Phone card fraud alert

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yesterday I was phoned by a person who identified himself as AMET officer XYZ who told me that my husband had been involved in a car accident, in which a person had died and that my husband was in custody. Unfortunately, said the caller, my husband's cellphone was damaged in the accident, and I was to go to the nearest outlet and buy "four of the most expensive Codetel calling cards" so that he could call me, his insurance company etc.

I was to do this without hanging up the phone, and give him the numbers down the line on my return. Of course I smelt a rat. When I told him - after lengthy argument, which often took on a threatening and abusive tone - that the only way I would do this would be if he gave me a phone number to call him back, which I would do once I had called my husband's cellphone for verification, as well as the vehicle workshop where I knew for a fact the car was, he hung up on me.

I phoned the police and the reaction was, oh, yeah, that's a scam: they are often prisoners in jail trying to get access to calling card numbers... some people have been cheated out of as much as RD$2000. The operator was not in the least interested in the details, although I tried to press them on her.

Great Christmas present for the gullible, no?

Chiri

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you for that little tidbit.

It is a good thing to warn the un-wise.

As Barnum once said: "There is one born every minute."

HB