done things in the us that didnt get publicized
and perhaps the best thing hes done without knowing is in fact acknowledging that hes dominican ,it may sound stupid but someone that has never heard of santo domingo may inquire based on pure curiosity after reading or seeing sammy .
remember these are my opinions and the producer makes no claim to agreeing with me !!!:mad:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
mereco said:
1)comedian
2)singer
3)athlete
4)writer

Best writer = Julia Alvarez ( great books)

Best Athlete = A-ROD (yes he IS Dominican)

Best singer = Tulile ( I find him entertaining)

Best comedian = Miguel the boob

Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
mereco said:
what!!!!!!!!!!!
tulile oh god !!!!!
come on :disappoin :( :cry:

It's an inside joke for a few people on here who know me. I actually think Tulile is an idiot.
Larry

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
mereco said:

damn toby you must be old because taty salas goes way back and as i remember she was uglier than vickiana and olga lara
:lick:
Vickiana Maybe...Olga Lara???? No way. Anyway Taty had a better ass and could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

mereco said:
sammy has done things in the us that didnt get publicized
and perhaps the best thing hes done without knowing is in fact acknowledging that hes dominican ,it may sound stupid but someone that has never heard of santo domingo may inquire based on pure curiosity after reading or seeing sammy .
remember these are my opinions and the producer makes no claim to agreeing with me !!!:mad:

What is he going to do? Deny that he is Dominican? He is too ugly to be Cuban and too smart to be Puerto Rican(Which isn't saying much) so who is he going to fool? Also he is one of those jerks who calls the Dominican Republic "the Dominican".

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Most Wanted Dominican: Guido-Pepe (tie)
Most Overrated: Georgina Duluc
Most Underrated: Yolanda Martinez
Most Gifted musician: Teo Calderon (wasa wasa)
Most Stupid Dominican: % of population that has ever voted PRD
Most Admired Dominican: Ramoncito Baez

frank_J

Mar 13, 2004
Gausachs and Picasso great spanish painters

samiam said:
I agree with your list but as far as painting goes, you can't compare Gillo Perez and Candido Bido with Dominican artists such as Yoryi Morel, Celeste Woss y Gil, Prats Ventos or Jose Gausachs(who was Spanish but produced most of his work here and Pablo Picasso considered one of the greatest painters of his time). Even more contemporary ones like Ramon Oviedo and Severino are much better.

I agree with you samiam, but how do you know that Picasso considered Gausachs the greatest spanish painters of his time, I searched trough the entire data base of the Gausachs web site www.gausachs.net and found plenty of interesting information that do link both artists as friends, they were both students of Nonell at la Llotja and both were at Les Quatre Gats in Paris improving their skills at the time of los Ismos.