Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default BBC Now on Cable TV in Sosua

Our cable tv provider in Sosua seems to enjoy taking and giving away periodically. Among the most recent changes is the addition of BBC (channel 25).

No question that the world news broadcasts provided by BBC are much more comprehensive than those on CNN. And my wife tells me there are some very interesting programs during the day.

Two problems, however. Many of the tv personalities talk funny and, unfortunately, look like Brits.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: BBC Now on Cable TV in Sosua

Originally posted by Ken
    No question that the world news broadcasts provided by BBC are much more comprehensive than those on CNN. And my wife tells me there are some very interesting programs during the day.

Two problems, however. Many of the tv personalities talk funny and, unfortunately, look like Brits.
    Yes, it must be a shock to the system!

Chiri

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Once you have gone BBC, it's hard to go back. They also have by far the best global news web site and must get bored at keep winning awards.

Don't worry Ken, you soon pick up the lingo. In the BBC we trust!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Program info is available here http://www.bbcamerica.com/bbcamerica.jsp

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

No Ken, you got it wrong for a change! It's the Brits who talk properly, and everybody else who talks funny
    Don't worry though, we all still love ya!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

England's favorite soap is not there. "Eastenders" The good news, Eddy's has the Omnibus every Sunday at 20:00 (Plug)

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Which cable company in the capital offers the Beeb?

Chiri

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Robert

Don't worry Ken, you soon pick up the lingo.
    You're right, Robert. I thought at first I would need subtitles, but that is no longer necessary.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

My Dear Chap Ken - stop pulling our legs!!! You must have got used to this decent (also exceptionally clear & concise) way of speaking by now. CNN has been employing intrepid British reporters - from ITV & the Beeb - for more than a couple of years now!!! Look at the numbers that reorted from Afghanistan & Iraq during the recent skirmishes!! Seems you Americans prefer to hear our dulcent tones, intonations & reorting style!!

Now CNN, "WHO is the most trusted name in news???? As those who receive BBC will tell you, for GLOBAL insight as to what is happening in the World, you've GOT to go Beeb!!! (Or Deutchewelle, Swedish Broadcasting Service, CBC, maybe even CDN!!!) - Grahame.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Grahame,

I agree that BBC does a much better job of providing comprehensive, factual news of the world than does CNN or any of the American networks. CNN presents the news in a more interesting fashion, but BBC has them beat by a mile with respect to comprehensive, factual content.

And yes, I am used to the funny way that Brits talk. When we were living the life of cruising sailors, without TV, Barbara and I listened to at least one BBC news broadcast per day on shortwave.

Now that we can easily get BBC on tv, I have taken a look at some of the daytime features being offered. I found them very flat compared to their American counterparts, about what I expected.

I am looking forward to getting ascquainted with the evening offerings. I have seen some excellent shows on PBS in the past that were produced by BBC, so anticipate finding some occasional pearls in the rough.

Finally, I notice that there was no argument with my observation that many of the personalities looked, unfortunately, like Brits. (You and Rob are exceptions to this general rule, however).

Happy Holidays, Ken

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast