Pro Active Polictical Members ?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Are there members of this DR1 community that are proactive in the polictical process of the RD? Each day, every week, we comment about the system that currently exists in the DR, but I am somewhat troubled by the fact that I don't see any steps, comments, etc. that are taken that try and right the situation. It's a whole lot of" hoping for a new gov" "after the elections in May", or " lets see what happens", etc.

That said, I don't live in the DR so maybe I'm off base here- does the system of living in the Dr give any opportunties for ex-pats the opportunity to deal with the process like we would in the USA or Canada-- or something else that I don't understand- do any of members have any say what-so-ever in these matters?? If so what activism is taken? and if not....??

JOHN

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "average" Dominican has no say in the Government here!

As an "Ex-Pat" you have none! I have the feeling that an "Ex-Pat" who was politically critical of the Present government(With a Public Forum)would soon find him/herself on a plane to Puerto Rico,or "worse"! "Nuf said"?

This guy "locks-up" those who piss him off!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Sorry to disagree with you CC but I feel we Ex-Pats have to partake in the "Education" of the electorste here. I totally accept that standing on the Soap-Box in Plaza Central somewhere may get many feathers ruffled & a trip to the local 'Rest-Home for deliquents' might well follow, but some form of "Discussion" with the locals is a start.

"She that must be Obeyed" is merely a wpman here & as such doesn't rank high in the Male Cheavanist arena, but she gets very good support from the local baker whenever she visits & discusses politics with the locals there. I think they are starting to work out her shopping cycle to the bakers & are now waiting for her to show up - ready for a GOOD debate!!

For my part, I take every opportunity to put this Idiot down & 99 times out of 100, get smiles, handshakes, thumps on the back etc. ALWAYS I get an attentive audience who are prepared to accept new ideas & listen to what I have to say ..... & I know NOTHING about politics!!!!

We Ex-Pats have a DUTY to discuss things with our Dominican counterparts - they respect our way of life (generally) & would like to see similar political systems introduced here, they just don't know the ways of introducing those systems & want US to show them the way!! Discuss politics with them & let THEM organise the way forward to greater stability & more concientious political figures in both Houses!! - Grahame.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree, Grahame, there are things we can do. Like you, I talk with friends, acquaintances, taxi drivers, etc., etc , about the political situation and find most, if not all, are as eager for change as I am.

But if johne is suggesting that expats should organize and make our collective views know, then I agree with CC (as I think you did, too, in your post).

I am happy with the casual approach, making comments when I think the ground is fertile, but that is the extent of what I am going to do since I would like to continue to remain in the DR.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Further to my question

Ken--No I'm not suggesting an organized effort-For starters I simply question, from an uneducated position, what is done. I am very happy that there was some response after CC's posting as I was angered about the shut up, do nothing, or get out impression he gave me.

Quite frankly, being a U.S. citizen, I would find it VERY difficult to follow that way of life-whether I was a resident, citizen, or not.
CC's response might work for him, and I respect that, but I'm sure that for many people its mind boggling to see a dictator at work.

I welcome further responses and thoughts.

In the meantime--Peace and Merry Christmas to all.

JOHN

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
johne, I'm sure CC also talks with people about problems being experienced here. But you seemed to be looking for something similar to what you might do in Canada or the US, where organization would be permitted by law and the authorities, though no popular with every citizen. No expat that I know of would want to try that here for fear they wouldn't like the consequences.

We don't think we are doing nothing, because we aren't. But we do try to keep a low profile.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would definitely avoid direct political involvement in any of the main three parties, but I have provided "technical assistance" to smaller groups working towards changing the political culture: reform of the state, decentralisation, promoting genuine participation, education of the electorate, media, etc. All these are sorely needed if the current cycle of clientilism and corruption is ever to be broken.

If expats have any sort of skill that might be useful, this is always an option.

Chiri

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I don't mean to say that voicing your political opinions

in the "Colmado",or local "Pub" is any problem.And we certainly have lots to say here on DR1.But any "Organized" opposition to the present "government"would certainly be a "problem"! Remember the two "DJs" from MontiCristi?And that was only a "joke"!Jornalists sometimes "Disappear" when the are too "Critical",and a supporter of the "PLD" who used the phrase "Come Yerba" while waving a handful of grass a Hipolito,was shot and killed on TV during the last Presidencial Campaign!

The "other" problem,where I live,and where I work,is that it is better for a "foreigner" not to show any preference for a Political Party! I live next door to a General in the "Policia National" who has done "Berry Berry Gud" under the "Hipolito" Rule!The "Pena Gomez' Foundation" is in a house down the block from me,and at work everyone is a "Balaguerista"!

Cris Colon

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
clarification

CC--thank you for clarifing your previous post. Part of what set me off down this road of discussion was a recent episode I had in customs. When I was stopped because I was carrying several hundred pcs of cosmetics (I have a lot of friends LOL) and I was asked to go to a back room for further inspection, was the first time I felt I had few rights and not really in control of a situation. When I said I wasn't going to pay the tax. and I wanted to put the stuff on the floor and stomp on it since it was my property a short guy wearing a knit shirt and a JACKET stepped up near me and asked the inspector what I had said. Well, in the part of NYC that I come from one only wears a jacket in 86 degree weather if you have something you dont want other people to see. Im experienced enough to know this was not my property any longer and the little short guy had pre-emptted any right to the property I thought I had. Three hours later I made a negioated deal and got out of customs.

After my return I started to pay more attention to the posts regarding graft, corruption, etc. etc. and I had a need to know the "proactive aspect" of this posting

JOHN

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I think you will find that the people in the Police, Customs, Army, Navy, Immigration will TAKE whatever action they want to and exercise gross intimidation just for the hell of it, whether or not they have the actual authority to do so. It's all part of the "Machismo" culture! Be warned that when you arrive in the DR, you're in an alien(to you) environment and have NONE of the "inalienable rights" you enjoy under the US Constitution. That goes for Free Speech, Right to face your accuser, etc., etc., even though Similar laws exist here, they are nor universally applied.

Texas Bill