advice please

marmar

Jan 1, 2004
Dear everyone,

I will be moving down March lst to overlook the construction of a new villa to be built in perla marina. I would appreciate any advice or tips from someone who has done it or has info of others who have.

;) Laurie

marmar

Jan 1, 2004
oops! forgot

I forgot to say "yes I have done all my homework." Thanks

Laurie

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
You need advice on building villas in Perla Marina? Sorry, never built one there before.

Just kidding, but really, what advise are you looking for? DR Construction tips? Where to live? How to move? paperwork? finding builders? furniture? Fill us in a bit more and we can be more helpful.

marmar

Jan 1, 2004
I will be staying at the breezes resort as it is right next door. I suppose I would be interested in any knowledge of potholes others have fallen into so I can avoid them. Also buying furniture and pretty well any other advice would be appreciated. Is it worth buying a car? Shipping furniture? Is 2,500us dollars reasonalble for an invertor with 8 batteries?Thanks

Laurie

:cheeky:

pavel

Nov 14, 2003
pm building

marmar said:
I will be staying at the breezes resort as it is right next door. I suppose I would be interested in any knowledge of potholes others have fallen into so I can avoid them. Also buying furniture and pretty well any other advice would be appreciated. Is it worth buying a car? Shipping furniture? Is 2,500us dollars reasonalble for an invertor with 8 batteries?Thanks

Laurie

Hello LaURIE... very good source in PM is Berni Tiets/ Dominican-realestate.com./ He has an office in PM and all contacts you need. Also could be highly recomended as I dealt with him several times and his reputiation is excellent By the way your choice of location is very good . many new constructions and upgrades are going on there.. Best Rgds.. Pavel

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
marmar, a good contact for you in Perla Marina is Dean and Wanda Brown, American expats. Dean is the Century 21 rep for North Coast so is very knowledeable about matters in that field. But, more important, they are very friendly, outgoing people and will be pleased to be of help to you in every way they can. I am going to send you a message with their email addresses. I suggest you make contact with them. They can be very helpful to you.

You will need a lawyer. A good choice would be Fabio Guzman, the attorney who answers questions in the Legal section of this forum. You can trust him. His email address is info@drlawyer.com and his website is http://www.drlawyer.com/index.htm Do not use any attorny not recommended to you by knowledgeable expats.

Your budget for an inverter should be sufficient.

Living in Perla Marina you will want a car. I recommend that you buy your furniture here. There are a couple of excellent sources for rattan furniture if you are interested in that. Shipping cars, furniture, etc., is not only expensive (more so because of the practices of customs here), but is a terrible headache you will wish you never brought on yourself.

I've been living in the dr since 1986 and in Sosua for more than 3 years. In my message, I'll include my phone number. If my wife and I can be of help to you in any way, let us know.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Here is some advice!

Don't let the "Contractor" get ahead of you with your money!Pay 10% at a time,as construction is completed."Holdback" 15% to be paid only after the house is complete to YOUR satisfaction!I don't see how you are NOT going to get taken Do you know the "average" cost per M2 of construction where you are? The cost of "Block",4",6",8",a bag of cement,sand,gravel,PVC,wire,windows,doors,daily wage per worker,a "Tinaco",do you speak "Dominican"?Do you know the different types of wood used for doors and cabinetts?and their cost per foot?Do you know what wood is eaten by termites,and what wood is "Safe"?Septic system?Water system,Cisterna,or not?
Just some things to consider.How long will construction take? Have you had a "Title Search" done.Do you plan to stay for the entire time that it takes to build? That could be 6 months!(Always double what they tell you!)
I tell you these things so you can be ready,not to discourage you.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccccc

Your "Inverter" question is impossible to answer,until you tell us what you want to run on the system.1 lightbulb,2,50,tv,5 tvs,a water pump,are you going to want 110 volts and 220 volts,computers.air conditioners!How long do you want to have power from the batteries?You may have done "ALL" your homework,but your questions should be very specific.

Last edited:

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Payment

Don't give down payment to the responsible of the contruction
pay them when they finish the work.

Homer simpson

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
marmar said:
Also buying furniture and pretty well any other advice would be appreciated. Is it worth buying a car? Shipping furniture?

Buy your car and furniture in the D.R. Ship only "what you need" but cannot find in the D.R. Rather than a car, recommend a double cabin pick-up. It is a super utility vehicle serving as a passenger car and cargo hauler. It will save you money doing your own hauling. You will not have to depend on the promises of delivery services.

Also, pay attention to Cris.

Regards, PJT

Last edited:

Lesquireau

Jun 29, 2003
jue-walter.de
Well, as a new resident here (in Lomas Mironas-close to Perla Marina) I think I might give a good piece of advice to you, Marmar:

Just go and find a trustworthy real estate agent - whom I found in Martin Haase of Century21. Then have a reliable lawyer- whose name is Guido Perdomo in the Plaza Perdomo in Sosua. After getting the title for the construction site, get a capable architect, Pablo Rivera of Century 21. And what they all have worked out for my family is now to be looked at and evaluated. The constructor did a perfect job,too : he has just finished a 3-bedroom villa with seaview within 6 months, spotless and on time. And all this was done during our absence (we live in Germany). Martin informed us about the ongoing construction itself every 2 or 3 days: we were e-mailed photographs, contracts were scanned and transferred, our money was safely harbored in the Chase-Manhattan Bank.

Now, with our first 2 weeks of vacation in our new residence being nearly over we have come to fix another contract about renting or surveying the house until we come back this summer.

Well, Marmar, you are invited to email us privately, or visit us on our next stay in Lomas Mironas in August on the location, if it pleases you. Feel free to have a look at our house with Martin, whenever you feel like.

Lesquireau

marmar

Jan 1, 2004
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am using Martin from century2l . He has been very helpful and I am using all the people he is associated with in his office. Chris I seemed to have missed the lesson on which wood termites find yummy. The interior doors are pine and the exterior mahogany. Martin showed me a house in lomas mironas that was built in 6 months and it was beautiful. I am only having a small one story house built. I find I live outside for the mostpart in the carribbean.
There will be a large covered terrace and I prefer to sleep outside on a hammock so I can go to sleep with the sound of the surf.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
marmar, have them paint the interior doors good with carbasota (sp?) before they put on the finish. This will help protect them from termites.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OR

Get "Womanized" , pronounced Whoa man ized, wood from Ochoa Ferreter?a in Santiago. Guaranteed for 30 years...

Makes sense...

HB

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Lesquireau said:
Well, as a new resident here (in Lomas Mironas-close to Perla Marina) I think I might give a good piece of advice to you, Marmar:

Just go and find a trustworthy real estate agent - whom I found in Martin Haase of Century21. Then have a reliable lawyer- whose name is Guido Perdomo in the Plaza Perdomo in Sosua. After getting the title for the construction site, get a capable architect, Pablo Rivera of Century 21. And what they all have worked out for my family is now to be looked at and evaluated. The constructor did a perfect job,too : he has just finished a 3-bedroom villa with seaview within 6 months, spotless and on time. And all this was done during our absence (we live in Germany). Martin informed us about the ongoing construction itself every 2 or 3 days: we were e-mailed photographs, contracts were scanned and transferred, our money was safely harbored in the Chase-Manhattan Bank.

Now, with our first 2 weeks of vacation in our new residence being nearly over we have come to fix another contract about renting or surveying the house until we come back this summer.

Well, Marmar, you are invited to email us privately, or visit us on our next stay in Lomas Mironas in August on the location, if it pleases you. Feel free to have a look at our house with Martin, whenever you feel like.

Lesquireau
Is yours the house on the left at the end just build with a 2nd floor balcony with a view?

I have a couple of lots there.

Scott