Safe from wacko??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moniki

Oct 6, 2003
As we have mentioned before Minni and I have finally booked our trip to DR in Feb. However - we have run into a little problem with a guy who we think might be a bit of a bother. As he knows that we will be traveling to DR and knows which airport we will be flying into...my question is....
How reliable is security in the airports, in the event that the jerk will show up and try something??

We aren't certain that the guy will do anything, however we don't want to underestimate the retard.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is this person someone you know from the Dominican Republic, or from where you live?

What sort of problem are you worried about?

Moniki

Oct 6, 2003
He lives in DR.
Possibly harassment, stalking, etc etc.
I believe he is capable of anything.

There is a possibility that he won't do a thing. I just want to know my options over there in the event that something does occur.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Moniki said:
[B

We aren't certain that the guy will do anything, however we don't want to underestimate the retard. [/B]

Why does this retard as you call him, know the exact date and time you are arriving? The only way he would know is if you told him. So now he's a retard?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If this wacko lives in the DR and is such a concern to you, how did he find out the details of your trip.

Officially, I don't think there are many resources available to you unless the person actually does something harmful.

At your hotel, you can certainly talk with the manager if this person starts hanging around. I'm sure the hotel doesn't want wackos on the premises.

Do you have any Dominican friends that can help you. If nothing else, I'm sure they can find someone who, for a few dollars, will beat the crap out of the person who is bothering you.

Moniki

Oct 6, 2003
He knows about the trip

because we have been planning it for a while....and he was part of the original plan. As things have taken a turn for the better - because his true colors are showing.....he has been omitted from the plan. We have informed him that we will not be going as have other friends that live over there with which he has made contact. He doesn't know exactly where we are staying but if he goes to the airport he can follow us. The consolation is that there is security at the hotel.

OK maybe retard isn't the best word....for him at least. Hahaha

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I was serious when I recommended that you ask your Dominican friends to help you if this guy proves to be a problem.

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
Ok so the wacko is someone I was seeing. He lives in POP. He knows cause I told him (we were going to stay together) . Now the relationship has ended and he won't take no for an answer. Has decided that he is madly in love with me and can't live without me. I mean, come on we saw each other five times and communicated by phone and email but I think its a bit much. He thought I was his meal ticket to the US. Anyway he calls my mom, Moniki and anyone else he thinks can help him out where I am concerned. Its very annoying and frustrating. I have been pretty nasty to him to try to get him to stop calling me and my friends but no luck. Its like yelling at a wall. I even told him I would call his mother and tell her what he was doing. Obviously not a detterent. So my concern is that he'll show up at the airport and cause some sort of ruckus. He dosen't know where we are staying but its a small world. I've told him as well as has Moniki that we cancelled our trip but he says that we are lying. So thats my dilema.
Minni

Dec 9, 2002
If you are that concerned about him "doing something" why don't you just change the date of your trip? OK, so it may cost you a few $$$ but surely it would be worth it for peace of mind?

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
I have consireded changing the dates but its not the money so much as the dates. those are the only one sthat we can take off. If we were to change the dates we would have to go in the summer. Plus we have already paid in full for the villa rental. So I'll just grin and bear it and if he does try anything I'll call the cops or the villa security.

marmar

Jan 1, 2004
Dear Minni

Perhaps you and your girlfriend could befriend some single men going down on the same plane. When deplaning have them collect luggage together and maybe share transportation to your villa - paying their fare. This way if he shows up you can introduce your new friends as your travel companions. He'll definitely catch your drift and you can repay the new guys with lots of dr info. Take care,

Laurie

P.S. Is there any chance he could be watching the forum?

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
Laurie,
Thats a good idea. I also know some people in Santo Domingo that can wait for us at the airport. They are like family, so maybe I'll ask them for the favor. As to whether he checks the forum, I doubt it. He does speak english but has trouble reading and writing it. I have never told him the name of this forum, so chances are pretty slim. Thanks for the advice.
Minni

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If he misbehaves, call the hotel security on him and then call the tourist police. He will get a nice weekend beating in a small cell and may still spend the duration of your vacation time in jail. Police will not tolerate any tourist hassasment from locals.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Part of this should be a Sticky

See? This is what we always warn about...

I am glad Minni saw through her "true Love" from the entertainment crew...but look at the price she is paying now...

If you have an "itch" that needs scratching, all well and good. Use condoms, don't give any ID and use fake names...

Please read the Golden Rules in the Men are from Mars section of the board..

HB

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
Thats right Nelly. He wasn't in animation. He was someone I met, liked and thought I stuff in common with. Things were going good for a while but things changed. He would call late at night to see if I was home or out dancing. Would cry on the phone saying how much he missed me, wanted to control the things I did from all the way over there. I sent him a jacket and a sweater for the holidays and he said that I was trying to buy him. He then proceeded to ask me for a locket that he could put my picture in. You figure that one out. A jacket will buy him but not a locket......Anyway that is over, he was acting like a stalker. So, know when I go in Feb. I'll meet up with some friends and god willing he won't be around.
Minni

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Perhaps deep inside....

Minni said:
He then proceeded to ask me for a locket that he could put my picture in. You figure that one out.
he's just a romantic. Else why would a guy, expecially a macho Dominican, want a lockett? Does he have a very tiny picture to put in it? Well, since he is such a cry baby I guess anything's possible.

Best, P

AZB's advice sounds like pretty solid stuff....let the guy entertain a few "hungry" cell mates for the weekend.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
In his defence (but only a little), the request for a locket from you might seem like a big thing to ask but from where his is sitting it looks (to him) like this would be a mere drop in the bucket for you. He may have been sincere about wanting to wear your photo. You might be uncomfortable with his enthusiastic interest in you because some Dominican men tend to be more outwardly passionate than say your typical Canadian, for example. ( I really hate to generalize, so sorry) Anyway, I guess my point is that when you evaluate his behavior based on your own cultural experiences you might see him in the wrong light. Or perhaps your insight is spot on, and in that case call the cops if he shows his face! ;) lol
Buena Suerte y Cuidado!

Status
Not open for further replies.