Police more active

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Is it me or have the police been more active in shaking down people for bribes.
My last 2 times down here I have gotten pulled over twice for no seatbelt. The first time we "negotiated" a 500 peso multa on the spot.

The second time there were 2 guys on scooters demanding 1200 pesos. I had 2 friends and 3 kids in the car. I told them 500 pesos was doable, but 1200 no way. I even joked about it being christmas time, hence the increase.

They took my license and demanded that I follow them to some place to pay the 1200 and watch a 2 hour video tape. . . .he he he he.

While following them we passed the location fo where the embassy used to be. I stopped and chatted with some guards and asked where the new embassy was. We then switched drivers and drove towards the new embassy.

The cops would not come near us when we were stopped outside the old place. Once we started driving, they pulled us over again. We said we were going to the embassy. They were mad and asked why.

I told them my novia called and said it was not normal to have to follow motos to a police station, and usually they just write a ticket to pay later. I said I was in a foreign land and was nervous. I said I wanted to ask my embassy if this was normal procedure. . . . .he he he he.

They were PISSED and said OK just give us 500 pesos. DUMMIES. Now I know they are on the ropes and I say no. I say follow us to the embassy and if they say I need to pay 500 pesos I will gladly do so. If they say I need to pay 2000 pesos I will gladly do so. I say if they tell me thet I should not be paying "fines" to cops on scooters, I won't.

They tried to scare me by saying they have my license etc. I said, no problem. Keep it. It actually expired a few days prior!!! My buddy took out his digital camera to take a few photos and they dropped the license in my lap and said have a nice day!

Dummies could have had 500 pesos, but decided to follow us around for 45 minutes to get nothing.

Moral of the story. Act nervous, tell them you are driving to your embassy, and always carry a digital camera. he he he he

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Hehehehe

That was funny.

If the police are going to ticket drivers for not wearing seat belts, why dont they ticket the carito cabs. I've been in cars that were so loaded that they could barely move.

I wonder what would happen if a foreigner refused to pay, would they actually arrest you?

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
you are very wise! hahaha

the thing is if they are going to pull you for things like that - what about the cars with a door missing, and nearly every car i have had a lift in has had a 2 foot long crack in the windscreen (held with cellotape)

it sounds like someone wanted some money for a couple of presidentes! haha

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
that made your trip

Rafeal I bet you will come down next time jsut to see if you could get pulled over. Then make a funniest vacation videos lol
John

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Here in SD, I have developed a theory. After sitting through numerous stop lights watching dozens of violations between every change of the light, all the while police are heckling drivers who obey the law and drive sensibly, I think I have it.

When you feel threatened by the police, all you have to do is break the law and they will leave you alone. Note that the more onerous your violation, the less likely they are to bother you.

With tongue in cheek,
lhtown

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
"Sorry, I have just started working for the embassy, let me give them a call and see what I need to do, hold on....."

I might just use that line :)

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Embassy Staff

Robert.....Like that excuse too!!!!!!!... does anyone have maps of various Gringo looking Embassies....So I can a least drive in the general direction of my....Employment...Cheers.M.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I just got back from driving around and I got stopped yet again! Crossing Lincoln on Bolivar the light was green but there were still some cars stopped. I stopped for a sec, saw the light was green and after another guy made a left I crossed Lincoln.

So. . . . .later on while on Churchill heading north another cop on a moped pulls me over. He says I passed a red light on lincoln and bolivar. I laughed, because I was 1,000 percent positive it was green. I also had 2 witnesses.

He tells me, no it was red and now you need to follow me to pay a fine. I swear one day I will follow just to see where they want to take me! I say, I'm not following you, the light was green. He pulls his helmet to the side so he can hear better, and angrily asked me what I said.

I said, I'm not paying a centavo the light was green. I said follow me to my embassy, and he left.

I think Robert's approach is a good one. Next time I will pull out my cell and act as though I am calling my "job" at the consulate.

My buddy usually carrys a PBA card down here. They salute him and let him go!