Safe place to stay?

bananaspasm

Dec 25, 2003
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if Malecon or Avenida Indepencia in Santo Domingo are suitabel, or safe, places for a female student to rent an apartment for a few months. I am thinking about renting an apartment there but I will not be able to see the place before I make a commitment, Anyone have any advice. It would be much appreciated. Thanks

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The area you speak of is relatively safe.

bananaspasm said:
I am thinking about renting an apartment there but I will not be able to see the place before I make a commitment

I strongly recommend you not make a commitment on an apartment site unseen. Buyer beware, you will be promised anything to separate you from your money here. You may think you are commiting to a Boardwalk (Monopoly) location when you are only getting Baltic Ave. Look then commit. Regards, PJT

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
I wouldnt' rent sight unseen. If you have addresses of apartments you are interested in, if you know someone you trust in the DR, have them look at them for you. You should be able to get a comparable deal on a modest hotel/guesthouse room for an extended period of time and that could be a better option in your case. If you state what you are willing to spend for a month of lodging and where you will be studying, I am sure someone on this board could give you solid advice on some type of housing that is close and meets your budget.
dale7(Howard)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A few questions

1) Student?? Where?
2) Why rent an apartment?
3) Why Santo Domingo?

Too many options available to get involved in something sight unseen. NOT a good thing to do here.

HB

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
If you need the name of a cheep little place. It doesn't have a stove but its in Zona Colonial. Nice rooms. American run. Let me nkow. I'll email you the address and numbers. I've put a few people in there and they were happy with the place.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
There are places on both Av. Independencia and the Malecon that would probably be very suitable. There are other areas that might be completely unsuitable. Both streets cover quite a distance and quite a variety of conditions.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
If they're trying to get you to commit before you even see the place, then its quite possibly a scam.

Also, if you're asking this question here, you probably haven't spent much time in the DR.

People here use the 'scorched earth policy' for business - anytime they do business, they scorch the earth behind them, leaving no relationship. Its happened to me (and everyone else here) many times.

Get a hotel for a couple of days when you get here, then find a place. It'll be easy.

In fact, I'd suggest you be very wary dealing with the people trying to get you to sign quickly. There are honest people in the DR. You just have to be careful.

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
Jan I would like to know the address of this place in zona colonial, please can you send it to me by PM?

regarding the question, as other said, don't rent that before see it! You can stay in a hotel few days and see it before rent.

the independencia and the malecon are very long (km...), with safe zones and dangerous zones, if you tell us exactly where we can try to advise

regards

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Santo Domingo

I spent 18 years of my life in Santo Domingo visiting and living in many places. First than every thing as was asking Mr. Hillbilly
where exactly in Santo Domingo name of the hood, where are you going to study, how long are you going to school in DR,

My personal advice stay a few days in one Hotel in Santo Domingo untill you find some thing that you like or convinient for you. you better looking for a different place. When some thing is going to happen, happen any where at any time but Santo Domingo is for people able like Rambo.

Dangeurous have gold on your neck, the guys can tell you about what happen to a guy his first day in Santo Domingo.

Why not Santiago, La vega? amazing places for be living and study.

Good luck

Homer Simpson

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Many"Rooms For Rent" advertised daily in the newspapers

Some are in the area you talked about.Most houses there are nice.Just people who have a room.Most only rent to single female students.Check that out! Cris Colon

laura h

Oct 1, 2003
ok now you've all worried me. i was looking to rent a place near plaza turisol (ive asked about this place before) and have been told that its a nice safe area - by someone other than the owner. i havent seen it (no photos - but then whos to say that photos would be legit anyway) but it sounded nice (nieve maybe?!) any comments - i really didnt want to come over without somewhere "concrete" to stay !