If this was there, then; I wonder what it was like here, then?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The year is 1903, one hundred years ago... what a difference a century makes. Here are the U. S. statistics for 1903....

The average life expectancy in the US was 47.

Only 14% of the homes in the US had a BATHTUB.

Only 8% of the homes had a TELEPHONE.

A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost $11.

There were only 8,000 CARS in the US and only 144 miles of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than California. With a mere 1.4 million residents, California was only the 21st most populous state in the Union.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.

The average wage in the US was $0.22/hour.

The average US worker made between $200-$400/year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000/year, a dentist $2,500/year, a veterinarian between $1,500-$4,000/year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000/year.

More than 95% of all BIRTHS in the US took place at HOME.

90% of all US physicians had NO COLLEGE education. Instead, they attended medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and by the government as "substandard."

Sugar cost $0.04/pound. Eggs were $0.14/dozen.

Coffee cost $0.15/pound.

Most women only washed their HAIR once a month and used BORAX or EGG YOLKS for shampoo.

Canada passed a law prohibiting POOR people from entering the country for any reason.

The five leading causes of death in the US were:
1. Pneumonia & influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars. Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii and Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was 30.

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented.

There were no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

One in ten US adults couldn't read or write.

Only 6% of all Americans had graduated from HIGH SCHOOL.

Coca Cola contained cocaine.

Marijuana, heroin and morphine were all available over the counter at corner drugstores. According to one pharmacist, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and the bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health."

18% of households in the US had at least one full-time SERVANT or domestic.

There were only about 230 reported MURDERS in the entire US.

Just think what it will be like in another 100 years.

And can you imagine what the DR was like with less than a million people? Total? Santo Domingo that ended at the Parque Independencia? Los Mina a long ferry ride away? Santiago a three day trip? Sosua non-existant? Puerto PLata and MonteCristi with dozens of foreign consulates?

Oh my!

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Jan, try the History and Geography Museum in Plaza de la Cultura or Museo de la Familia Dominicana in the Zona Colonial. There may be some - not many though.

Chiri

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are some interesting sketches

In Charles Hazard's book: A Look at Santo Domingo with a Glance at Hayti

He drew sketches of what the different people and towns looked like.

I know where there is a foto of Santiago in the 1920s...Way different....

HB

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Have things changed?

Under Heureaux, the Dominican government considerably expanded its external debt. Although some improvements to infrastructure resulted, much of the money went to support the dictator's personal extravagances and the financial requirements of his police state. The failure to apply the funds productively exacerbated both domestic budget deficits and shortfalls in the external balance of payments. In an effort to head off complete bankruptcy, the government turned to the familiar expedient of printing paper money. The huge issuance of 1897, however, debased the currency to such an extent that even Dominicans refused to accept it.

From http://www.dominicanrepublic.com/thecountry/history8.html
That ultimately led to American "financial intervention" whereas the US took control of Dominican finances to make sure that the debt was paid as agreed in the 1905 accord.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
history repeats itsefl

When people ask me why I leanr so much history and I have to explain it to them all I will need to do is read that clip. Those who do not study history will repeat it.
John

D.D.

Apr 27, 2002
Jan said:
Where can you find pictures of what it looked like here 100 years ago? Would like to see some.

Jan,

I know where. It just so happens that we just got a fabulouos book as a gift for X-Mas from one of our vendors. I have been wowing since I turned opened the cover. Owesome photos of Santo domingo - late Eighties to the 1960 on 250 glossy pages. I mean photos! Amazingly vivid, high quality black and white marvel of a collection. Can you believe it? I have been turning pages of this book in absolute inerest for a week that my little ol'fingers are starting to hurt. I kid you not.

Santo Domingo
Imaginacion y Vida
1860-1960

By Julio Portillo

It was given to us by Cartonera Dominicana. I beleive they are co-publishers of the book. It was published in Nov 2003 in Caracas. Glancing at the book, one would think that Venezulans and Mexicans have more photos about the history of this country than the Dominicans themselves.

This place was so owesme in the twenties,thirties and 50's than it is now. Some unbelivable pictures of the late 1800's are also on it. Check it out.

D.D.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Sounds Way Cool

Is it available in Santiago at any of the bookstores? Where can I buy a copy?

Tom (aka XR)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Santiago has a museum that you can see how things were. I took one picture inside (yeah yeah). It was of people living there maybe 50 years ago, not sure. I took this picture because I found this man's eyes fascinating. Anyone know what year that would have been? Click here to see it

The museum is called "Leon Museum" very new and interesting.

It's not working so go have a look at the whole thing again

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/26562/

Last edited: