Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Is it better to buy gas fridge/freezers and your own generators, water tanks?

As electricity is so expensive and unreliable and the water unsafe, is it better to be self sufficient as much as possible? and can you buy gas fridge/freezers, if so are they reliable. Barby

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Right now gas (LPG) is also becoming like "hens teeth". Read the news and you will see why this is happening and why LPG fridge/freezers might not be such a great idea right now.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hallo Robert, nice to meet the originator, we're moving there 14 Jan, so how do people save their food in fridges when there are power cuts? Barbara

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

The either have backup power sources, eat it or throw it away.

Lots of threads on this message board talking about back up power sources, generators and invertors.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

"Back up" water is a good idea. Most hotels and apartment complexes have them, as do a great many homes. The are called tanakas here and come in varous capacities. Widely available.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert, Ive searched the archives thanks. I cant find the news article about propane gas, (or hens teeth) where would I find this .
    Ken hallo, nice Christmas I hope, how nice to speak to you as it has just turned into my birthday, Im 1 year younger. Where would I find more info on these tanakas, sizes and prices, Ive seen Micheal in classified that sells purifiers and Ive made contact but wonder which would be better. How do you manage in power cuts Ken? Barbara

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Barby,

We were lucky and tapped in to a neighbours generator and well. To date, we have not been without water or electricity apart from one incident when the generator was down for repairs for 2 hrs.

Depending on where you live, you might need an invertor and/or generator (we have neither).

When you arrive, speak to your neighbours to see what they use....You might get lucky if they have a large power unit or you live close to a gated community / apartment block.

We pay 1,500 pesos per month for the maintenance on the generator and all the water we can use. At this price and in the current economic climate it does not make financial sense for us to buy a generator and maintain it. Bargain when I read through some of the horrible times other people go through.

As far as LPG goes, on a trip to Santiago last week, there were q's a mile long past every gas station. No chance of getting a look in. Next week I am going to drop the gardener off at 6am and pick him up at 6pm and see if we have got lucky.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by ecandido
    Robert, Ive searched the archives thanks. I cant find the news article about propane gas, (or hens teeth) where would I find this.
    http://www.dr1.com/news/2003/

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Sandeep, dont know if we have neighbours, yes Im bringing yr beans and some for us so we can all survive out there, if theres no power and now no gas, what on earths going on?? Get some gas for us if its that bad....

Thanks Robert I'll read it. Barby

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

When you get here you can investigate the tanakas. They are easily obtained; stocked by many.

Our condo complex has a backup generator. However, if it didn't, we would at least have an inverter. Whether you can get by on an inverter or should have your own generator will depend on where you live and how the power situation is there. It is not the same everyplace.

Talk with people living in same area; that is best way of determining what you should do.

PS: a bit of advice. If you get yourself all worried now about power, etc., you will never make it here. Things almost always work out. Get here, talk with people living in area where you will be, then make your decisions with their input. Remember, they have already confronted and dealt with these problems. Their advice of more value to you than the general input we can give you on this message board.
    Last edited by Ken; 12-28-2003 at 09:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast