Grabbing of suitcases/Expecting Tips

W

Wayne

When I visited Turkey, Porters grabbed my bags carried them 100yards and expected a massive tip. In future visits I have held on to my bags sometimes having to grip hard to avoid having them grabbed by porters. What is the situation for this at Puerto Plata airport, do I need to be wary? Will they be okay if I refuse to let them carry my baggage or will they get 'touchy' about it?

Thanks for any info! Wayne.

S

Susan

Wayne: just returned from the minefield that is Santo Domingo airport. Armed with knowledge from this board, and expecting trouble, I briefed my partner to just politely and FIRMLY say "no, gracias" and look like you mean it! I even took my case back off a chap who had his hand on it.... and at no time was there any nastiness. They just scoot to a more wimpy looking person! We came through PP airport two years ago with no problem with the same modus operandi.

P

Phyllis

Just be firm yet polite and you won't have any problems. I've visited this beautiful country 3 times in the last year and never had any problems, however I have let someone take my bags and tipped 2-5 US and they were appreciative (remember these tips put food on their table).

T

Tom

Wayne

Most of the porters will try and convince you they should be paid $20.00 per bag! Just be firma nd give them 3-4 per bag, depending on weight etc. When they give you the "Poor me" routine, ask them if they would rather not be paid and thank them for the free service. They will quickly understand. There are plenty of Police about and no one will get physical or intimidating

Tom

P

Pascal Yhuello

I find things have improved over years . My first experience at the belt in Puerto Plata went real bad . I believe the porters have received instructions not to go beyond limits along the line of policemen used to stop tourists to offer ' help ' while driving around in the country . Nowadays it is a real pleasure. Bear in mind though that if you don't want any help and you chose to carry your bags ,You will not be allowed to take the caddies beyond the exit door. Last observation a 2-5 USD tips will presumably not bring food in the plate of nobody might jut help fight the thurst. Pascal

T

Tom

>>>>>>Last observation a 2-5 USD tips will presumably not bring food in the plate of nobody might jut help fight the thurst. Pascal

Pascal:

I don't quite understand that statement. Porters at US Airports expect 2-3$ per bag and given the cost of living/wage difference, I would think maybe ten-fifteen bags at an average of $2.50 would be decent pay for the average unskilled worker in the DR

Tom

P

Pascal Yhuello

I meant to highlight that the statement !!!! however I have let someone take my bags and tipped 2-5 US and they were appreciative (remember these tips put food on their table)!!!!'wasn't necessarily accurate as you will find the dominicans will claim they don't need those tips to eat every day may they are just being proud . I however think considering the number of porters as opposed to the number of tourists using their services this activity can't be anyway qualified as a proper job , offer exceeds demand . Just being at an international airport provide lots of other opportunities. Pascal

P

Paola

From my past experiences in the Dominican, sometimes "no gracias" won't help. My best advice is to say "no tengo dinero", that usually gets rid of them.

G

Greg and Connie Wales

Pascal, would you elaborate on the opportunities that a worker at the international airport could benefit from? And back to the second subject in this thread. What is a fair wage to carry or pull luggage 50 - 75 yards? I understand registered nurses were on strike because they wanted more than the rough equivalent of US$12.00 for a full day of skilled care. How can a luggage mover be worth so much more? I don't begrudge them the money if it's fair. But, what is fair?

B

Bill-Ontario

Gregory: I get your message - One time, a number of years ago, at Puerto Plata airport - I was asked for 50 pesos by the person who wanted to carry a bag - The year before I saw a person, in Sosua, working with pick and shovel for 10 hours, without shoes and adequate footwear for the same amount of pesos.

Needless to say, they didn't get 50 pesos, or any other amount.

From that point on, the amount, and the number of persons involved are established prior to carrying my luggage.

I found recently at Puerto Plata airport, much better than in the past. Bill

W

Wade

50-75 yards!? They want $20 tips for carrying your bags from the curb to the bus! Wherever I go, I carry my own luggage and it's not because I'm cheap. It's because it seems demeaning to have someone else carry something for me that I'm more than capable to handle myself.

R

Richard

It is true that these fellows will ask for upwards of twenty dollars but as PT Barnum once said, "there's a sucker born every minute" and he was a man everyone admires, a rags to riches story. If they ask for a large fee and the tourist pays, well then he is ahead as PT Barnum was ahead, if the tourist say's NO then he gets what he can get. I see nothing wrong with paying them $5. bucks to carry a couple bags of possibly heavy luggage. Comparing them to the porters here in the states is not fair. Here the starting salary for a porter is about $7.50 an hour, that?s $300. + OT plus another $125. - $250 in tips that are un-taxed income.

When you travel to the DR the idea is to have a vacation and relax, let a porter carry your bag and give him $5. it will not break you, I am sure you spend more than that on one drink in a club here with out worrying about it. He is not there working in that heat because it is a job he loves, realize he needs to feed his family. Do not stay in a compound resort, go into the poorer areas of Puerto Plata and see how this porter lives then maybe you will understand the aggressiveness to carry luggage.

Richard

T

Tom

Richard

I'm not sure who you are replying to, but no one is begrudging paying a few bucks a bag. I'm happy to have someone pick up mine, especially when they are 70 plus # of supplies.

It was the question of the porters "demanding" $20.00 from tourists that prompted concern

Tom

R

Richard

Hi Tom, long time since we last spoke. My reply was in general not really directed to anyone particular. How have you been?

Richard