Someone poisoned my Dobermans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Two nights ago someone poisoned our male and female Dobermans, my wife woke me up as she had heard a noise outside.
When I opened the door and went outside right away I thought that something was wrong when my dogs were not around to meet me.
I saw the Dogs laying on the far driveway and it donned on me what had happend, we had been out all that afternoon and late into the evening so I'm not exactly sure when the attempted break in took place, and I'm not sure how long poison takes to work or what exactly they were given... I checked around the house.
The Aluminum window at the far side of the house had been pried open slightly but the intruder had fled.
We have bars on all the windows so I don't know what he was going to do with the louver's pried open, unless just try and grab something within reach in that spare guest bedroom.

We are now looking for a pair or a single male Rottweiler, if any one has any info please post......

A Merry Xmas to all Dr1 ers.

Gringo

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Can they be trained not to take food from anyone but you and your wife?

Scott, if you see this, what do you think? You were in the dog business for a long time.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
sorry to hear this about your dogs.
And yes, you can train a dog not to take food from anybody else. However, it's a long a hard training process, it might take several weeks if not months to train your dogs to take food only from a special person.
Also, keep in mind, if you and your wife plan to go to vacation, you need also have a third (backup) person who would be able and accepted by your dog to feed them.

In Sosua there is a newly opened dog school, I'm sure you can get info there how to train your dogs.
Also in Sosua I saw lately flyers of pure bread rot pubs for sale. Check in the supermarkets for this flyers.

Be very careful in the next days. I heard before, that dogs get poisoned only so the intruder can come back a few days (or nights) later before the dogs have been 'replaced', so he can break into the house without getting disturbed.

Have a save merry christmas.
quaqualita

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If the dogs are part of your security program, then I would think it would be well worth the time and effort to train them not to take food from any but the designated persons.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ken said:
If the dogs are part of your security program, then I would think it would be well worth the time and effort to train them not to take food from any but the designated persons.

Thank you Ken for the insight, please let me in on how I can train my dogs to take only food from thier masters as I'm only a poor Gringo who has lived here for 15 years and has no dog training experience............

We had a fantastic Yorkshire Terrier before who everyone thought was a pit bull!
We had him for nine years until someone fed him Chicken bones and it got cought in his throught and he died as a result...

At that time we were introduced to a Dominacan who had two Dobermans that he aquirerd from a person from Spain who had to depart suddenly.....These dogs lived with this Dominican for about six months before he saw a chance to capitalize on his inheritance and off these dogs for RD$1500.00.

If any one is familer with how (MOST DOMINICANS) not all treat thier dogs then you will know what I was up against.

The road was long but I have lived and loved dogs all of my life and I was determined to give these dogs a normal home.

Missing my dogs......

Gringo

Last edited:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thank you Quaqualita...........

quaqualita said:
sorry to hear this about your dogs.
And yes, you can train a dog not to take food from anybody else. However, it's a long a hard training process, it might take several weeks if not months to train your dogs to take food only from a special person.
Also, keep in mind, if you and your wife plan to go to vacation, you need also have a third (backup) person who would be able and accepted by your dog to feed them.

In Sosua there is a newly opened dog school, I'm sure you can get info there how to train your dogs.
Also in Sosua I saw lately flyers of pure bread rot pubs for sale. Check in the supermarkets for this flyers.

Be very careful in the next days. I heard before, that dogs get poisoned only so the intruder can come back a few days (or nights) later before the dogs have been 'replaced', so he can break into the house without getting disturbed.

Thank you for your concern........

But if the Intruder wants to come back, I have my friend Smith + Wesson with me always........To coin a fraise by Clint Eastwood............MAKE MY DAY.

Take care

Gringo

Have a save merry christmas.
quaqualita

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Not Nice ...... BUT.........

An old trick from living in Africa where robbery is rife!!
At the puppy stage, get a local to come in every day and beat the hell out of the dogs!!! Then you go in and feed them. Do this for about 6 months and the pups will soon learn to hate everbody but you!!!! (Dobermans, Rotties and Ridgebacks are best at getting angry and learning/associating between who is good and who is bad)!!!
There is a problem though as the dogs then savage anybody and everybody who is not a gringo (in Africa a "Mzungu") who comes anywhere near the property!!
I did say that it wasn't very nice ..... but needs must!!
By the way we also keep a poison kit injection for the dogs in the fridge - just in case!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
How do the dogs know "Which Is Which?"

Must be really smart dogs to tell the "difference" between an "African",and a "Gringo"!What do they do,ask to see a passport before they bite someone?? Cris Colon

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
CC- Color comes to mind and smell, Africans smell different.

Gringo - You can also try to modify the training method advised by Peter and Alex, by using the word 'friend'. If a local comes in and you use the word friend and feed the dog, the dog associates this with good, if a local comes in and beats the hell out of it without you around and nobody using theword friend, you can train them to attack anybody they see who you do not call friend first....

This way some of the effects can be mitigated.

MD

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
dogs are the best security

we have 6 dogs at home (2 Saint Bernard / Rottweiler Mix, 1 Maltese, and 3 Dominican dogs). Only one of the Saint Bernards was kind of 'educated', she was a great family and watch dog.
All the other dogs, which we got later never got really trained or educated, but they seemed to 'learn' from the first dog and got even better watch dogs, they won't let anybody into the house - black or white.
But I agree, to teach your dog not to take food from another person, is a long and hard training process. First of all, you have to spend a lot of time with your dogs, they need to accept you as their 'pack leader'.
Feed them allways on the same time, same place. By the age of about 3 to 4 months you need a 'helper' the dogs are not supposed to take food from. Let him feed them, and when they take the food they need to get punished from you - right at this moment. Repeat this procedure about 5 times every day and reward them when you see a little progress.
When they have learnt not to take food from your helper, get another helper and to the same. You need to do this with many different helpers, so you can be sure your dogs understand that they are not allowed to take food from anybody - not just this one or two helpers.
If you keep training your dogs this way every day several times, and depending how intelligent your dog is and how much he accepts your will, it will take a few months until you can be sure, that your dogs will accept food only by you.
If you live in the Sosua area, check with "Finca de los perros" dog training, in La Mulata 1, after the international school, they are open tuesdays to saturdays 5 pm to 8 pm and sundays from 9 am to 2 pm, phone 571-1294.

good luck
quaqualita

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I know that the "French",and Spanish "Stink",but all

the "Africans" I ever met smelled "good"!And believe it or not,there are "White" Africans,and "Black" Americans!!!Try and "Diversify" your outlook on people!

Cris Colon

That training method "Attack Blacks",wouldn't work in my house,we have all "Colors" living here! And where do the dogs,"Draw The Color Line" as to who gets in? Would "Native Americans" get in for instance?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
new meaning for me

The Marcus Garvey theme of 'back to Africa' has a whole new meaning for me now. PetAlex: Back to Africa!

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
i don't believe dogs are the best security.

.....i believe dogs provide a high sense of false security.

this topic often comes up on dr1.

after hearing of so many bad experiences from friends in the dr, usually with reference to poisoned pets/guard dogs, etc, the only conclusion you can come to is that if somebody wants to get into your home to rob you (or whatever), dogs or no dogs, they will.

dogs make good pets - that's usually it.

as to what is the best security - i am open to ideas, as long as it has nothing to do with guns (i am not a wimp, but i am not a pratt either).

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Re: I know that the "French",and Spanish "Stink",but all

Criss Colon said:
the "Africans" I ever met smelled "good"!And believe it or not,there are "White" Africans,and "Black" Americans!!!Try and "Diversify" your outlook on people!

Cris Colon

That training method "Attack Blacks",wouldn't work in my house,we have all "Colors" living here! And where do the dogs,"Draw The Color Line" as to who gets in? Would "Native Americans" get in for instance?

CC-

I agree the attack blacks method would be difficult to put in to place, that's why I modified it to 'friend' or no friend. You decide who is allowed in and not the dog, based upon whatever criteria you want to apply.

MD

BTW I never qualified the smell on anybody, just pointed to the fact they smell different. IMHO they smell a bit sweeter than white people but then that's just me..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Oops!

Peter and Alex, I think you just said a 'politically incorrect' thing! But I come from Africa and I understand what you're saying! In fact, we had a formal 'dog-beater' on staff. His job was to beat the dogs. Our dogs always attacked everyone that smelt different. I could not even change my perfume, and my own dogs would bark at me...

More seriously, in some parts of Africa the local folks do have a very particular body odor - as a simple result of their diet. Almost the same as the smell that a meat-eater has to a vegetarian. And many farms way off the beaten track did teach their security dogs to attack everyone smelling different from the family. This is a fact of life, not a political statement.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Tried & True" Dominican method:

All street smart Dominicans ALWAYS leave someone in the house,24/7!Cris Colon

I throw a "Steak" to your dog,he is going to eat it!!! Especially if you are NOT AT HOME!

"Rat Poison","Warfarin", is the "Drug Of Choice" to poison dogs here! It takes about a day,as they Bleed to death from their "GI" tract!I lost one dog that way.If I had known what was happening,I would have shot him so he wouldn't have suffered for so long!

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Oh Boy!

Now I've heard it all. Let me make sure I understand this correctly. Train your dog to be prejudice, and you can sleep better at night. Chris Colon you seem to be making the most sense here when you wrote
" believe it or not,there are "White" Africans,and "Black" Americans. Must be really smart dogs to tell the "difference" between an "African",and a "Gringo"!What do they do,ask to see a passport before they bite someone?? Cris Colon"

Peter you said

An old trick from living in Africa where robbery is rife!!
At the puppy stage, get a local to come in every day and beat the hell out of the dogs!!! Then you go in and feed them. Do this for about 6 months and the pups will soon learn to hate everbody but you!!!! (Dobermans, Rotties and Ridgebacks are best at getting angry and learning/associating between who is good and who is bad)!!!

Peter & MerengueDutchie answer this what if the person who poisoned the dogs did so by throwing a piece of poisoned meat over a 10 foot wall. If the dogs survived that ordeal, how would they know the color of the person who was responssible?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
take a deep breath

Before we get wrapped up in politics and skin color again, I understand that the purpose is to teach the dogs not to take any food unless it comes from your hand... So the dogs are trained to be wary towards strangers and not to accept food from them.

Apart from that you can teach dogs to attack or stay on the basis of recognizable traits like color, smell or sound.

In Africa it's a bit easier in terms of black and white so you learn them to distinguish on that basis. In the DR I think the use of the word 'friend' to distinguish people would be more approriate.

I always thought the thread was about home security and using dogs to protect you.. nothing more.

MD

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Who Played "The RACE Card"??

I confess!

Since we are "Not Allowed" to discuss "RACE" anymore on DR1 ,I will have to blame me,and close the tread

I thought Robert was talking about the "Formula One" Race!!!!!!

But I was wrong!

Does that include the "HUMAN RACE??"

Cris Colon:alien: :alien: :alien: :alien:

On second thought,and in "Fairness" to the original post,just leave the ,"Use-a-negro-for-bait" training method discussions out and continue!

Last edited:

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
Re: Oops!

Chris said:
... Almost the same as the smell that a meat-eater has to a vegetarian.

...are you serious? smokers/non-smokers, garlic eaters/non-garlic eaters, whites/blacks, dirty sock wearers/clean sock wearers, etc., but i have never heard that one before (meat-eaters/vegetarians).

i am a meat-eater, what do i smell like to a vegetarian (taking into account that i brush my teeth and have at least two showers a day, with a complete change of clothing each time)? chicken?

Status
Not open for further replies.