riu merengue and surroundings

D'GIO

Jan 2, 2004
my wife and i are staying at the riu merengue in feb 04. i have heard that many vacationers don't leave the all-inclusive confines, but we would like to visit the towns to the east and hit some of the nicer beaches. what is the best way to travel there (taxi, car rental, ???). we like to explore but are wary due to unfamiliarity.........................please advise

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
If it's your first time in DR I suggest to take a cab into town. The hotel will offer taxi's for $18 US Dollars for a three hour tour . They take you around, show you the area take you to run any errands, shopping or wherever you'd like to go. You can always arrange for them to take you to the beach, they are all very friendly and will give you their phone numbers so you can reach them whenever you need to go somewhere. The car rental is good idea only if you are familiar with the area and have absolutely no fear of hitting someone or something that might jump out at you. They drive like maniacs over there. I've done it but it's a bit nerve wrecking. Would not recommend driving to someone on their first visit. All in all is a great place and you should most definetly get out and about. Hope your trip is great.
Minni

D'GIO

Jan 2, 2004
minni,

thanks for the reply, this is my first time on any type of bulliten board so bear with me. is the driving that crazy ? i want to be able to snorkel and soak up the sun in sosua and then maybe go grab some lunch in town or have the option of driving to cabarete. i don't want to lose the spontaneity factor we may have with a cab...................................d'gio

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You can take local buses

And taxis are great. Do explore. Sosua is about a 40 minute ride from where you are staying. Cabarete is just a few more minutes.

Enjoy, those are good choices.

HB

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
DON'T DRIVE!!!

But don't worry about losing sponteniety or flexibility to go where you want, when you want. When you decide what you want to do, there will be taxis, publicos, Guaguas, and Motoconchos, all ready to take you there. Do get out and about, but don't drive yourself. Getting around from POP to Cabarete is very easy.