Blackouts, Motoconchos, Mosquitos, Bullets- DR Here I Come!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
In the near future I will be moving back to the DR after 30 years of living in the good old US of A. I will be moving there with an open mind and a good head on my shoulder. My mom made the secrifice to bring my seven brothers and siters to the US to give us a better life(it helped alot that her father was from Puerto Rico, so she was an american citizen). And a much better life she gave us. I kept in mind that we were not poor over there, we had our share of maids and we were always nicely dressed and food was on the table 3 times a day. But in those days a female was a second citizen in the DR(late '60's), and since my father had the mentality that he was the bread winner and that he could have as many women as he wanted, he was dumped by mom without hesitation. Dad is still a nice person but we needed more than just a nice person and 3 meals a day. We also needed love. Basically, dad forgot about his 8 kids and mom decided to dedicate her life to raising all of us by herself. The result: 8 wonderful, thoughful, well educated, down to earth kids. Not perfect, but never into any trouble. Dad is still the same. Happy with his younger wife and his 2 kids but without the love of his first 8 kids. Before you say that the last statement is cold, let me put it to you this way: all of us are still waiting to my dad's first christmas or birthday card, or even the first phone call. We do see him when we visit the DR and I call him often and I even send him $200. 00 dollars a month, not because I want, but because if my mom forgave him, so can I. When mom passed away in '94, she left peacefully because all of us rewarded her with the best things imaginable. We lived our lives to make Mom happy, and as she used to say: "I am happy every day 24/7 because my kids are my pride and joy, Lord, thanks for halping me make them 'hombres y mujeres de bien""
Since I've been to the DR about 75 times in 30 years, there's nothing that any dominican or tourists can tell me that I have not seen it personally. There's no way in hell that I will go live in the DR and not know full well that there are motoconcho making noise, mosquitos that will drive you nuts, pollution, robberies, assaults, bulletts flying, some dirty streets, people trying to take advantage of you, crime, blackouts every day, water in short supply, high prices on food. We are humans and we need to know that if you are moving to a new country, plan it way ahead of time and go and spend time at that country, and I don't mean to just go to the tourists attraction places, been there, done that. Familiarized yourself with the culture and it's people. Dont's tell me that you did not liked the country because you were there for 2 months and spent 5,000 pesos. When I move to the DR I will also have in mind that it's a country where you can count on some people, that people are happy, always happy even if they have no food on the table. Always willing to give you a hand, maybe hoping for you to give them some money, but at least they will help you, you see that if you visit a poor person, they WILL offer you something to eat or drink even if they have to run to the colmado and get it "fiao", you will see a "limpiabotas" (shoeshiner) boy dancing and singing while asking you if you need a shoeshine, you will see people gather together when they see you because they truly enjoy your company and care about you and not only for your money, where can you get a maid and pay her 3,000 miserable pesos a month (less than 100.00 US). I know that it's hard for a dominican but since I came here 30 years ago for a better my life and my life is better, then I will move to a place that there are not many motoconchos, I will move to and live quietly in a farm or a gated estate. If I don't want to see crime and bullets flying all over the place, then I will not move to a barrio, I will go to a well-to-do neighborhood. If I want water all the time, then I will buy a water pump. If I want light all the time, I will buy an inverter. There are mosquitos and insects, then I will get a mosquito and insect repeler(?). People trying to take advantage od me?, I am way too smart to let anybody do that to me. Robberies and assalts are a common thing all over the world but let me tell you that I have never heard a buttlet being shot or a person been beaten, but then again, when I go to the DR I usually do not stay in a barrio. And even when I go visit my friends in the barrios, their barrios are pretty nice. I am not going to close my eyes and think that crime in not a way of living in some third world countries, it happens everywhere. Who can tell me that Jerome and Burnside Streets in the Bronx aren't worse than any barrio in the DR?, there they will kill you just to hear the noise that you make when you fall. Where in the US can you buy plate of "arroz, carne, ensalada, habichuela and a soda" for $45 pesos (yes, I sent a friend to a cafeteria this September to buy food and he spent $45 pesos on the latter, about US $ 1.25). If someone is moving to the DR and is planning to rent and go to work over there, it will be harder, but it can be done, but in many cases, those people will return and complain about the country in general. In my case, I know that I will only return to the USA to visit my loved ones. One need to take chances and be aggresive when it comes to bussines. Dont's complain to me saying that you did not make it because everything is high, tell me that you did not make it because you took 50-75,000 US and just lived the good life, drinking with your buddies and visiting a resort every week with a whole bunch on hanger-on- that you have to pay their way. If you go to live there, gert rid of the mentality that you will be on an everyday vacation. Before moving, one needs a plan. Visit, go see a financial advisor and let him tell you on what you can invest your money. Talk to your friends, ask them about business projects. It took me 3 years of visiting and talking to people to come up with my plan. I got help from everywhere, finnancial planners, lawyers, banks, friends, non-friends and even an old man that befriended me on the streets and now is a friend to me ( and yes, he is poor and has a motoconcho). There is no way that I will move over there with only $ 75,000 in the bank. It takes much more than that. It helps also that I own 1 home and co-own a vacation home in Cabarete, and that I have will be opening a few businesses over there soon. It takes time but if you plan it well, all will be fine in the long run, supposing that one has an open mind and to know that you will not have the same life that you had in the US, but it can be a much better life.
I see a lot of posts here from people trying to discorage those that want to move to the DR even though some live there and are taking advantage of what the DR can offer and from some that moved there without a plan and money and now are talking thrash about the country. To those I can only say: you live there and is taking advantage of what the DR can offer but still don't like the country?, then get the hell out. You used to be there but had to leave because it became too hard for you and everything was high and you ran out of money?, next time plan it well ahead of time and try and take more than $ 10.00 with you because there's nothing wrong with the country, something is wrong with you because you did not plan it well. My uncle moved back to the DR about 15 years ago and he has not come back crying wolf and I do believe that the prices on everything have gone up for him too. The difference is that he planned ahead of time and put his money to work. Just because you visit the DR once in a while does not make you a DR expert, it makes youn an observer.
Live there for 20 years and then I will take your opinion to heart because at least you will show me that you found a way to live there with all the adversities. Don't tell me that the country is going to hell when you only lived there for a few years and you left when the going got tough. If you are a Dominican basher and you live there, whether you are dominican or a foreighner, get the hell out and let people like me and my investors friends go and make something good in the DR.
Motoconchos, noises, bulletts, pollution, crime, assaults, robberies, no water, blackouts, mosquitos, dirty streets and some other thousand other things, with all that said, HERE I COME. I can not wait. She would have been prouder!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2002
I too am one of 8 kids who were bought up by mom on her own, so I can relate well to the beginning of your post. As for the rest, I enjoyed reading it, and I have no doubts that you will be well able to cope with anything that comes your way once you get there. You've obviously been planning for a long time. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Your mom would be proud of you.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Fantastic post Miguel!
Are you moving there as a single man? I am looking for a good Dominican man like yourself to enjoy your beautiful country with. :)
I get tired of the ex-pats complaining about the inconviences of the island. If they want the same culture and things that thier home countries offer then they should go back to where they came from as you said.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
ecandido said:
Miguel, I am so glad to have read your message, your mother must have been very special to have made you as you are.
Barby.
She was a very special person. I have had the good pleasure and fortune to have known 2 great weomen in my lifetime, my mom and a LADY by the name of Elena, a very poor lady that was our live-in maid when my mom came to the States. She used to go out of her ways to make us happy. She did 90% of things that were not on her job description. She is an Angel and since mom is not here any more, I try to repay Titi Elena with anything I can. Every time that I go to DR, I go from aiport straight to her house just to say hello and spend time with her. I pamper her to no end and I show her that I am very grateful for all she did for us for 6 years.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
dulce said:
Fantastic post Miguel!
Are you moving there as a single man? I am looking for a good Dominican man like yourself to enjoy your beautiful country with. :)
I get tired of the ex-pats complaining about the inconviences of the island. If they want the same culture and things that thier home countries offer then they should go back to where they came from as you said.
Thanks Dulce, I am flattered. As of now, not going as a single man. Where were you 5 months ago??. hehe. I do agree with all you say that I said. Gracias

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
say

Miguel,
Congradulations on your impending return home!That's got to be a great feeling after 30 years abroad.

later!
Cral

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Miguel

I think you should consider seeing a psychiatrist. Good luck with your move though.

Larry

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
ecandido said:
Is Elena still young enough to want work?, I will be looking for someone soon to help me near Sosua? Barby
Sorry Barby, she is old and now I take care of her. She does not need to work anymore. Thanks anyways.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Re: Miguel

Larry (ILoveDR) said:
I think you should consider seeing a psychiatrist. Good luck with your move though.

Larry
Can you give me the name of your psychiatrist, Larry the boob. And as someone very smart once said : don't be jealous, bit..

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Miguel, I am sure your return ?home? will be successful and gratifying one. You are so right about having a plan. I know that most of the problems that I have encountered in my life have been the result of a poorly thought out plan, or just rushing into things with no plan, or concept at all. I wish you the best of luck with your journey home!
John

Starz_in_my_eye

Nov 29, 2003
Wow Miguel

That was deep. It really touched my heart. I just returned home(to the Bronx) from vacation in Puerto Plata. Of course I fell in love with the country and immediatly thought of working twards making it my home. Wanting to leave the misery of the Bronx behind. The people as you say are the most happiest, helpful souls you would ever want to meet. I loved everyday that I was there and actually cried when I left.

Unfortunately I did not spend too much time outside of the resort. I intend on going back, and after reading your post I feel compelled to get out and learn the culture and the people. I am ashamed because I am black and puerto rican (more so black) and have never showed and interest in speaking spanish until now.

Hopefully we can communicate via email and when I do make my way to DR, you might be available to share a little knowledge to your fellow Bronxite and perhaphs extend your hospitality by introducing me (and my friends and family) to your country..

Good Luck on you move!

Coqui

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Come on Janie

Jan said:
Can't wait til we're neighbors!!
Janie, darling, can you imagine all the presidentes that we would have. Just like the last time I saw you. And don't forget to bring mamita.

PS: by the way, I never thanked you for making me feel so at ease when I visited you. Thanks.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Re: Miguel

sancochojoe said:
Miguel,

did you say exactly where in DR you will or want to live, or you are not sure yet?
Not sure yet. I have a few options; I co-own a home with my brother in Cabarete but all my friends and some family are in the capital, there's the house that I bought for my mom in the capital, and I am thinking about buying some land lots in a few campos. I am really thinking about the capital, though, because most of my businesses will be there. But I Loooooooove the quiet life of the campo. I am thinking about buying a house in El naco, in the capital. I stayed there on my last trip and I truly love most of it.

Last edited: