Air Ambulance to the US

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Being offered as information that may be of interest to someone else some day.

Kathy Neal, a friend in Sosua, became ill recently and was hospitalized in Puerto Plata. However, her conditioned worsened and it was obvious she needed more help than she could get in Puerto Plata. Evacuation to either Santo Domingo or Florida were considered, with the latter being the final choice. The company selected was Air Ambulance Professionals of Ft. Lauderdale. There are a number of companies providing this service, but this is the only one offering a complete ICU/CCU. http://www.airambulanceprof.com/

She was taken by ambulance from the POP hospital to the airport and put aboard the plane. Upon arrival in Ft. Lauderdale, she was taken by ambulance to the hospital there and place in the CCU.

Since I thought some specifics on the service might be of interest, I asked the company for some details: "We are a 24 hour 7 day a week service we can always be reached by calling
collect 954.491.0555. The cost of a transport from Dominican Republic to
South Florida is $9900.00 and that will include a ICU/CCU equipped Lear jet,
Critical Care Nurse and Paramedic with both the ground ambulances.

"We are pleased to announce that we are in our 15th year of buisness as an
owner/operator not a broker. If a hospital is needed we can assist in making
those arrangements.

"If a patient needs to be transported outside of Florida we can also do
those transports as well. We are a worldwide service."

The cost includes a companion of the patient making the flight. As I understand it, the health insurance company is paying at least part of the cost of the flight.

Hopefully, none of us will ever need this service. But there are no guarantees. For that reason, I thought this might be of interest.

S

Stephen

On this same matter.........

.............I and at least 2 more of the people that I know in POP have an insurance policy for this. Our policies were about $700. for 5 years.

You might want to look at it. I don't know exactly how it compares.

www.skymed.com

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Theres hope for me yet then Ken, thats an encouraging price, do any US hosps give free emergency care with this medivac. We have free health care in UK but the last I heard a couple of years ago was the cost of evac like this to UK was around $68,000. Barby

Harmony

Apr 18, 2002
Air Ambulance Service

Visitors might want to become member of Divers Alert Network. It cost's $29 Individual $44 Family per year. Membership includes TravelAssist air evacuation if you travel at least 50 miles from home. Has a total of $100,000 coverage.

Membership has other services but medical evac is why I am a member. It applies to any diving or non-diving medical emergency.

Harmony

www.DiversAlertNetwork.org

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Insurance for air vac isn't a bad idea. Especially true since if you need air vac services, it is safe to assume that you will have a huge hospital bill on top of it all after you arrive.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ecandido said:
do any US hosps give free emergency care with this medivac.

That is very questionable. For good care, Santo Domingo hospitals would be your best bet. Cost is modest compared to US.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well I know one guy that is alive and well because of a timely air evac

Of course he had outstanding health insurance.

I would suppose that if you are covered by a US / Foreign insurance Co. it would be wise to have an air evac clause in your policy.

Someone told me that there are no longer any foreign insurance coverage for the DR. I do not know if this is true or not..

For folks like me and mine we will depend on local stuff to get well....just a fact of life....

HB

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I have no desire to return to USA for medical attention.
But what bothers me here is that I don't know anything about insurance here . Then if I get really sick and can't understand spanish well enough what will happen to me?
Can I get imnsurance here for a pre existing condition? Where do I look for some good insurance that will cover a good back operation?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jan, getting insurance that will cover preexisting conditions is really tough, if not impossible. All the companies I have ever checked out excluded them.

Health insurance has been discussed a number of times on the board, with names of companies, both Dominican and international mentioned. Check the archives for health insurance or medical insurance.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
What I wouldn't give for good medical insurance right now-

including medivac. Had a great ride in the helicopter from my hometown to the nearest cardiac care center! The paramedics were great. That said I can't buy insurance for my "homecoming" this week because an MI automatically excludes you from coverage. So I too will either depend on Santo Domingo "care" (altho' I've already met a very good cardiologist in San Pedro, the "facilities" are a little sparse!) or I will pay the cost to be flown home.
Thanks for the number Ken......Hoping I won't need it!
By the way....hubby is a divemaster and has the DiversAlert coverage however it will not cover anything "heart" related for me as it is a pre-existing condition (yeah they want me to stay home while he has all the fun!!!).
Can't wait to get there.......

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
MommC, if you would like, I can send you a PM with the name, etc., of an excellent, English-speaking cardiologist in Santo Domingo. He is with Clinica Abreau. He did his training in England. He and his father are both cardiologist; the elder is probably the premier cardiologist in the country.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And believe it or not

Criss Colon knows a few cardiologists, too....

Drop him a line..

HB, hoping to see you soon..