My Tours

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
I will be in Puerto Plata the beginning of May....have booked a local person for a couple tour days. Last year we did the Jeep Safari ( luckily had school supplies in hand, thanks to this forum). This time I would like to see the country...the people... etc.. Kinda off your typical tour track... Can any of you recommend things I can tell the tour guide. He has set places he takes people..but also say's he is open to any suggestions.... Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sort of depends on how far you want to go.

If you get out of POP area and head South, you have the option of going to Monte Cristi, and exploring the little towns of Guayub?n and Casta?uelas, along with the towns on the road.. Interesting places to distribute school stuff...They rarely see anyone non-Dominican.

If you go to the East (after going South to the Duarte Highway) you will see SAntiago, the largest city in the northern half of the country. You would enjoy the Eduardo Leon Center, a new museum of things Dominican.. then you can go to Tamboril, Canca la Reina, Canca al Medio, San Victor, and Moca, by the back way. You can return by going across to Jamao and eating at the Cafeto, a georgeous hillside restaurant with breathtaking views...

OR, you can go West straight from POP, and visiti Maimon and Luperon and El Castillo, cross the Bajabonico to La Isabela and go on to Estero Hondo and Punta Ruc?a.

Or, you can go East from POP to Cabarete, Gaspar Hernandez, R?o San Juan (Laguna Gr?-Gr? and the Cueva de las Golondrinas)
Playa Grande Abreu, Cabrera, Nagua, Sanchez and Samana, where you can watch the whales cavort...

Need more??

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Unless you HATE heights, you should certainly get to the cable-car (the only one in the Caribbean) & go up Mnt. Isabel de Tores. Only RD $100 per person when I last checked & the views of the north coast from there a SUPERB!! Choose a day when the cloud is not covering the top though & try to get out early to avoid all the tourists!! Spend 2 or 3 hours up there walking the Botanical gardens if that takes your fancy.

Get your guide to take you up to the small villages alongside the Ruta Turistica to Santiago &/or get off the main highway & go visit families up at El Cupe, or at the beach of Bergantin (LOVELY lobster restaurant there!!). How about going on a horse ride through the mountains - your guide should be able to get you some decent horses, if not, get in touch with me!!

As HB (the sage of ALL knowledge) says, there are LOTS of things to do & everyone will give you a hearty welcome, especially if you take some pencils, colouring books etc for the children. A bottle or two of rum will help greatly too as you will then get offered coffee to put in it!!!

Have a great trip & let us know (in 'Trip Reports') how you got on!!- Grahame.

JRSYCOLL

Mar 10, 2003
always a help

Thanks so much for "yet again"...the help I needed. I can't wait to go back.. ( supplies in hand) Happy New Year!!!!