captain cooks or jellyfish

lorimark

Nov 20, 2003
I have heard alot about captain cooks restaurant in punta cana, good food but way over priced, not worth it. Is this true?if my husband and i spend the money will we be sorry. Also, I have heard a little bit about the Jelly fish, would this be a better choice of restaurant? We are looking for somthing a bit authentic and memorable. We are stying at the Iberostar Bavaro, is the jelly fish close to this resort?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Captain Cook's does have good food and is somewhat overpriced but will not break the budget. You have to consider the restaurant is marketing itself to the tourist in a tourist area and you can figure out the rest. It is quite popular and appears to have the right formula of operation because there is almost always a full house.

Jellyfish is a recent construction and newcomer to the area, it abuts the east side of the Melia Tropical/Caribe resort. It is about 6 mi. from the Iberostar Bavaro and 1 mi. from Capt.Cook's. I have not tried it out and therefore will not hazard a review. I have noticed a beach side signboard listing a lobster meal for $US 34.

Regards, PJT

lorimark

Nov 20, 2003
thank you

Thanks, I have heard that we can have a great seafood meal for40$ us /person, I have spent more on on much less, so we will give it a go!

woohooboo

Nov 8, 2003
I have been to punta cana for the last 2 years, not extremely familiar with the area, but I know what I like and like what I know, I have posted a pics of the Jelly unfortunatly not of Captain cooks because,well I havent eaten there. I honestly feel like I have found my home away from home at the Jellyfish. It is because of this restaurant that I will continue to travel to the D.R. for at least my next two vacations June 2004 and Dec 2004. If you would like to contact me DaveReport@msn.com and I would be more than happy to elaborate.
Either way, I'm sure you will enjoy your stay in Punta Cana, it is by far the nicest beach in the Carribean.
Brenda
Webshots albums
http://community.webshots.com/user/davereport

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I acknowledged this morning I had nothing better to do, figured it was best to take a walk along the beach to work off the hangover from last night?s over indulgences and obtain information on the restaurants.

I went to Capitan Cook and requested a menu for take out. Of course, they did not have a takeout menu, only a brochure, and of course they could not find the brochure. They showed me the posted menu next to the cooking pit.

I stopped at Jellyfish on my return. Of course they did not have a takeout menu. I was given the sit down menu. It listed four multiple course meals, ranging from 400 Pesos to 675 Pesos. Children?s meals averaged about 150 Pesos.

Comments

If you want a greater selection of food offerings, Captain Cook is a better choice; they have at least 20 menu selections vs. the four of Jellyfish.

Price: Both Restaurants average the same.

Ambiance: Captain Cook is informal, in the rough, plastic chairs with picnic type tables right on the beach. The tables are numbered; you cannot identify the players without a number. Thatch umbrellas and overhead screening is the only protection. There is an enclosed bar and eating area over the kitchen and offices. It located in El Cortecito, various shops, stores, and accommodations are within steps of the restaurant. Restaurant parking is available across the street next to the Amalia Supermarket.

Jellyfish is semi-enclosed building set back about 200 feet from the high water mark. It has weather curtains to keep out the rain/wind when necessary. The eating area is over wooden floors. The tables and chairs are of the bamboo type construction. It is a bit more formal than Captain Cook?s. The access to the restaurant is by car, or by foot from the beach. It is sandwiched between the Melia Tropical/Caribe and Barcelo?s Villas Bavaro Resort. Restaurant parking is available next to the restaurant. Jellyfish Ph. 868-3040, 307-0743 and email jellyfishbavaro@hotmail.com.

Regards, PJT

lorimark

Nov 20, 2003
thanks!

You have been more then helpful, I hope you had a great New Years!(it's -25celius this morning, so looking forward to the warm weather!) Do you know if yu would be able to take a taxi to the Jelly Fish or Captain cooks and then walk to the Mangu Disco? Stay warm and have fun!
Lori and Mark

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Re: thanks!

lorimark said:
Do you know if yu would be able to take a taxi to the Jelly Fish or Captain cooks and then walk to the Mangu Disco?

Unless you like walking, it is wise to take public transportation from the restaurants to go to Mangu. You easily can get a taxi, bus, or motoconcho from the entrance of El Cortecito, a short walk from Captain Cook's.

Jellyfish offers a slight challenge because it is set back on the end of a gated private road about 1200 meters from the main road. You do have options, have your taxi driver to return at a set time, ask Jellyfish to call you a taxi, walk if you dare to the bus stop at the Jellyfish entrance on the main road and catch a guagua (bus @ 10 Pesos) headed to Plaza Bavaro. Mangu is a short walk from the plaza area bus stop.

Regards, PJT

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Could be they have changed their menu or have different menu for the time of day, lunch and dinner. Regards, PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Re: Jellyfish menu

woohooboo said:
I'm not sure which menu you saw, but I'm confused I was just there a couple of weeks ago and actually took pics of the menu. I was so impressed with the quality, quantity, and prices, I could not believe the value
This is the Main course menu

http://community.webshots.com/photo/104840756/104968913uWWNzJ

I have subsequently found out, the Jellyfish menu listing 4 multiple course meals was a special menu for News Years Day only. Jellyfish has about 15 main course specialties, mostly fish.

Also, Mrs PJT and I did dine at Jellyfish just so PJT can have a better hand at judging the qualities of Jellyfish and Capt. Cook. We both agree at this time that Captain Cook has a more diverse menu selection, fresher food, and quicker service.

Regards, PJT

Last edited:

lorimark

Nov 20, 2003
wonderful!

Thank you, what you told me in a few words told me more then all the other messages put together.(My husband and I now know where we will dine). Again thank you! I am sure we will have an awesome time no matter where we dine:)\
Lori and Mark