Restaurant suggestions in Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

anginmichigan

Dec 29, 2003
Can someone please suggest restaurants in Cabarate. My family is staying at a Condo there in Feb, and it is not AI, so lots of suggestions would be greatly welcome!!
Also suggestions on where to exchange money at would be greatly appreciated!!!

beano

Oct 29, 2003
There are a multitude of good restaurants in Cabarete, depending on what you are looking for. There is a pizza place on the beach, Irish pub, seafood, dominican fare, etc. One of my favorite places to eat, which is across the street from the beach is Sandro's Cafe, a dominican cafe. It's very reasonably priced, and gives generous servings.

anginmichigan

Dec 29, 2003
Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions!! I was also wondering if anyone recommends any excursions?
Also, I am interested in seeing some waterfalls, can someone give suggestions on this?

Thank you!

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
There are plenty of restaurants right along the beach where you can eat inside or on the beach. Stroll along the beach strip and look at the menus that will be posted in front of each restuarant and decide what you would like. They are all pretty good.

I'm not sure how it is currently, but Cabarete had lots of cambios on the main street to exchange money, plus banks. All are located very close to each other on the main street and usually post their rates. Just don't try to exchange money with individuals "on the street" who offer good exchange, You will probably get ripped off.

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
We just got back from Cabarete on Saturday. We mostly did what people here have suggested, wander around and look at menus.

One place I would highly recommend is the Tropicoco. It is located within walking distance of the main drag of Cabarete on the Sosua side. It is right on the main street and right next to the Hotel Caracol. This was the closest restaurant to where we rented our villa (Olas de Oros) and we ate there several times.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much (hotel restaurant kind of thing) but WOW!!!!! The shrimps in cream sauce was positively orgasmic. A popular choice with my non-seafood eating husband and friends was the chicken cordon bleu.

An inexpensive place to check out in Cabarete on the main street is the Chinese restaurant (I know, I know, but my husband loves Chinese food). It is very inexpensive and quality and portion sizes are comparable to North American standards. I think they also do take out.

We also enjoyed the pizzas at Lax. I had the seafood pizza, and others tried the "diablo" and the Hawaiian. They were all very good.

There is also a French lady who owns a place called (I think) Croissanterie de Paris. We would buy half a dozen plain and half a dozen chocolate and munch on those for breakfast.

There are also several grocery stores where you can buy pretty much the same things that you can back home (sliced meats, cheese, bread etc.)

We found that each of the Cambios gave pretty much the same exchange rates, though it may be worth your while to take a stroll and see what their posted rates are each day.

Where are you renting your condo?

Rose

anginmichigan

Dec 29, 2003
Thanks Rose!

Thanks for all the great info Rose. We're staying @ The Palm Beach Condos. Do you remember seeing these while you were there? any other suggestions on things to do?

Thanks again, Happy New Year!!

Andrea

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
We're staying @ The Palm Beach Condos. Do you remember seeing these while you were there? any other suggestions on things to do?

As a matter of fact, I do remember seeing them. They look LOVELY and I made a point of noting the name for future reference. They are actually right next door to where we stayed in February (the Tropical Beach). It's a great location and I'm sure you'll be very happy there.

Since you will be there in February, one thing I STRONGLY recommend you do is the whale watching in Samana. We did that last February. I believe the best company to go with is Coco Tours (?). Check with Ken about that, or do a search on "whale watching". There are little "outlets" along the street where you can book your tour.

They offer dramamine to people at the start and I suggest that you take it. A lot of people on our trip got sea sick, including one of the guides. You will also want to bring extra packets of tissues as the washrooms on Caya Laventado often do not have it.

Rose

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
We're staying @ The Palm Beach Condos. Do you remember seeing these while you were there? any other suggestions on things to do?

As a matter of fact, I do remember seeing them. They look LOVELY and I made a point of noting the name for future reference. They are actually right next door to where we stayed in February (the Tropical Beach). It's a great location and I'm sure you'll be very happy there.

Since you will be there in February, one thing I STRONGLY recommend you do is the whale watching in Samana. We did that last February. I believe the best company to go with is Coco Tours (?). Check with Ken about that, or do a search on "whale watching". There are little "outlets" along the street where you can book your tour.

They offer dramamine to people at the start and I suggest that you take it. A lot of people on our trip got sea sick, including one of the guides. You will also want to bring extra packets of tissues as the washrooms on Caya Laventado often do not have it.

Rose

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
The Palm Beach Condos are absolutely outstanding. Very clean, beautiful gardens, located right in the middle of everything. Right behind PBC on the main street is Dick's Bakery. Excellent, fresh bakery goods daily plus other types of breakfast, fresh squeezed OJ, and very reasonable prices. Be sure to try the Hexenkessel German rest. on main street, large portions, very tasty, very reasonable prices, and a great place for people watching. Have a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.