Water filters

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Cheapskates that we are we have decided that we can live without buying "agua en botellones" now that is up to 35 pesos. I have been checking the net for home water filtration systems. They all claim to be the best and to get rid of everything in the water. Sure, we have a strong stomach but why expend in doctors what we saved in water, and that is supposing that the water we get is actually that good.

Does any of you have installed an under-the-sink water filtration system? At what cost (purchase plus replacement parts)? What is the best brand? What should I worry most, pathogens, minerals or chemicals?

Thanks for the help.

Miko

May 23, 2003
Pib, you may want to look into this

I have been using a UV system on the main house line. My water is now completely drinkable out of all taps of the house, not just kitchen. Works great and I have the lab results to show the before and after results from a canadian lab. It completely burns out the bacteria. Check my ad in the classified section on DR1

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
What I need:

Under-the-sink system
Preferably not electric
Kills pathogens
Gets rid of chemicals and metals (lead and chlorine, for example)
Softens water
Low cost per gallon
Easy to maintain and repair
Durable
Not too expensive

Miko

May 23, 2003
forget about it

those undersink cartridges will not kill bacteria. Actually if you do not replace the cartridges on a regular basis, you end up with more bacteria in your water. Another big nono is those charcoal filters. Those undersink models will only remove some form or another of sediments. The only known products that works is either reverse-osmosis or UV. The problem with reverse osmosis is the water quantity, takes a certain amount of time just to produce five gallons. The UV on the other hand will burn 99.99% of all bacteria in the water line on a regular flow rate. We carry residential units that can handle up to 49 gallons per minute

Wales

English Twit!
May 21, 2004
water filters

Miko said:
I have been using a UV system on the main house line. My water is now completely drinkable out of all taps of the house, not just kitchen. Works great and I have the lab results to show the before and after results from a canadian lab. It completely burns out the bacteria. Check my ad in the classified section on DR1
Please e-mail me at librian@eastlink.ca I wish to buy one of your sysyems for my house in dr

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
Pib said:
What I need:

Under-the-sink system
Preferably not electric
Kills pathogens
Gets rid of chemicals and metals (lead and chlorine, for example)
Softens water
Low cost per gallon
Easy to maintain and repair
Durable
Not too expensive

i use the Rainfresh under the counter system. have had it for about 4 years. it has a two filter system. first filter is either sediment only or charcoal. the second filter is ceramic.

i have the water tested regularily and it works well...even when there is contamination in the general house supply. it uses the micron size approach to filter out ecoli etc...

the best part is the cost. i looked around alot and you really have to look at the cost of ownership over the life of the produce. the ceramic filter is cleanable and lasts about 2 years.

these cost about $140 U.S with low filter costs. here is their website:
www.rainfresh.ca

i do not use the charcoal first filter as they really do trap bacteria etc.
most importantly, i clean my system every 3 months or so.

these systems do not soften the water much. hard water will use up the filters faster, of course.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Gregg said:
i use the Rainfresh under the counter system. have had it for about 4 years. it has a two filter system. first filter is either sediment only or charcoal. the second filter is ceramic.

i have the water tested regularily and it works well...even when there is contamination in the general house supply. it uses the micron size approach to filter out ecoli etc...

the best part is the cost. i looked around alot and you really have to look at the cost of ownership over the life of the produce. the ceramic filter is cleanable and lasts about 2 years.

these cost about $140 U.S with low filter costs. here is their website:
www.rainfresh.ca

i do not use the charcoal first filter as they really do trap bacteria etc.
most importantly, i clean my system every 3 months or so.

these systems do not soften the water much. hard water will use up the filters faster, of course.

Can you buy this system in the DR?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Note to PIB

Dear PIB:

You should know that water filtration and water softener systems are two different species.

Both can involve a lot of maintenence: Calgon is one that comes to mind. "Calgon Man!" was one of their ads years ago.

Unless your shower nozzles are filling up with mineral deposits every few months, why bother? You can soap up in SD water pretty good. And there are products for cleaning deposits just by dipping or spraying.

Oh yes, just one more item: "Does any..." Should read: "Do any..."

Your devoted friend,

HB