Canadian exchange rate?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Anyone know what the Canadian $$ is selling for today? I would like to send some money via Western Union to a friend, and would like know how much she will receive at todays rate.

Thanks!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yris and I sent her mom $150 American through western union and it cost us with the western union fee $228 Canadian. Western Union will either give the money in pesos or US dollars, your choice. As you can sell $US for more on the street than in the bank, maybe it's a better choice to send $us.
Feliz Navidad y Prospero A?o

Bob and Yris Saunders
in the beautiful Comox Valley(no snow here)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Thanks Bob! Great idea, I was thinking of doing just that...
Same to you and Yris, Bob (and no snow here either! From the greatly superior city of Calgary +11 today!)

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Western union is very expensive

If you want to send money more cheaply, use http://ikobo.com. They send an ATM card to the recipient (which costs $20 up front), and then you can send more money with reasonably low fees. A lot lower than western union.

Another option is to send a USD check which they cash/deposit in a local bank.

If you send via western union you're giving away 30%.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Thank you so much for your advice, Adrian, and I do realize that, and hate doing it this way. I send money to my husband's family, but they have the ATM card for my bank. Unfortunately, a friend is in trouble (she's in SD, my husband's family in Sosua, so she couldn't even receive it through them) and I want to help her out as fast as possible.