Reusing Cooking Oil Linked to High Blood Pressure

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Saw an interesting article reporting on a study that found that reusing cooking oil causes high blood pressure http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/home/research-detail.cfm?reutersid=4046&nl=4

The DR connection for this is the fact that reuisng cooking oil is very, very common in the DR. Ever walked about those food vendors on the street and seem them cooking all sorts of foods in a kettle of hot fat. No way to know how long that fat has been used. I would assume this practice also common in many Dominican homes.

High blood pressure is a problem among Dominicans. Very possibly this is a contributing factor.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
cooking oils and health

here is what I know,

Most fast food joints use what would be considered "High tempiture" cooking oils, this is oils that require a high tempitur to vaporize and become flamable.

These same oils seem to contribute to the creation of "Trans Fatty Acids", not directly, just by vitue of the fact that the tempiturs during cooking are higher.

Olive oil has been known to have positive effects.

Use of Other low tempiture oils and the avoidance of products cooked in high tempitures is benificial. The fact that the article states that the oil "loses" it's benificial properties after a while might (as the article states) be due to the build op of toxins in the oil.

Use of Iron pans should also be avoided, excess Iron in the diet leads to high blood pressure also.

-Lee

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
How interesting! I read that article also Ken

as I get the heartcenter newletter. Not a problem for me as I'm no longer allowed ANY fats/oils however I never had high blood pressure either. It would be interesting to do a study with Dominicans who have high BP by eliminating the "used" oil/fat and seeing what effect it had on thier BP.

Also as Lee sorta says......high iron content in the blood is a risk indicator for heart attack (too bad my previous family Doc didn't have that research finding all those years my blood tested "higher than most males" for iron. I mighta' had a warning!!)