Are there any libraries or book clubs between expats

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
ebooks are great

I have literally 100's of ebooks which I read on a handheld computer. They are easy to download and unfortunately for the authors are also free. (i.e.pirated)

Also unfortunately for the authors I would be glad to share them, let me know what you are interested in and I will see if I can send you some zip files, or show you how to download your own.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Oh dont go all technical on me Mike, make it easy Im not completely computer literate yet. Are you the same Mike with the water purifer? I like drama, pretty much everything except scifi westerns, political and anything too heavy.
Sami Im coming to hills in Sosua ( in 2 weeks )5 mins from POP airport.
Barby

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Barby,
When you come Puerto Plata way, give us a call & come see our books. "She who must be Obeyed" has a store in her office which she allows to be "Swopped" every so often!! - Grahame.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Grahame whats your no? Id love to meet you and swop books, I'll bring some with me. How long have you been there?
Barby (married to one that pretends hes married to she who must be obeyed) Barby

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Barby, I have not married her but she is DEFINATELY the original "S.W.M.B.O" (after the one in the TV series of course!!) - just ask anyone who has met her!!! I quake in my shoes for fear of upsetting her - something I seem to do reasonably regularly. Thank goodness I have a hard skin & don't bruise easily!!

BushBaby because I was going for something easy to remember & "BushTelagraph" & "BushFire" had been taken by the time I signed on with ICQ etc!! Anyway, I do have big, blue, appealing eyes & look adorable!!! Got no hair on TOP of the head agreed, but most other elements are in good working order!! - Grahame.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
helen kellog library

...in santo domingo - hundreds of books in english.

is, or was located at the back of the episcopalian church on avenida independencia. just before milagros ortiz bosch's place.

you don't have to be a 'proddy' to borrow books, but you have to become a member (of the library, not the church).
there is a good selection of books (plus reference books).
it was possible to scrounge a cup of coffee, plus some of the old biddies used to make and sell home made marmalades, chutnies, etc. in the library as a side-line.
you just drive into the church car park and it is one of the sites at the back.

not sure if it is still going - it was run by volunteers and most of the ones i knew have either returned to their own countries or pegged it.

it's not much help if you are in sosua/pop, but others might find the information useful.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Helen Kellogg Library

Yes, it's still going and I thoroughly recommend it. They hold a book sale first Saturday morning of every month too, with all books at RD$10. Can't be bad!

I don't think they would take too kindly to your 'old biddies' label, boch.

Chiri

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
ecandido said:
Oh dont go all technical on me Mike, make it easy Im not completely computer literate yet. Are you the same Mike with the water purifer? I like drama, pretty much everything except scifi westerns, political and anything too heavy.
Sami Im coming to hills in Sosua ( in 2 weeks )5 mins from POP airport.
Barby
Kens wife Barbara has started a book exchange at the pool house in El Neptuno. Don't know if it is available to outsiders but I would be happy to swap books anytime in Sosua. I read basically the NY Times bestseller list with exceptions.

Scott

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Dominico-Americano on Estrella Sadhala

has a pertty fair selection.

there are some books in English at Cuesta.

I have a lot of books that I'll swap or lend...

HB

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Re: The Dominico-Americano on Estrella Sadhala

[Hillbilly,
Thanks for the reply. Will contact you when i visit. Have a home there but only visit a few times a year. Still working.
r
JLW919