Past due Condominium dues

POPLady

Dec 30, 2003
I am the administartor of a Condominium building with 8 units. We have one owner who has not paid their 2nd half of the year dues. I have spoken to 4 owners as of today's date (including myself), and all agree that we need to take some kind of legal action. Can someone assist me with the proper requirements for serving notice on the deliquent owner, and the proper way to write the minutes. Do I need to have all owners agree or not in order to put a lien against them. At present all of the owners except one are of the country. Thank you in advance.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What do your condo rules say about payment of fees, etc?

What do your condo rules say are the responsibilities of the administrator with respect to representing the association in legal matters, and about putting a lien on property?

Is the delinquent owner foreign or Dominican?

I have great sympathy for you. Our condo association (El Neptuno in Sosua) recently went through this with a very delinquent Dominican owner.

You are going to need legal help. Does your condo have an attorney? A good man to talk with is Fabio Guzman, the attorney who answers questions in this section. His firm is very experienced in matters of this nature. I'm sure he will soon respond to your question, but you can also email him at info@drlawyer.com His website is http://www.drlawyer.com/index.htm The link that I gave you in another thread to the translated condo law is also to his website.

POPLady

Dec 30, 2003
Ken,

Thanks for all the info. I have written an email to Mr. Guzman and hope he does speak English.

A Happy and a Healthy new Year to you.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Fabio Guzman speaks excellent English. He spent his high school years in Canada and got his college degree from MIT in the US. Most of his clients are English speaking.

POPLady

Dec 30, 2003
Thank you for the information Mr. Guzman. Unfortunately, all the owners are either Canadian and/or American for the exception of one. Therefore it has been impossible to call a meeting as none of the owners are either willing and/or able to come at the same time. Do you have any other suggestions? I have 4 owenrs (including myself) wjo have verbally agreed through telephone conversations, but before I go any further I do need advice from you.

Again, many thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Since you have already made contact with Fabio, you should see him as soon as possible. This is a tricky matter and if you start flying off on your own, you are very likely to jeopardize your case.

As far as the owners not being available at one time, it is possible under the condo law for each owner to have a proxy who votes for that person. When we have our condo meetings, there are often several proxy voters. There is a procedure for designating a proxy voter, but this is something Fabio can advise you on.

But do so Fabio as soon as possible before you inadvertently mess up what is otherwise a winable case.