Codetel card at resort??

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
I will be returning to the DR for my honeymoon in May 2004. We just love it!!! THIS time we wanna get out and see everything and have contacted a local fellow to act as a tourguide for us.. ANYWAY..I have searched the archives and find no answer to this...after being TOTALLY ripped off on phone calls last time..we want to know...1) we plan on goin to the Codetel places..BUT..will need to make calls from our resort ( about 3) because of odd working hours at home N.J. USA Do we buy the Codetel card I read about, in the DR, and use it at the Iberostar on our regular room phone like a calling card?? Or is there a special phone service we have to use??? Can I purchase a card in the states to use to call home from the DR??? I have been on several websites..and they are all from the USA to the DR.( not vice versa)And the Codetel website was all in spanish .... I apologize if this has been addressed..but I found everything BUT the stuff I needed to know.....

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Codetel phone card allows you to call the US. There are at least a million Dominicans living in the US and the phone lines hum with calls originated from here, many using the Codetel phone card.

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
there is a phone card here in the US that you can buy and use it to call the DR or vice versa. The name of the card is "Merengue".

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies. I was aware that Codetel cards were for phone calls from the DR..but I didn't know if all phones worked w/ them...or if the resorts may get paid NOT to have compatible phones...that type of thing......I will look at that Merengue card...we have a lot of lil spanish groceries by us in Perth Amboy.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My guess is that if you make a call from your room phone it is likely to cost more than if you call from a pay phone or from Codetel. Hotels don't miss many opportunites to make a little money.

Dec 9, 2002
If you make a call from your hotel room and it rings 3 times, you will automatically get charged 3-400 pesos. If the call is answered by the other party the cost goes up from there. I would not recommend it unless you have a bottomless pocket.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
talk to reception

Hi Jersey,
I've used the Codetel card successfully until reception closed my line because I did not have an open credit card with them. Whatever you do, don't use VISA--it costs $4 a minute. You can get the hotel operator to put you through to Codetel, but it's often busy. My suggestion is to arrange a time when you can be in your room to answer calls. How's old Amboy doing? I grew up there. Have a great trip.

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
Thanx everyone

I appreciate this forum immensely......everyone is always so helpful!!! I am definitely NOT gonna make any calls FROM the hotel. Ya think I woulda learned last year!! Hey to Gabriela from Perth Amboy!! How cool is that?? I've lived there on- off since 1975!!! You had mentioned having my family call me???At the risk of sounding really stupid..are you talking about getting a calling card of some type here, and then having them call??? I'm assuming if I just use my regular Verizon phone line..that'll be Boo Koo bucks too???? Can ya recommend a good card to use??? Thanks again everyone!!!!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
cards from North America

Just go into one of the Amboy stores and buy a prepaid calling card that has no connection charge. Give it to your family. Just make sure they know your room or extension number at the hotel. Are you in Amboy now? Give it my love--especially the waterfront.

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
that was quick!!

wow..you're fast!!! Thanks..I have PLENTY of bodegas to choose from I'll find the exact number they have to call, and give it to them.....Perth Amboy is doing well....You wouldn't recognize it. The waterfront is totally changed..new schools..new police station..they are replacing the "little " bridge w/ one that doesn't open.. SIGH...I miss my "old" Amboy.. I now live in Point Pleasant, but my "extended family"..the ones that turned my Irish kids and I into psuedo Puerto Ricans..still live there..and we visit frequently. I always feel like I'm comin home......