WOW! Got assaulted my 1st day here!

theartofbone

Oct 28, 2003
DR1's,

Sonofa.. ;) Damn... I had just gotten to Santo domingo and I was chillen w/ my uncle and cousin when we decided to go on a tour of these houses called Narcisa I, right by my house, Cancino II. Well, I kid you not, an hour had not even passed from my arrival at the airport where this tigere (thug) walks up to me and asks "What street is this"in spanish. I was shocked cause to me the guy looked African American and I was trippin on the fact that he spoke spanish, so I was like '"ugh..."" and boom, the guy grabbed for my neck and broke off three of my silver chains. I in response grabbed for his arms and fought him for a good thirty seconds while my cousin, the little whiny bastard didnt even help much since he's so scrawny, yelled at the top of his lungs. Luckily Ive been in kickboxing and kenpo my whole life so I was able to take the guy down and score in some powerful hits. After the guy got back up he pulled a knife on me and my cousin screamed at me and convinced me to run away, which I did.

Heres the second part of the story. while we ran back to the house, some neighbors and a military guy living in the area had caught the guy. He threw my chains under a vehicle to pull off the biggest lie of the year. He said, "Those two guys running just robbed me and assaulted me!" That lieing sack of shxt... So, we're running and luckily we ran into my cousins house cause the military guy was out with his gun looking for us. The next day we cleared everything back and a lady returned 2/3 chains because she was speaking with my aunt when she told my aunt about the story. "Yea, two boys jumped someone and I found 2 chains." My aunt quickly jumped up and claimed it was her son and her nephew (me).

It seems like I've got alot to learn and already am. People look at me w/ a face of a stranger and want to charge me higher prices in pesos than they would to a local, then I bust out with my heavy New Jersey-Dominican chopped up Spanish accent and claim out to them. It's funny that over there in the United States people would tell me "You sound mad dominican", while here in Santo Domingo I sound like a total outsider. ;) I guess it takes time.

But anyway, I got accepted into the medical school at Unibe, so at least so far besides my incident, it is going good. I now have a house and have learned to trust no one, since corruption and "gente viva" roam around the city too damn much.

Well, enough of my rant. Post away a reply or flame if you like.

Best Regards,
Roberto

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry to hear this Roberto. Same thing happened to my husband who is Dominican when he was on the back of a moto a few weeks ago while in Santo Domingo. Another moto pulled up along side at a red light with two guys on it, one grabbed his gold bracelet and the other took his gold chain. It happened so fast that he didnt even get a good look at them.

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
What is the moral of the story? Don't wear your gold/silver in public. Regards, PJT

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
PJT said:
What is the moral of the story? Don't wear your gold/silver in public. Regards, PJT

Unfortunately, you are right. You would think you should be able to wear your jewlery anywhere you like. Some people might say, "screw that, I will wear my jewlery anywhere I want", and I don't blame them. But if you do, you have to be prepared to fight just in case something happens like happened to the OP. I am not familiar with SD but Sosua is infested with terrific pick pockets and people who are looking to rip jewlery and so forth. I imagine SD is the same in sections. The best thing to do is not flash a lot of jewlery or money and just carry what you plan on spending in a pocket with some sort of button/clasp. Otherwise, as a tourist, you are opening yourself up for problemas.

Larry

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I just don't get this new fashion with guy who wear heavy ear rings and heavy chains in USA now-a-days. Seems like the ghetto/faggot fashion is in fullswing with the new generation.
Here is a simple formula: if you guys come to DR and end up staying in a barrio where your next door neighbor changes his oil on the street and you take motoconcho for moving around, don't wear your jewelry. You are living very close to scumbags and street thugs. This sort of exposure is not necessary and will only invite trouble. If you must wear heavy jewelry then make sure you ride around in a car and carry a gun. If you can't carry a gun then hang out with a friend who does.

This is the only time I will agree with Senor Pakastani Elitest (AZB) minus the "Ghetto/Faggot comment. AZB you got issues.

Get rid of the Jewlery. That played out when Mr. T was popular.
If you want a symbol of success, get an education and assume a mortage and leave the gold alone. That does not mean hanging "Mortgage Deeds" around your neck to show you own a home. :cool:

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I don't know about the original poster, but my husband wasn't wearing the Queen's jewels, only a very modest chain and bracelet. He was not asking to robbed, and it is not his fault that it happened, but I'm sure he will take more caution next time he is there.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Robber

Remenber that MR-T was a fighter and he is an student, in Santo Domingo the robber don't care about gold or silver, one day I was waiting in the guagua at Jos? Marti and Paris av. I was sitting
close to the window and one guy toke my Base ball hat.

My advice to every one is to take care also taking public transportation in Santo Domingo, there people who are pretending to be a passengers like woman with kids and old guys in the car making but unfortunately some times they are not.

Thats can happen every where but the worse thing is that 95% of the cases police doesnt pay attention to the cases. This can happen to any person.

Merry Christmas guys.

Homer Simpson

Starz_in_my_eye

Nov 29, 2003
Sorry you have to experience that Roberto. Just look at it as a lesson learned

Its funny I was just speaking to a co-worker of mine just yesterday, and he was telling me how bad Santo Domingo is. It was hard for me to believe just returning from Puerto Plata on vacation. It is quite the opposite there, as in Santiago where my co worker is from.

It is unfortunate that these "tigres" watch American rappers and become street thugs themselves. Everybody wants to live American but as they say in Lotto you have to be in it. Funny those same tigres would never survive in America. Roberto, you sure proved that when you gave them that AMERICAN A$$ WHIPPING.

Again I am sorry that one on life's lessons had to be your own people trying to do you harm. But you being the better man says alot for you as a person. Hey who knows... somewhere down the road you might open your practice up in SD and save the lives of the sons of those same tigres

Much luck and success, and be the best dayum doctor you can be.

regards

Coqui

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Joe's right

As I am sorry to say;)

What may appear of little worth to you is still a lot of money for somebody who has nothing. So if you are not willing to lose it, don't wear it.

This goes for any country/city or hood you visit.

MD

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
Starz_in_my_eye said:
Sorry you have to experience that Roberto. Just look at it as a lesson learned

Its funny I was just speaking to a co-worker of mine just yesterday, and he was telling me how bad Santo Domingo is. It was hard for me to believe just returning from Puerto Plata on vacation. It is quite the opposite there, as in Santiago where my co worker is from.

It is unfortunate that these "tigres" watch American rappers and become street thugs themselves. Everybody wants to live American but as they say in Lotto you have to be in it. Funny those same tigres would never survive in America. Roberto, you sure proved that when you gave them that AMERICAN A$$ WHIPPING.

Again I am sorry that one on life's lessons had to be your own people trying to do you harm. But you being the better man says alot for you as a person. Hey who knows... somewhere down the road you might open your practice up in SD and save the lives of the sons of those same tigres

Much luck and success, and be the best dayum doctor you can be.

regards

Coqui

Lol! don't blame rap videos or american T.V.,because I seriously doubt that's enough to turn a young"tigre"into a criminal.Hows about poverty?What you're suggesting is like saying that watching horror flicks turns people into homicidal maniacs.

I dunno....I just get sick of people in other countries complaining about the effects of american television,yet continuing to patronize it and not investing in their own media outlets.

The moral of this story is:

1.When people from wealthy nations travel to poor third world nations(like the RD),they really shouldn't flaunt their wealth,by doing so they're asking for trouble.

2.If safety is a big concern for an individual,perhaps they should consider bypassing the third world altogether.

Carl.

Carl

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Sorry to hear about the assault.

Roberto,

Espantosa...tu historia. I was just in Sto.Domingo 2 weeks ago and I am always aware of my surroundings and just pray that nothing like that happens to me!. Sto. Domingo and other cities where tourists are visible to the naked eye are always targets. I guess this was a hard lesson for you to learn but as we say in Spanish...Nunca se puede confiar en nadie y la moraleja es.... quitate todo y anda con ropa vieja mi hijo.

Take care,

Lesley D.

loveleighmee

Dec 27, 2003
usually just a spectator but had to respond

carl ericson70 said:
Lol! don't blame rap videos or american T.V.,because I seriously doubt that's enough to turn a young"tigre"into a criminal.Hows about poverty?What you're suggesting is like saying that watching horror flicks turns people into homicidal maniacs.
Carl.

Carl

I think this incident speaks of the dire economic crisis in DR. When people turn to drastic acts such as this it screams desperation and poverty. These issues can not be resolved by the police alone. The police at this point are like band aids on a bullet wound. The problem is far deeper. This is a systemic problem, one that requires addressing by those in power.
What I find alarming is your respone, Roberto. Those chains are material items that can be replaced. Fighting with someone who may have nothing to lose can be FATAL. It sounds like you have a rewarding future in front of you, 3 silver chains are not worth the risk. Cuidate.

Linda

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Amen to that, sancochojoe

sancochojoe said:
This is the only time I will agree with Senor Pakastani Elitest (AZB) minus the "Ghetto/Faggot comment. AZB you got issues.

Get rid of the Jewlery. That played out when Mr. T was popular.
If you want a symbol of success, get an education and assume a mortage and leave the gold alone. That does not mean hanging "Mortgage Deeds" around your neck to show you own a home. :cool:
I have visited my home in cabarete about 10 times in a few years and the last 3 times that I was there, I took my bestfriend with me( I, as well as his wife and kids, are ashamed to be seen with him because he was a cadenudo (a person that wears many chains). Every single time they robbed him of his chains. All 3 times. Then the jack ass has the nerve to ask why. I wear just one chain that was given to me by my mom and I have never had a problem. If you flash your jewelry, you are inviting people to rob you. Get it together people, you flash money or jewelry, you will get robbed, anywhere in the country. Maximo never listened to me, but he did learned his lesson when he was stabbed a few times for his stupid chains a few years back. Now-a-day, he would not wear a chain even if you pay him.
Can someone make me understand the infactuation with using many chains?.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
There are assumptions being made, some outlandish, about the situations described at the beginning of this thread. I'm not sure this helps anyone. The message here is that possibly this type of crime is on the rise in Santo Domingo and no matter who you are, you should be aware and take extra precautions. Plain and simple.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
What?????

Nelly said:
There are assumptions being made, some outlandish, about the situations described at the beginning of this thread. I'm not sure this helps anyone. The message here is that possibly this type of crime is on the rise in Santo Domingo and no matter who you are, you should be aware and take extra precautions. Plain and simple.
This has been a problem in the DR since I was a child, and by the way I am a baby of 41 summers. Maybe they are more frequent than before because, 20 or 25 years ago, people were not flashing their jewerly all over the place. It's not enough, for some, to have many chains, but they have the need to have their shirt open so everybody can see their chains. It's basically the same as if you leave your door open, so people can see what you have, some ladron will come in and rob your house. The precautions that one needs to take is to stop flashing your chains and button up your shirt. Wake up an smell the burning tire, if you invite trouble, trouble will come and get you without a reservation. Guaranteed.

Last edited:

JOHNQ

Dec 11, 2003
Can someone inform me of a country thats crime free.

I lived in Miami for 10 years not one day went by that someone didn't get robbed. In 1990 I moved to Naples, Florida where crime was minor at the time, but since then its been getting worst.

If you decide to show of what you have, you better be aware of your sorroundings.
If you decide to carry a gun you need to be responsible and know that your going use it . I've known people to pull out a gun and still gotten robbed, by been affraid to use it. Guns don't scare many people. Thugs know when their victims are willing to pull the trigger.

Please be careful
JOHNQ

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
16 DEC

I arrived in Sosua in 16 December around 230 in the afternoon. In the mean time while I was in Sosua enjoying myself one of my shipmates up here in Norfolk Viginia was coming out of a bar at 930 at night when someone robbed him and stole his car. BTW 2 slugs in the chest three days of induced coma and a week in CCU later he is able to talk and breath on his own now.
I dont feel anymore fear in the DR than I do the states.
John