Canadian "Tiger" call card ??

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Does anyone have info about this long distance call card? It might also be called "Tag".

The advertised rates are super cheap (.08 Cdn/min ?), but the results are disappointing.

What are the conditions? Does one need to use the local Canadian access number instead of the US available toll free number perhaps to get the good rates?

Thanks for any info.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
andy a said:
Does anyone have info about this long distance call card? It might also be called "Tag".

The advertised rates are super cheap (.08 Cdn/min ?), but the results are disappointing.

What are the conditions? Does one need to use the local Canadian access number instead of the US available toll free number perhaps to get the good rates?

Thanks for any info.

If you are not here in Canada then adding the toll free line to the rate makes card like that a burden. Also they tend to have a lot of fees and time limits etc.

Try this link: www.goldline.net and then click on the US flag D-Caller icon. I use the CDN version for good rates, no connect fees, etc. They use caller ID to tell it's a phone you have pre-registered with them plus from away from home they have local # and a PIN system.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Thanks Rick !!

I'll see what I can find out.

Apparently those "toll free" Canadian numbers aren't really.

Of course it's almost hopeless to find a good deal any more Stateside. The best seems to be .12/min over a computer phone.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Re: Thanks Rick !!

andy a said:
I'll see what I can find out.

Apparently those "toll free" Canadian numbers aren't really.

Of course it's almost hopeless to find a good deal any more Stateside. The best seems to be .12/min over a computer phone.

The whole CDN card system is riddled with user fees such as connect, service, etc., that really mean you buy a $5 card use it all at one time.

This DCall service is better than most and with a PIN or using a toll free # at least they tell you straight up the add-on cost but it is useful when I am at the MIA airport and need to call and say I am early or late etc., to the DR is still pretty inexpensive.

And no fees just connect time when you call - each call tells you the balance and how many minutes you will have when you finish dialling.

naskapi

Sep 23, 2003
I have used a few different phone cards to call the DR, and the only one that I have found that actually has no fees is CiCi. For a $20 card, I can call a cell phone in the DR and talk for over 2 hours. The minutes used is actually accurate too. If you are calling a land line, you can get more talk time, but I have only ever called a cell phone. Now, the no connection fee and no charges only applies if you are in Ontario. If you are out of Ontario you will get other charges, but there should be an equivalent card for each province. Hope this helps a little.
Jenn

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Same Company

naskapi said:
I have used a few different phone cards to call the DR, and the only one that I have found that actually has no fees is CiCi. For a $20 card, I can call a cell phone in the DR and talk for over 2 hours. The minutes used is actually accurate too. If you are calling a land line, you can get more talk time, but I have only ever called a cell phone. Now, the no connection fee and no charges only applies if you are in Ontario. If you are out of Ontario you will get other charges, but there should be an equivalent card for each province. Hope this helps a little.
Jenn

CiCi is the card version of the service that IMHO is easier to use (DCall) from the same company ( Goldline) since you don't need PIN's from your own phone (or pones, you can register a few) and the rate is the same. You can refill your account online as well.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Sometimes the Tiger card seems to work as advertised, with actual rates of about .10 Cdn, which is fantastic, at least from the US.

If one only knew what the conditions are, perhaps he could use it properly.