Xmas Day ... 24th or 25th?!

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Quick question ... do Dominicans celebrate Xmas on the 24th or 25th of Dec. The reason I'm asking is that I've spoken with a few Dominicans who swear Xmas is the 24th?!

Stay well,
Amy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The evening of the 24th is when many Dominican families have a big family dinner.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Just speaking from personal experience - my in-laws - and everybody else as far as I could observe - celebrated Christmas on Dec. 24 last year when I was there, like people (like myself) do in continental European countries.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Christmas Eve is far more important for many Catholics. I know it's a big evening for my family here in Toronto! It's also when the Dominican boyfriend celebrates Christmas too.

Maryanne

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
yes. "buena noche", christmas eve is when the Dominican families get together and celebrate.
However, presents for the children will be given to them by the '3 wise kings' on January 6th, not on xmas eve or day, like in most other countries.

quaqualita

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
IMHO

In Uruguay, where I'm from, and in most of South America since we are mostly Catholics, we celebrate Christmas Eve with a big family dinner and await midnight, which is the beginning of the day Christ was born, to wish him a happy birthday so to speak...

It's also summer in South America this time of year, so we can celebrate with a big "lech?n asado" and all the trimmings, usually cooked outside with the warm weather...

At midnight we make a toast to the families gathered and to Jesus Christ...

Of course, we don't exchange very big gifts...we do that on January 6th, which is El dia de los Reyes Magos, Three Kings Day, who according to the Catholic religion, are the ones that bought Baby Jesus gifts, and therefore is when the little children receive their gifts...

Most of us immigrants have kept that tradition going...except we open the gifts on Christmas morning...and some believe in Santa Claus as the one that brings those gifts...

Here in Miami, the Cuban community has kept the tradition of Three Kings going with a big parade around that date...and some parents still give their kids gifts that day...

Is that a good explanation?

Merry Christmas to all!!

MQ

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Yep, my family being Dominican as well, have always celebrated on Christmas Eve and we actually open our gifts at Midnight. Of course its also my birthday on the 25th, so there's a little more fun as I cut a cake at midnight as well.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Christmas eve = noche buena (not "buena noche")
New Year's eve = noche vieja
6th January = Dia de los Reyes Magos

Whatever you are celebrating, I hope you enjoy it. I also hope 2004 has better things in store. 2003 hasn't been such a treat.

Chiri

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Chirimoya said:

Whatever you are celebrating, I hope you enjoy it. I also hope 2004 has better things in store. 2003 hasn't been such a treat.

Chiri

Chiri,
Thanks for the Christmas Cheer!

2003 was a great year for me and most of the world in general. 2004 looks to be even better!

On my way to SD.

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003
New Year's eve = noche vieja

Would it be more accurate to say noche vieja translates to
Old Night?

Old Year's Night?

Ric.