BBC Now on Cable TV in Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Our cable tv provider in Sosua seems to enjoy taking and giving away periodically. Among the most recent changes is the addition of BBC (channel 25).

No question that the world news broadcasts provided by BBC are much more comprehensive than those on CNN. And my wife tells me there are some very interesting programs during the day.

Two problems, however. Many of the tv personalities talk funny and, unfortunately, look like Brits.;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ken said:
No question that the world news broadcasts provided by BBC are much more comprehensive than those on CNN. And my wife tells me there are some very interesting programs during the day.

Two problems, however. Many of the tv personalities talk funny and, unfortunately, look like Brits.;)

Yes, it must be a shock to the system!

Chiri;) ;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Once you have gone BBC, it's hard to go back. They also have by far the best global news web site and must get bored at keep winning awards.

Don't worry Ken, you soon pick up the lingo. In the BBC we trust!

Dec 9, 2002
No Ken, you got it wrong for a change! It's the Brits who talk properly, and everybody else who talks funny;)
Don't worry though, we all still love ya!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
England's favorite soap is not there. "Eastenders" The good news, Eddy's has the Omnibus every Sunday at 20:00 (Plug)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:

Don't worry Ken, you soon pick up the lingo.

You're right, Robert. I thought at first I would need subtitles, but that is no longer necessary.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
My Dear Chap Ken - stop pulling our legs!!! You must have got used to this decent (also exceptionally clear & concise) way of speaking by now. CNN has been employing intrepid British reporters - from ITV & the Beeb - for more than a couple of years now!!! Look at the numbers that reorted from Afghanistan & Iraq during the recent skirmishes!! Seems you Americans prefer to hear our dulcent tones, intonations & reorting style!!

Now CNN, "WHO is the most trusted name in news???? As those who receive BBC will tell you, for GLOBAL insight as to what is happening in the World, you've GOT to go Beeb!!! (Or Deutchewelle, Swedish Broadcasting Service, CBC, maybe even CDN!!!) - Grahame.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Grahame,

I agree that BBC does a much better job of providing comprehensive, factual news of the world than does CNN or any of the American networks. CNN presents the news in a more interesting fashion, but BBC has them beat by a mile with respect to comprehensive, factual content.

And yes, I am used to the funny way that Brits talk. When we were living the life of cruising sailors, without TV, Barbara and I listened to at least one BBC news broadcast per day on shortwave.

Now that we can easily get BBC on tv, I have taken a look at some of the daytime features being offered. I found them very flat compared to their American counterparts, about what I expected.

I am looking forward to getting ascquainted with the evening offerings. I have seen some excellent shows on PBS in the past that were produced by BBC, so anticipate finding some occasional pearls in the rough.

Finally, I notice that there was no argument with my observation that many of the personalities looked, unfortunately, like Brits. (You and Rob are exceptions to this general rule, however).

Happy Holidays, Ken

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Which cable company in the capital offers the Beeb?

Chiri

we get bbc world with aster in santo domingo (channel 73). supercable used to have it, but i think they have stopped it now.
you can actually watch the same channel on the internet (www.bbcworld.com).

i get bbc america on the parabola - i don't know any cable company in santo domingo that provides it.
maybe, if everybody asked.....?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
thanks getonwithit... we are STILL waiting for Aster to do the installations in our neighbourhood, over a year since we cancelled our Telecable subscription in anticipation, having been promised that Aster would be available in December... 2002.

I don't think BBC America is worth it, except perhaps for the vintage Python repeats from the early 70s. Apart from that it seems to feature little else but TV's bitches from hell, Trinny and Susannah - "What Not To Wear".

The People and Arts channel runs some good BBC series too: does Aster offer it?

Chiri

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I would be happy with the addition of BBC. They provide great insight into whats going on around the world. CNN, on the other hand, only relays things to its viewers that the USA has a strong interest in. The one bone I have to pick with the BBC is that they go out of their way to cut down British authority figures. Whether it's the Royal Family or Tony Blair or whoever, the BBC seems to enjoy tearing them to shreds. Makes the network seem a little unprofessional IMHO.

Larry

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
Chirimoya said:
The People and Arts channel runs some good BBC series too: does Aster offer it?

Chiri

this post makes it look as if i watch a lot of tv, but i do do other things.

it has 'people and arts' in spanish - this does run a lot of bbc programmes, but they are usually dubbed.
it's sometimes a bit odd seeing hugh scully, etc. appearing to speak spanish on the antiques roadshow.

Larry (ILoveDR) said:
... Whether it's the Royal Family or Tony Blair or whoever, the BBC seems to enjoy tearing them to shreds. Makes the network seem a little unprofessional IMHO.

Larry

the bbc does have a knack for questioning their government and the powers that be, a quality that seems not to be there with most american media.
dominican media, on the other hand, does question their government a lot, but it usually carries no weight.
i disagree that this makes the bbc look unprofessional. in fact i think it helps, for the most part, show its independence.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
getonwithit said:
it has 'people and arts' in spanish - this does run a lot of bbc programmes, but they are usually dubbed.
it's sometimes a bit odd seeing hugh scully, etc. appearing to speak spanish on the antiques roadshow.

"A bit odd" ??? It's priceless! One day I'll catch the episode they filmed in Gib, in which my parents and other people I know well took part... dubbed by Mexicans.

When we get cable back, whenever that may be.

Chiri

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Who'd want it ??

After the lies that they were caught telling.

Unfortunately, only 2 of the top officials were made into sacrificial lambs, leaving the network intact.

Yes, CNN is bad enough.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Ken said:
I agree that BBC does a much better job of providing comprehensive, factual news of the world than does CNN or any of the American networks. CNN presents the news in a more interesting fashion, but BBC has them beat by a mile with respect to comprehensive, factual content.
Ken

Factual? Now thats funny.
I watch the BBC like I do most other networks. With the Knowledge that they have a political agenda.
I have noticed that CNN is becoming more middle of the road like FOX. I guess they finally have some people upstairs with some ethics.

Newspapers: Wall Street Journal, Investors Business Daily, Miami Herald, Diario Las Americas, Washington Times and even the NY Times for International News. Of course with the knowledge that most have an agenda.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tony C, I, too, have noticed some changes in CNN recently.

Re BBC, now that I've had more opportunity to watch their news program, I agree they have their own agenda. Confirmation of this came recently when BBC was caught making a case against the Prime Minister without a basis for doing so.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Ladybird said:
how do I get cable tv in Sosua, I was told I was too far away from the main road but others further away seem to have it?
Call Cable Atlantico 571-3734 and ask them.