Any dangerous insects snakes etc to watch out for?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The mosquito nets for the beds is a good idea, but it depends upon the environment of your accomodation. If the bedroom windows are the louvered type and without screening I would consider netting especially if you are near an area of open and still water.

Spiders, some are poisonous: tarantulas are somewhat common, have a mild disposition and black widows though not common are a threat. Avoid dark damp areas, shake out your shoes in the am.

Snakes are non-poisonous.

Ants can be bothersome, some with bites that sting, avoid sitting on stone walls or near trees with crevices.

There are others that can be listed, but most of the activity of insects and other creepies is mostly benign.

Regards, PJT

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You don't mention where you will be and what you will be doing. If at a resort, no need for mosquito netting and you are unlikely to meet up with any other pest that might be of concern. On the other hand, if you plan to do a lot of hiking in the country, then you should not put your hands under rocks or into piles of trash where a tarantula might be hiding.

Daniel W.

Jan 20, 2003
I believe PJT intended to say that

there are no venomous snakes, and certain venomous arachnids, including tarantulas... "Poisonous" is when you eat them, "venomous" is when they they endeavor to eat you! There are also venomous centipedes, jellyfish and sea urchins to contend with.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Depending on your gender,

the only real dangerous creatures in the DR are the infamous "Gigolo-opturous Dominicus" AKA the Dominican Sankie.

IMHO

Gregg

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I hate snakes and spiders but as a diver I have been with congers, sharks mantas and have no fear but respect for the sea. I'm moving to the hills between pop and sosua Ken because of ill health, but I cant get insurance for health over there its free here in UK/ Thanks for all replies I'll wear concrete wellies to go walking!!! Barby
what happens if you get bitten??

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is nothing that is going to ambush you. Chances of seeing a tarantula pretty slim unless you dig into a brush pile or turnover a rock one is under. If bitten by a tarantula, depends on the person. In most cases, not serious after effects. But good idea to check with a doctor ASAP thereafter. He may give you a shot of gamma globulin as a precaution. Or at least that is what the doctor in Samana gave me when I was bitten.

What is trouble with insurance here besides having to pay for it? A number of companies are offering coverage.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Thanks Ken. I read an old message from you about a cardiologist called Dr Angel and his father do they work at any clinic near pop/sosua. I read there is a good clinic in pop do you know of it? Where would I go for the health ins there? Barbara